or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1582

post #23716 of 43850



Ring
Barba
Donahue
Goddard
Epaulet
GG
post #23717 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Second pic is crappy but shows fit better.

 

Great gunclub,:satisfied:  White shirt (?) with cutaway tho is sub-optimal tho imo  Too bizness for the fit.  Love the trews.

post #23718 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Great shirt. Is it oxford cloth?
Where is it from?


Thanks. University stripe oxford from Luxire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What a well dressed pirate.

Arrggggggh matey!!!!!!!! Shiver me timbers, avast ye scurvy dogs, etc.


Aww. It's been a long time since you've mentioned my earrings. Now I'm all nostalgic.

I continue to be amused/amazed/bemused by Caustic's confident declarations. Whatever. Up with sauce!
post #23719 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I continue to be amused/amazed/bemused by Caustic's confident declarations. Whatever. Up with sauce!

 

:fonz:

post #23720 of 43850


sup fools
RLPL, borrelli, rubinacci, MG.
post #23721 of 43850
And yet it started an interesting and rewarding conversation. I'm really ok with that.
post #23722 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

You academics write/talk to damn much :fence:


I wasn't invited to the academics thread so I guess I'm just a blabber mouth.

 

An invitation was posted here and on the thread where the idea was first mooted.

 

You were expecting a phone call?    :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

[...] By the way, I noticed that @Academic2 is retiring soon. I really do like his office...

 

No time soon.  I’m not even Social Security age yet.

 

Besides, I thoroughly intend to keep teaching as long as my health permits.  Just because I know it will piss off certain people.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #23723 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

@mcobinad
 , there is much to admire about your fit. Attention to detail, style, quality threads etc.

Two things letting the side down though. (1) everything a little too tight, as pointed out by Henry Carter and others. Now, clearly you have a very muscular physique. Plus I think you're carrying a few extra kilos of puppy fat on top (aren't we all - sigh). If your entire wardrobe is like this, then you should think about dropping a few percentage points of body fat with diet and exercise. Or, if you're still building your wardrobe, try sizing up and then tailoring back.

(2) Those lemon trousers clash violently with everything else. There is no coherence whatsoever. As a matter of fact I think those trews would be hard to match with just about anything - maybe a soft, unstructured linen knit top of some sort might work with them. I dunno. But certainly not with that dandyish, Henley Regatta upper block.

Still, the glasses are just killer. So boss it's not funny. Wish I could get away with fuck-everybody frames like that.


Sir,

I really appreciate your constructive criticism. That said, I need to put out few things. Firstly, I don't conform to a general palatable way of dressing on this forum. Here are my reasons. I love to be a little creative, thereby moving away from the generally acclaimed or conventional dandy way of dressing and adopting a set pattern which I believe tailors my needs. It does not necessarily need to meet the standard of everyone. That of course comes either with a feeling of disdain or approval and I tend to get more of the harsh albeit constructive criticisms (such as yours for example no harm intended though) and I feel that should not be the case for other subsequent posts, considering that I have deployed every energy within measure to ameliorate the style of fit. It has also become a vicious circle thing to lampoon every of my post on here with certain inflammatory commentaries often time than not, referring to my physical built as an element letting the entire of my outfit down. I would not negate that this has dissuaded me from posting on here. Secondly, another element I would like to emphasise on is the fact that since I became a member of this forum, I have either received one criticism from one member or the other as a result of the fit of my clothes even when it is visibly clear to the blind that the fit is passable, albeit, I still have dedicated members on here who encourage my effort. Also, I have gone bespoke on certain suits ever since I started getting eye watering criticisms but no one has cared to notice as opposed to my precedent posts as the often too repeated message reads the same.

In life some times, we all feel the inclination to conform to certain maxims even if we don't necessarily agree with them, as such, have gone out of my way to either size up or downsize my garments if the need arises of course, just to mellow the critics on here. Unfortunately, that has not made any difference whatsoever. In fact, the critics have intensified, moving upward trend from bad to worse and my body structure always being the subject of the critics. One member on here (who I choose to keep anonymous) went as far as using a derogatory statement by saying that I should either decide to be a rugby player or stick to wearing suits. Though, I did not reply to that post, but I considered that somewhat offensive. At some point, I said enough and moved on with my fashion idiosyncrasy. I would also like to point to the fact that I have seen analogous fits as mine or even far worse off fits on here that get brazenly obvious thumbs, just because such individual tend to have followers that support them no matter what.

