Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1688

post #25306 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post

It is a Neopolitan Pizza so it is made to be eaten with a knife and a fork. Whenever I eat an American (New York, Chicago, ect..) pizza I always use my hands. To eat a Napoli style pizza with one's hands would be uncouth.

That's nonsense. It's common to get your pizza served on a piece of paper in Napoli. No knife or fork to be seen. No seats either in some cases, you eat it standing at a counter or in the street.
The word pizza derives from the Greek pita, which means bread. It is the most basic and unpretentious food staple there is.
post #25307 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

That's nonsense. It's common to get your pizza served on a piece of paper in Napoli. No knife or fork to be seen. No seats either in some cases, you eat it standing at a counter or in the street.
The word pizza derives from the Greek pita, which means bread. It is the most basic and unpretentious food staple there is.

I don't know about Napoli but some neopolitan style pizza joints near me make the middle of the pizza so thin that picking it up would only make a mess as the toppings slide off the bread. One of them actually recommends using a knife and fork. It depends on the pie.
post #25308 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

That's nonsense. It's common to get your pizza served on a piece of paper in Napoli. No knife or fork to be seen. No seats either in some cases, you eat it standing at a counter or in the street.
The word pizza derives from the Greek pita, which means bread. It is the most basic and unpretentious food staple there is.

Shit got real.
post #25309 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaconne View Post

I don't know about Napoli but some neopolitan style pizza joints near me make the middle of the pizza so thin that picking it up would only make a mess as the toppings slide off the bread. One of them actually recommends using a knife and fork. It depends on the pie.

A Neapolitan pizza isn't supposed to be thin. smile.gif
Basically, it's a kind of bread as I wrote. The toppings are just flavouring. Anyway, when eaten street style, you fold it up.

13348253573a.jpg
post #25310 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post


This is how it's done, too, here in Canada! The only places you eat pizza holding the crust are in festivals or outdoor-y leisure-type activities. In a restaurant, people use a fork and knife.

 

So it´s done in Germany, too

post #25311 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCologne View Post

So it´s done in Germany, too

Exactly. I am in a sit down restaurant serving Napoli style pizza, so a knife and fork is correct.
post #25312 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post

Exactly. I am in a sit down restaurant serving Napoli style pizza, so a knife and fork is correct.

But then you should take off your hat. wink.gif
post #25313 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

But then you should take off your hat. wink.gif

I am seated at the bar, not a table. wink.gif
post #25314 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post


That's nonsense. It's common to get your pizza served on a piece of paper in Napoli. No knife or fork to be seen. No seats either in some cases, you eat it standing at a counter or in the street.
The word pizza derives from the Greek pita, which means bread. It is the most basic and unpretentious food staple there is.

 

Yes, but also no, but then again, yes.

 

Sure, if you eat pizza from a street vendor etc. you do that. But, if you go to any pizza restaurant in Italy (and certainly in Napoli), or indeed any genuine Neapolitan place anywhere else in the world, you will be given a knife and fork. It will not be pre-cut into slices for you as in the USA.

 

It's a bit like sushi in Tokyo. Sure, originally it was street food and people ate it with their hands - and some still insist on doing this in Tokyo especially if you are eating sushi at a stall in the fish market, for example, but the more restaurant-based it has become the more that the etiquette has shifted to using chopsticks. The fact that it originated as street food has become an interesting historical-etymological story that no longer defines the culture associated with it.

 

US pizza culture is another thing again....

 

 

post #25315 of 45948

All of this is making me feel deeply inadequate.  I have no hat, and I have no pizza.

 

Anyway, today.  (Apropos a discussion on another thread, the shirt is royal oxford, worn here with a grenadine grossa.)

 


 

Close-up; shoes. (Click to show)

 

 

 

post #25316 of 45948
My Grandpa from Hungary eats everything with a knife and a fork, including the most generic American Pizza, and I love my grandfather more than anything, but I can't help but have a horrifed look on my face when we are at the mall, and he is eating a Sbarro pizza with a plastic knife and a fork. As stated above, a lot of it is cultural and generational.
post #25317 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

All of this is making me feel deeply inadequate.  I have no hat, and I have no pizza.

Anyway, today.  (Apropos a discussion on another thread, the shirt is royal oxford, worn here with a grenadine grossa.)





  Close-up; shoes. (Click to show)







Even though you're pizza-less, I love the slimming lines of this suit. What brand/cut is it?

I'm a sucker for vest lapels.
post #25318 of 45948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

All of this is making me feel deeply inadequate.  I have no hat, and I have no pizza.

 

Anyway, today.  (Apropos a discussion on another thread, the shirt is royal oxford, worn here with a grenadine grossa.)

 


 

Close-up; shoes. (Click to show)

 

 

 

Are you very tall, very thin, both, or is that suit just very slimming? :)

post #25319 of 45948

re:  pizza and Tibor.  the important thing to remember here is that Tibor is posing for a photo.  This isn't real life.  It is dressing up for a staged photo.  Cosplay, what have you.

post #25320 of 45948

Chocosa is 6 ft 9; Academic is a 7footer?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)