or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1527

post #22891 of 43865
Thanks man! I threw on my off white jacket and didn't like it with the tie so this jacket won
post #22892 of 43865

@justinkapur 

 

I like that Shibumi tie. Is that an 8cm or 9cm? A bit more vibrant IRL than in the first pic, I think (a little peach as in the second?).

post #22893 of 43865

@justinkapur great fit! I think I remember seeing somewhere that you just use a single four-in-hand, so what brand do you use that gives you a large knot like that?

post #22894 of 43865

by the way, how much would you guys say a nice suit (but not exotic materials or anything) from TF, Zegna, or a similar brand costs on average? I've been doing some thinking about bespoke vs. brand-name RTW

post #22895 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

@justinkapur great fit! I think I remember seeing somewhere that you just use a single four-in-hand, so what brand do you use that gives you a large knot like that?


That's a Shibumi tie, but the size of a knot will depend on lots of factors: how the tie is cut, the width, material, lining, where you tie the knot, etc. 

post #22896 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 


That's a Shibumi tie, but the size of a knot will depend on lots of factors: how the tie is cut, the width, material, lining, where you tie the knot, etc. 

true, but I usually can't get a nice large FIH like that with my ties when I tie them so the ends are approximately the same length and they're pretty large (3.75" at the widest). Maybe the interlining is thinner or the middle is skinnier or something.

post #22897 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

true, but I usually can't get a nice large FIH like that with my ties when I tie them so the ends are approximately the same length and they're pretty large (3.75" at the widest). Maybe the interlining is thinner or the middle is skinnier or something.


With a 3.75 inch blade, I would have thought this wouldn't typically be a problem unless you are very tall, and to get a normal length tie to reach the waistband of the pant, you need to tie it longer so knotting it at the thinner end.

 

Nothing wrong with a DFIH, tho, if that's what it takes. There's a way to tie the tie so it isn't obviously a DFIH knot which is to draw the blade between the two loops at the knot rather than under both loops (if that makes sense). 

post #22898 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

by the way, how much would you guys say a nice suit (but not exotic materials or anything) from TF, Zegna, or a similar brand costs on average? I've been doing some thinking about bespoke vs. brand-name RTW

Retail between TF and Zegna is a widish gap. I think most TF retail for $4k^, Zegna between $1.5K and $3K depending.

post #22899 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 


With a 3.75 inch blade, I would have thought this wouldn't typically be a problem unless you are very tall, and to get a normal length tie to reach the waistband of the pant, you need to tie it longer so knotting it at the thinner end.

 

Nothing wrong with a DFIH, tho, if that's what it takes. There's a way to tie the tie so it isn't obviously a DFIH knot which is to draw the blade between the two loops at the knot rather than under both loops (if that makes sense). 

I'm pretty tall, but many of my ties are from Hober, so I order them long enough for the ends to be approximately the same and reach my waistband (this also means I won't have enough length to do a DFIH). It's not a huge deal though, I've just asked David to make the knot a bit larger for my future ties.

 

Also, I've always had trouble with the DFIH— whenever I pull through, the inner loop always pulls way too far down, away from the outer loop, instead of just peeking out

post #22900 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post
 

Retail between TF and Zegna is a widish gap. I think most TF retail for $4k^, Zegna between $1.5K and $3K depending.

thanks! didn't realize that—is there a quality difference that necessitates the higher price for TF, or is it just down to the name on the label?

post #22901 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

I'm pretty tall, but many of my ties are from Hober, so I order them long enough for the ends to be approximately the same and reach my waistband (this also means I won't have enough length to do a DFIH). It's not a huge deal though, I've just asked David to make the knot a bit larger for my future ties.

 

Also, I've always had trouble with the DFIH— whenever I pull through, the inner loop always pulls way too far down, away from the outer loop, instead of just peeking out


Yes, so try the alternative way of tying it, which I mentioned above. Pull the blade over the inner loop and under the outer loop. This means the blade will cover the inner loop (go over the inner loop, under the outer loop, rather than under both). 

post #22902 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 


Yes, so try the alternative way of tying it, which I mentioned above. Pull the blade over the inner loop and under the outer loop. This means the blade will cover the inner loop (go over the inner loop, under the outer loop, rather than under both). 

thanks for the tip—any advice on how to get it right if I wanted to show the inner loop just a bit?

post #22903 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

thanks for the tip—any advice on how to get it right if I wanted to show the inner loop just a bit?


It's probably a matter of how you tighten the knot (try just tightening slowly). Best thing to do: chalk it up to Sprezz.

post #22904 of 43865
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

thanks! didn't realize that—is there a quality difference that necessitates the higher price for TF, or is it just down to the name on the label?

I believe TF is actually made in one of Zegna's factories. If you want to read up on the construction of the suits, this is a very well-written and informative post:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2010/10/tom-ford.html?m=1
post #22905 of 43865
Yeah, TF made by zegna
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)