I don't feel the need to put anyone's outfit down as I have this innate impartiality to encourage people to bring out the best in them and not lampoon them with criticisms. I believe, though subjective, that some on here deliberately criticise others on here to grace their conscience. That said, your message sir, is coherent and I choose to as a rule of exception grace your word of advice with deep consideration. Thank you for your time and effort in conveying this crystal message which would in future yield far more positive results. As for the eyewear, thanks immensely for the support. smile.gif
post #23724 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post


I thoroughly intend to keep teaching as long as my health permits.  Just because I know it will piss off certain people.

This is the primary reason for most academics to trudge on IME.
post #23725 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

I would challenge anyone here to list their favorite of the two fits, honestly. I'm betting the suit would win handily. Indeed, it was features not he 20+ thumbs thread. The blazer was not. /debate.

Not /debate if it's not your primary aim to please people, which MC is much more about than SWD.

 

Exactly. 

 

There isn't any debate in reality anyway, it's all just a strawman argument that it seems most people here have seen through at this point, so hopefully we can move on. 

post #23726 of 43850
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Honestly, I don't think so. Color, texture, pattern combinations still matter and even more than that I think fit matters. Fit is king in CM. I don't recall any situation in which either of those factors were off that something got a lot of support based on brand alone. 

I said more important than here. Not more important than anything else there. There, it probably depends on genre, but overall, it seems like silhouette is king (it certainly is in the SWD looks I like).
post #23727 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

And yet it started an interesting and rewarding conversation. I'm really ok with that.

 

I agree it did, but somehow I now feel like an outlaw for actually liking SVB's blazer and breezier trousers. Yes, I fully agree with you, the strong elongated shoulders, lower buttoning point and "bell bottom" trousers makes it somewhat outdated. But ill-fitting as you mentioned, really? It's not like he's wearing a white shiny tie, white clip-on suspenders and a white belt with a vivid purple shirt and black poly trousers and white loafers. 

 

Anyway, I don't want to spark the debate back. I'm all for having heated debates, but I feel like menswear, unlike mathematics, physics or chemistry, isn't a hard science and I find it odd that some people poses their opinions as hard truths, non refutable facts, like 1 + 2 = 3.

 

This is nothing personal against you Caustic Man, I really enjoy reading your posts as you seem to possess a lot of knowledge, which is really appreciated as I'm in a learning curve.

post #23728 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I said more important than here. Not more important than anything else there. There, it probably depends on genre, but overall, it seems like silhouette is king (it certainly is in the SWD looks I like).

I was referring to what you said about people "thumbing" certain brands regardless of fit or overall look. I just don't see it that much. At least not in WAYWRN where the whole fit is at stake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

I now feel like an outlaw for actually liking SVB's blazer and breezier trousers.

As well you should.
post #23729 of 43850
Bad Gai!
post #23730 of 43850

I think there are a number of elements of SVB's YSL bit that are better for him than the Epaulet suit fit (and I say that as someone who likes Epaulet's stuff):

  • The more extended shoulders. They create better overall proportions by giving the appearance of broader shoulders.
  • The wider lapels. They enhance the visual perception of stronger shoulders and chest.
  • The length of the jacket. It balances the proportions between his legs and torso.
  • The buttoning point of the jacket. See previous point. It also contributes to the stronger chest and shoulder appearance.
  • The fullness of the trousers (except below the knee, which I've said before that I think would look better slightly tapered). It looks like there was a breeze in the EP photo, and that's affecting the appearance of the trousers, but they look to skinny there. I don't think EP's Walts are too skinny generally and they look fine in other SVB photos, but in those two photos, I think the YSL trouser are actually more visually appealing and result in a better CM silhouette.

 

I don't mind a lower gorge, but the YSL one is low and downward pointing, which I don't think is great. And overall, to me, they look like the period pieces that they are, which affects my overall perception. But between the two, I think the silhouette of the YSL fit is better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)