or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1595

post #23911 of 43890
Gents,

Thanks for all the thumbs on my last fit. Pics from Sunday, not the best but you get the idea smile.gif






Warning: The Full English Breakfast! (Click to show)

Edited by JHT652 - 7/28/15 at 7:00am
post #23912 of 43890



Ring
️Zegna
Rubinacci
Vanda
EG
post #23913 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post

This awesome outfit is deserving of more thumbs than it has in almost about 6 hrs of post. The combo, a definite yes. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Thanks a lot! I was happy with it - and it's actually the first time I wore that tie as it always felt too plain before getting a bolder striped shirt. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Cuff is good and if anything, I would make them slimmer. High rise and wider legs is not an obligatory combination.

Ha, plot thickens. I have a grey pair I've worn a lot on here that is slimmer, but I feel like I'm not in the position you, EFV, Choc, and a few others are in with regard to being able to carry (at least as well) a slimmer pant given the wider hips and proportionately larger backside and thighs. Again, because the taper from top to bottom ends up being so severe. The wider pant aesthetic is growing on me too, though, so I'm more inclined to go that direction with these and can always swing back the other way if it doesn't work. Good point for everyone on high-waisted not automatically equalling wider legs.
Slimmer Grey Flannels (Click to show)






post #23914 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post


Thanks a lot! I was happy with it - and it's actually the first time I wore that tie as it always felt too plain before getting a bolder striped shirt. Cheers.
Ha, plot thickens. I have a grey pair I've worn a lot on here that is slimmer, but I feel like I'm not in the position you, EFV, Choc, and a few others are in with regard to being able to carry (at least as well) a slimmer pant given the wider hips and proportionately larger backside and thighs. Again, because the taper from top to bottom ends up being so severe. The wider pant aesthetic is growing on me too, though, so I'm more inclined to go that direction with these and can always swing back the other way if it doesn't work. Good point for everyone on high-waisted not automatically equalling wider legs.

 

You should avoid cuffs IMO.  Shortens your lower half and makes you look shorter and dis-proportioned.  Or at least go for a very minimal cuff?

post #23915 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post

Thanks a lot! I was happy with it - and it's actually the first time I wore that tie as it always felt too plain before getting a bolder striped shirt. Cheers.

Ha, plot thickens. I have a grey pair I've worn a lot on here that is slimmer, but I feel like I'm not in the position you, EFV, Choc, and a few others are in with regard to being able to carry (at least as well) a slimmer pant given the wider hips and proportionately larger backside and thighs. Again, because the taper from top to bottom ends up being so severe. The wider pant aesthetic is growing on me too, though, so I'm more inclined to go that direction with these and can always swing back the other way if it doesn't work. Good point for everyone on high-waisted not automatically equalling wider legs.

You should avoid cuffs IMO.  Shortens your lower half and makes you look shorter and dis-proportioned.  Or at least go for a very minimal cuff?

FALSE!
post #23916 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post

[...]

Future jackets will be roomier and longer for sure. One step at a time smile.gif

Thanks to you both for the feedback - all very helpful.

 

I’m really glad to hear this.

 

I’ve always liked your fits in every respect except the tailoring which occasionally looked just a bit tight to me.  (Never prevented a ‘thumb’, however.)

 

It often wasn’t anything obvious like pulling at the buttoning point.  But it was enough to make it look like you weren’t entirely comfortable and that freedom of movement would be restricted.

 

I understand that these days many men like their clothes tighter they used to, and that even within quite traditional British tailoring there’s been a place for the closely tailored coat (think certain Row styles which draw upon military and equestrian traditions).   But your fabric preferences strike me as a bit more congruent with a slightly more forgiving cut.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #23917 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


FALSE!


Not false.  Cuffs are very difficult to pull off when you are height challenged.  The pictures speak for themselves.  His lower "looks" shorter than his upper.

 

Say it's false if you want, but it is what it is.

post #23918 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post


Not false.  Cuffs are very difficult to pull off when you are height challenged.  The pictures speak for themselves.  His lower "looks" shorter than his upper.

Say it's false if you want, but it is what it is.

I'm shorter as well and cuff all my trousers. Usually 2". I've worn plain bottom and they make me feel shorter and drape is off on the trouser. Cuffs win in almost every situation
post #23919 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

I’m really glad to hear this.

I’ve always liked your fits in every respect except the tailoring which occasionally looked just a bit tight to me.  (Never prevented a ‘thumb’, however.)

It often wasn’t anything obvious like pulling at the buttoning point.  But it was enough to make it look like you weren’t entirely comfortable and that freedom of movement would be restricted.

I understand that these days many men like their clothes tighter they used to, and that even within quite traditional British tailoring there’s been a place for the closely tailored coat (think certain Row styles which draw upon military and equestrian traditions).   But your fabric preferences strike me as a bit more congruent with a slightly more forgiving cut.

