or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1711

post #25651 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Please stop regurgitating this "rule"

Looking good, SCB!

 

Is it a rule? if so, i am unaware of it.

 

I am speaking strictly from my personal view on aesthetics ; it is one of those things i do by rote - all those earth tones would look demonstrably better (to me at least) with a shirt other than white; especially with that beautiful jacket.

 

Btw SB, impressive use of a light tie - which i am often too lily-livered to attempt. Gren fina?

post #25652 of 43970
Quote:

 

Is it a rule? if so, i am unaware of it.

 

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309772/how-to-wear-a-white-shirt/0_50

post #25653 of 43970
Quote:



While I recognize that a lighter blue may be more correct, I think it generally looks worse on me, so I choose white as my base most often. The beauty of styleforum though is other peoples opinions and hearing them out.

post #25654 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrown View Post
 



While I recognize that a lighter blue may be more correct, I think it generally looks worse on me, so I choose white as my base most often. The beauty of styleforum though is other peoples opinions and hearing them out.

 

Sorry, man, but you've violated article 30.97.72 of the Codex Sartorialis Mantonensis and your outfit is deemed illegal. You are hereby sentenced to posting an outfit with this same jacket, but with a light blue shirt before the end of this week.

If you fail to comply, you will be expelled from this forum. :D

post #25655 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post

That's great stuff, SB.

cheers.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTRC View Post

ScBrown, is the shirt white? I hope not, because the SC and 'pents' needs a blue shirt of sorts


Please stop regurgitating this "rule"


Looking good, SCB!

I'd like you to keep repeating it. A blue shirt would have been better here. The white shirt looks OK in this instance, but it is visually at odds with the rest.

That's nonsense. This is purely preference, and it would serve everyone better to phrase objections as stated preference rather than shoulds. As MrTRC does in his follow-up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTRC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Please stop regurgitating this "rule"


Looking good, SCB!

Is it a rule? if so, i am unaware of it.

I am speaking strictly from my personal view on aesthetics ; it is one of those things i do by rote - all those earth tones would look demonstrably better (to me at least) with a shirt other than white; especially with that beautiful jacket.

Btw SB, impressive use of a light tie - which i am often too lily-livered to attempt. Gren fina?

Thanks! Yes, this is a fina.
post #25656 of 43970
Untipped (but lined)

post #25657 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post
 

 

Sorry, man, but you've violated article 30.97.72 of the Codex Sartorialis Mantonensis and your outfit is deemed illegal. You are hereby sentenced to posting an outfit with this same jacket, but with a light blue shirt before the end of this week.

If you fail to comply, you will be expelled from this forum. :D

 

I choose trial by combat

post #25658 of 43970

How to wear a white shirt: literally any time you feel the inclination to wear a shirt.

 

Obviously there's a fair bit of snark in that assessment, but it's me to a T. Nothing better than a solid white twill shirt for my money.

post #25659 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerglas View Post

Not that I am aware of, I guess it's just the scandinavian thing.

Probably, yeah. Plus it's been quite a while since I've seen a photo of him. Is he still around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Did someone call security? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Now that's a beautiful tie knot.
post #25660 of 43970

What is there to say?

 

\

post #25661 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

What is there to say?

 

\

 

I'm not so sure about this combo.

The main issue is the shirt & tie; they don't go together that well; formal tie and informal shirt. I think it would be better with a plain shirt, maybe white or sky.

The tie & suit are very funeral. That dark suit needs a splash of colour. 

And than there's a PS that's disintegrated with the overall impression, but could work well with a sky shirt and navy tie.

Each item is ok, but don't like it that well together. 

post #25662 of 43970
Quote:
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

I'd like you to keep repeating it. A blue shirt would have been better here. The white shirt looks OK in this instance, but it is visually at odds with the rest.

That's nonsense. This is purely preference, and it would serve everyone better to phrase objections as stated preference rather than shoulds. As MrTRC does in his follow-up:
 

 

I see, my declarative statement that a blue shirt would have better is nonsense but your declarative statement that it's a matter of preference is undeniably sensible. :confused:

 

I don't think that the aesthetics or cultural associations/social context of white shirts are a matter of preference. One can choose to disregard them as a matter of personal preference, and I and others can point out that another choice would have been better and have avoided some degree of incoherence as a matter of social context. I don't really see what's so objectionable about the latter position whereas yours is completely accecptable--particularly in a forum for discussion of these issues. (Unless one wants to assert that hashing this over again is objectionable, which maybe I agree with, but I didn't start it. :D

post #25663 of 43970
Quote:


Thanks. It was sure an interesting read.

post #25664 of 43970
Mr. Six, the aesthetics argument is weak, and the cultural argument even weaker. In large part the term "white shirt" is a retronym because there really were just white shirts as this sartorial cul de sac we love kicked off. The blue shirt comes later, and while many prefer it, it's not more correct in the context of SCB's outfit. White shirts are not inherently formal. The type of cloth and cut must be considered when making that determination.

I don't object to blue shirts (you'll note that most of mine are blue), but a white shirt makes for a very crisp, high-contrast look that comes off very well.

As for why my assertion is undeniably sensible, well, I made it, so...

biggrin.gif
post #25665 of 43970
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

What is there to say?

 

\

 

 

I object to the haircut I imagine you have.  Cropping will not save you.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac (;))

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)