or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 2022

post #30316 of 43836

It gives me no pleasure to post this outfit here.  I am greatly embarrassed by it on many levels, but I did wear it so here goes nothing.  

 

:hide:

 

 

Open at your own risk. (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

I don't think anyone here is a fan of this cardigan to start.  There's an orange/rust windowpane in the jacket which I thought went nicely with the cardigan.  There is a green windowpane in the jacket as well so I thought the green of the black watch shirt would work with the jacket as well.  Of course, a solid blue shirt or something or another would have worked better, but I like the shirt, cardigan, jacket pairing.  The tie on the other hand was the biggest mistake in my opinion.  I'm not sure what I was thinking.  I choose the pocket square because of its similarity to the tie.  Both are too much.  The pants are cotton.  I think a heavier fabric trouser would have been a better bet given the beefiness of the tweed jacket.  Ok.  Let me have, guys.  I completely deserve it on this one.  :( 

post #30317 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

In my experience, the single items of clothing which draw the most attention/compliments are my solid knit ties in sober colors.

In mine - leather jackets, from both men and women, knowledgeable or not, stylish or not, fashionable or not.  Leather jackets, especially in iconic shapes (cafe racer, Type III, MC double rider style, etc...) have a cultural currency that very few garments seem to have.  Um, don't let me interrupt the argument, please.

post #30318 of 43836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

its really amazing how this thread never changes.

I hope @voxsartoria is watching.

He reads this thread as he poops. And he looks like a man who eats a lot of red meat.
post #30319 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Had to post twice in this thread this year at least…..
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Ermenegildo Zegna Silk Blend "Resort" Jacket
Truzzi Milano Shirt
Yellow Hook Neckties Navy Wool Tie
Vintage English Silk Hand Rolled Ancient Madder Pocketsquare

 

Please post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/514216/friday-challenge-18-dec-2015-herringbone

post #30320 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

 

EPIC FAIL!  Need some work on that pose.  Nice suit though.  The wide lapels make you look a bit top heavy in my opinion.  Especially given how slim the pants and you are.  It's still dope though.  

 

 

 

It's because I'm so super buff.  First time someone has said something about the lapels making me "top heavy"...and I've had the suit for about two years :) 

 

BTW, I don't think it's awesome that you actually wore that outfit...but I think it's awesome that you posted it.

post #30321 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post


Also, the posters have made clear that this thread is the equivalent of a glossy magazine for looking at pictures and thumbing them. Witness one of my rare attempts to give specific advice to plaid shirt man and use specific language to frame the issue, only to be trolled my @Murlsquirl
. Any exposition beyond "burn it," "sick fades," or "where 2 kop" is poo-pooed. This is probably why there are 12 different analysis threads trying to fill this gap.

Oh, don't get all sensitive on me. I was giving you crap for saying in 50 words what could have been said in 10. There was nothing wrong with your feedback. It was on point.
post #30322 of 43836

But sometimes it's worth using 50 words, just like it's worth wearing a suit instead of a T-shirt.

I don't really believe in a Hemingwayian race to the bottom.

 

But I feel you, bro.

post #30323 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

But sometimes it's worth using 50 words, just like it's worth wearing a suit instead of a T-shirt.
I don't really believe in a Hemingwayian race to the bottom.

But I feel you, bro.

True. cheers.gif
post #30324 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

But sometimes it's worth using 50 words, just like it's worth wearing a suit instead of a T-shirt.

I don't really believe in a Hemingwayian race to the bottom.

 

But I feel you, bro.

Fuck that.

post #30325 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post
 

It gives me no pleasure to post this outfit here.  I am greatly embarrassed by it on many levels, but I did wear it so here goes nothing.  

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not seeing how this is different AAS 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
:)
post #30326 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

@PCK1 , it's possible to be right and a dick at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


^ Agreed.

I do think there is, in general, not enough constructive and well meaning criticism in this thread. I don't know why this is; in part I wonder if because many of those who used to proffer criticism, even good criticism, often did so with condescending, belittling, or dismissive tone, all criticism has then been tainted, and those providing it aren't given the benefit of the doubt (i.e. even those offering it couched in diplomatic and friendly language are perceived as being belittling and belittling under the guise of being helpful).