Cheers,

Ac

Thanks, Ac, means a lot. I think I've come to have a pretty decent sense of color/fabric combinations but you're absolutely right that fit has been the overall wildcard. When I first started taking a deeper interest in clothing in general, I always felt like, "I'm small, wearing anything loose or long would just make me look smaller" - which in time you come to understand isn't true, though it's true in the sense of "I look like I'm swimming in this Banana Republic shirt." So I started having things made but tipped the scales too far, causing the "looks stiff" feedback I've gotten a few times here. Most of it moves fine, and you can always choose the picture to share where things aren't pulling, but you're right it's got a lot of room for improvement.

I still like nearly all of my stuff, and will continue to wear it, but it's been a very interesting journey to start swinging back the other direction in terms of length and room in my clothing dimensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post


Not false.  Cuffs are very difficult to pull off when you are height challenged.  The pictures speak for themselves.  His lower "looks" shorter than his upper.

Say it's false if you want, but it is what it is.

I quite literally do have a shorter lower than upper - by a good margin of torso to legs. Finding a roadbike in a traditional straight top-tube geometry was rough! I hear what you're saying, but so far in my experience I just don't see what you see where cuffs cause that issue to be amplified. Pants that are too short or to tight are far more often the culprit in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

I'm shorter as well and cuff all my trousers. Usually 2". I've worn plain bottom and they make me feel shorter and drape is off on the trouser. Cuffs win in almost every situation

Definitely think the extra weight the cuffs provide makes them sit and move so much nicer than not having them. Still not sure whether I'll do cuff or no-cuff on suits from here on out - will be hard not to!
post #23920 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post

The pictures speak for themselves.

Except that they clearly say different things to different people.

Clearly the irony of my all-caps retort was lost. For both of us, I think this is appropriate:

post #23921 of 43890

post #23922 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post

You should avoid cuffs IMO.  Shortens your lower half and makes you look shorter and dis-proportioned.  Or at least go for a very minimal cuff?

I don't think a piece of accoutrement like cuffs has anything to do with the embodiment of one's physiognomy i.e. appearing shorter, taller than one actually looks. The consensus on SF borders on the display of the entire outfit, coordination and fit for purpose (size/length of jacket/trousers, tight or not tight, angle from which certain photo shots are captured). In my view, accessories (cuffs, watches, bracelets, rings, scarves, socks etc) add somewhat value to what already is an epitome of class but not a determining factor to one's anatomy smile.gif
post #23923 of 43890

tumblr_ns7fu6hYRz1r8bgano1_1280.jpg 

 

 

tumblr_ns7fv0CFJW1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

post #23924 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Except that they clearly say different things to different people.

Clearly the irony of my all-caps retort was lost. For both of us, I think this is appropriate:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post


I don't think a piece of accoutrement like cuffs has anything to do with the embodiment of one's physiognomy i.e. appearing shorter, taller than one actually looks. The consensus on SF borders on the display of the entire outfit, coordination and fit for purpose (size/length of jacket/trousers, tight or not tight, angle from which certain photo shots are captured). In my view, accessories (cuffs, watches, bracelets, rings, scarves, socks etc) add somewhat value to what already is an epitome of class but not a determining factor to one's anatomy smile.gif


I appreciate your opinion.  I still disagree.  Disagreement seems discouraged on SF.  I also disagree with that. 

post #23925 of 43890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer View Post


Thanks, Ac, means a lot. I think I've come to have a pretty decent sense of color/fabric combinations but you're absolutely right that fit has been the overall wildcard. When I first started taking a deeper interest in clothing in general, I always felt like, "I'm small, wearing anything loose or long would just make me look smaller" - which in time you come to understand isn't true, though it's true in the sense of "I look like I'm swimming in this Banana Republic shirt." So I started having things made but tipped the scales too far, causing the "looks stiff" feedback I've gotten a few times here. Most of it moves fine, and you can always choose the picture to share where things aren't pulling, but you're right it's got a lot of room for improvement.

I still like nearly all of my stuff, and will continue to wear it, but it's been a very interesting journey to start swinging back the other direction in terms of length and room in my clothing dimensions.
I quite literally do have a shorter lower than upper - by a good margin of torso to legs. Finding a roadbike in a traditional straight top-tube geometry was rough! I hear what you're saying, but so far in my experience I just don't see what you see where cuffs cause that issue to be amplified. Pants that are too short or to tight are far more often the culprit in my experience.
Definitely think the extra weight the cuffs provide makes them sit and move so much nicer than not having them. Still not sure whether I'll do cuff or no-cuff on suits from here on out - will be hard not to!

 

Add a ribbon to your inner cuff to improve the weight.  You are free to cuff or not. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)