or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1712

post #25666 of 43881
I deeply appreciate Ac's commitment to standards of aesthetic excellence, real and imagined.
post #25667 of 43881

Blue shirt camp, here.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliodA View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrown View Post
 



While I recognize that a lighter blue may be more correct, I think it generally looks worse on me, so I choose white as my base most often. The beauty of styleforum though is other peoples opinions and hearing them out.

 

Sorry, man, but you've violated article 30.97.72 of the Codex Sartorialis Mantonensis and your outfit is deemed illegal. You are hereby sentenced to posting an outfit with this same jacket, but with a light blue shirt before the end of this week.

If you fail to comply, you will be expelled from this forum. :D

 

:D

 

 

(seriously tho.. do what he says Sc)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

What is there to say?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

\

 

 

Well I could say that that shirt shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a tie, but I won't. 

 

And BTW, what r u, Welsh?

post #25668 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Mr. Six, the aesthetics argument is weak, and the cultural argument even weaker. In large part the term "white shirt" is a retronym because there really were just white shirts as this sartorial cul de sac we love kicked off. The blue shirt comes later, and while many prefer it, it's not more correct in the context of SCB's outfit. White shirts are not inherently formal. The type of cloth and cut must be considered when making that determination.
 

 

I hate debating aesthetics on the internet, since it rarely goes anywhere useful. Suffice it to say that I'll stick with my original statement that the white shirt in that fit looked OK but a blue shirt would have looked better.

 

I'm not sure I fully understand your other argument. Is it that men wearing suits initially only wore white shirts because there was no other option, and if there was no other option there can't be any association of formality with them? I can't agree with that because of the social and cultural associations with white shirts that have developed over time since then. Those associations have relaxed more recently but I don't think they're gone entirely and they matter because dressing occurs in context, at least IMO.

post #25669 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Al View Post
 

 

I'm not so sure about this combo.

The main issue is the shirt & tie; they don't go together that well; formal tie and informal shirt. I think it would be better with a plain shirt, maybe white or sky.

The tie & suit are very funeral. That dark suit needs a splash of colour. 

And than there's a PS that's disintegrated with the overall impression, but could work well with a sky shirt and navy tie.

Each item is ok, but don't like it that well together. 

I dig it. Jacket is a navy blazer with patch pockets, worn with rumpled tan trousers and suede shoes. I'm so out of practice posting I forgot that there was nothing in there to imply that. With a navy suit, I would probably avoid this shirt entirely.

 

The tie reads a little more casual in real life – it drapes like linen or something, though I don't know what it's made of. The only tag is from a defunct menswear store in West Orange, New Jersey, with the very unfortunate name of "Stasi."

 

Ac2, "haircut' implies it's been cut recently. Unfortunately, the only competent barber in this town has gotten a little more openly racist than I feel like dealing with.

post #25670 of 43881
Thread Starter 

Edited by Claghorn - 8/27/15 at 7:13pm
post #25671 of 43881

@Claghorn what are the deets on the tie?

 

Love the look.

post #25672 of 43881
Thread Starter 
Arbor Knot. Don't know if they're still around, but the tie was given to me as a sample in early 2013. I think @emptym has one too. Whatever they used as a lining was amazing
post #25673 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Mr. Six, the aesthetics argument is weak, and the cultural argument even weaker. In large part the term "white shirt" is a retronym because there really were just white shirts as this sartorial cul de sac we love kicked off. The blue shirt comes later, and while many prefer it, it's not more correct in the context of SCB's outfit. White shirts are not inherently formal. The type of cloth and cut must be considered when making that determination.

I don't object to blue shirts (you'll note that most of mine are blue), but a white shirt makes for a very crisp, high-contrast look that comes off very well.

As for why my assertion is undeniably sensible, well, I made it, so...

biggrin.gif

Fake white shirt menswear canon again!!! A white shirt is another shirt

Deets on the shoes please...nod[1].gif
post #25674 of 43881
Wearing a light blue shirt, because I'll be forever scared to wear a white one again.