Or perhaps we just feel that others would feel this way, and so refrain from criticism.

Or perhaps people no longer care?

Regardless, I think it is from this that PCK1's posts derive their tone. A reaction to the above circumstance rather than the outfits/items themselves.

I did start a thread a few weeks ago to try and address this. Appears to be going nowhere fast.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/513227/the-constructive-criticism-thread-15-thumb-minimum#post_8207746

---
Butchy, my knits get a lot of attention, too.

 

Clags...you are on the money.

 

I offer up criticism's which I think are entirely valid.  Am I 100% spot on all the time?...no...but in general I think the criticism's I provide are well-intentioned, fair, justified, and backed by enough reasoning/experience to help someone improve. 

 

However, this thread has fallen to the wayside in terms of actually helping people understand the principles of classic menswear and thus improve their wardrobe and personal style. Now... whenever anyone offers a criticism...there is this huge backlash against the person offering advice....even if the advice is extremely sound!

 

So...to combat this backlash...I offer a disclaimer that I don't intend to insult and that I promise my criticism is well-intentioned...and then I lay-it-on because I find that if you aren't somewhat hard hitting...then your point just gets drowned or even worse you get flak for even daring to offer a criticism.

 

As for you Koala-T... See...I don't think I was being a dick. I think I was right from the beginning...and then when people stepped in and tried to obfuscate my very sound advice...I needed to defend it for the sake of this new member who is trying to learn so that he understands clearly...and because the principle regarding the shirt itself deserved to be defended. 

 

This thead would do well to offer up more criticism. Even being critical of those whose ensembles are at a very advanced level.

 

Just like a had something to say about the plaid shirt on the new member...I also equally criticized Murl's outfit today...because I really felt that it was incomplete without a pocket square. And while I understand his work situation...that doesn't change the fact that his outfit would have benefitted from a pocket square. 

post #30327 of 43836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

 

 

It's because I'm so super buff.  First time someone has said something about the lapels making me "top heavy"...and I've had the suit for about two years :) 

 

BTW, I don't think it's awesome that you actually wore that outfit...but I think it's awesome that you posted it.

 

In particular, the suit reminds me of the liverano cut.  You may have a large drop already, but I think that cut accentuates the shoulder/waist differential especially on slim guys.  I know that some find that silhouette flattering, but I'm not a fan of it in general.  

 

I post all my fits in hopes of getting feedback on them, which has been few and far between as mentioned by Clags. I've always enjoyed constrained problem solving.  I like parts of the outfit and feel it could have worked with a different tie, pocket square and pants.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
 

 

 

I'm not seeing how this is different AAS 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
:)

 

:rotflmao:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
:(
post #30328 of 43836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

Clags...you are on the money.

...Am I 100% spot on all the time?...no...but in general I think the criticism's I provide are well-intentioned, fair, justified, and backed by enough reasoning/experience to help someone improve. 

...there is this huge backlash against the person offering advice....even if the advice is extremely sound!

So...and then I lay-it-on because I find that if you aren't somewhat hard hitting...then your point just gets drowned or even worse you get flak for even daring to offer a criticism.

...

This thead would do well to offer up more criticism. Even being critical of those whose ensembles are at a very advanced level.

I agree that this thread would benefit--as would readers and posters--from more criticism. And I hope you continue to offer it.

But accuracy of criticism doesn't in anyway speak to the manner in which it is delivered. I disagree that it is necessary to be "hard hitting" to be effective; I think these last several pages demonstrate that the opposite may be true.

Anyway, here is an outfit from some time ago. Didn't post it here as it was a random candid shot on my wife's iPhone

post #30329 of 43836

Hello gentlemen, first time for me, too... Hope to contribute more in the future. Earlier today...

 

Additional details (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

post #30330 of 43836
Had some fun shooting around town with the Mrs.
Private label suit
Tailor made shirt
Loake strands in Walnut
Private label tie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)