Just a upper half detail shot, because the jacket is embarrassingly chopped in the tail.

If anyone has an alternative to SuitSupply in the $400-$600 range for odd jackets that have a slightly longer length, please let me know. The R sizes fit me perfect except they don't cover my butt, the L sizes are long enough but are slimmer, and I look like a stuffed sausage.

Jacket is Suitsupply
Shirt by Proper Cloth
Tie and PS from Kent Wang

post #25675 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
 

 

 

Well I could say that that shirt shouldn't be within a hundred miles of a tie, but I won't. 

 

And BTW, what r u, Welsh?

Yeah, this was an experiment that didn't pay off well enough to repeat.
 

 

And I'm Welsh/Cornish (by way of coal mines in Michigan) in part, but it's really more like if you just shake the British Isles enough you eventually end up with me.

post #25676 of 43881

Apropos of the white shirt debate, I was surprised to discover that white house paint is a relatively recent (early 1900s) invention.

 

The novelty value of white paint ensured its widespread uptake and subsequent popularity for the rest of that century, to the detriment of thousands of gorgeous Victorian-era houses in Melbourne (my home town) which had been constructed using polychrome brick patterns and then lavishly decorated in multiple other colours:

 

 

The vast majority of such homes were painted over in white, thereby hiding all of their period glory. Here's a similar home to the above, defiled in this way:

 

 

Of course, some may prefer this. But it's egregiously inauthentic.

 

Worse still, in the 1970s as people gradually started to rediscover an appreciation for the original Victorian colour schemes, many home renovators took to their painted facades with sand-blasting machines. This of course destroyed the tuck-pointing which is such a delightful feature of brick structures from this period, as well as gouging out much of the mortar holding the brickwork together.

 

Here's what good Victorian tuck-pointing looks like:

 

 

And here's a typical result from sandblasting such a surface:

 

 

Yuk.

 

Sorry for this little diversion, but long before I was a clothes tragic, I was a period home restoration obsessive.

post #25677 of 43881

@Coxsackie, I believe at least in certain parts of the Mediterrenean it is already common to paint houses white for quite a bit longer....

 

post #25678 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Mr. Six, the aesthetics argument is weak, and the cultural argument even weaker. In large part the term "white shirt" is a retronym because there really were just white shirts as this sartorial cul de sac we love kicked off. The blue shirt comes later, and while many prefer it, it's not more correct in the context of SCB's outfit. White shirts are not inherently formal. The type of cloth and cut must be considered when making that determination.

I don't object to blue shirts (you'll note that most of mine are blue), but a white shirt makes for a very crisp, high-contrast look that comes off very well.

As for why my assertion is undeniably sensible, well, I made it, so...

biggrin.gif

Fake white shirt menswear canon
again!!! A white shirt is another shirt

Deets on the shoes please...nod[1].gif

 

 

There u go again, setting up your straw man. Foo's hyperbole in that thread is an (over)reaction to the excessive and particularly  the indiscriminate deployment of white shirts by the non-discerning masses.  But he has a point. Blue is almost always better.  White signifies formality more strongly. But yeah, it's not about absolutes.

post #25679 of 43881

@CaptainTohm have you tried Luigi Bianchi Mantova?  Easily available for that price range, very light construction, generally nice fabrics, and built long in the sleeves and fairly long in the body.  I believe their factory makes for a few other labels, too.  

post #25680 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post

@CaptainTohm
 have you tried Luigi Bianchi Mantova?  Easily available for that price range, very light construction, generally nice fabrics, and built long in the sleeves and fairly long in the body.  I believe their factory makes for a few other labels, too.  

I have not! I'll be sure to check them out, thank you!

I've been very impressed with the SuSu offerings fabric-wise, but most of the truly impressive fabrics come in overly trendy fits for my tall and thick-ish build. I've also been considering Kent Wang's MTM due to my love of his other offerings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)