or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1187

post #17791 of 43881
Ha, just caught up on the 4-page discussion about photography quality. @Caustic Man@9thsymph

FWIW, Doing pics everyday for me is kind of a chore—and requires my wife to stop what she's doing in the morning and take them (I believe I've mentioned before she is a professional portrait photographer, hence why we have the equipment and she's so good at it).

I started making myself do it to 1- Keep my blog going as a viable outlet for my interest in clothing, 2- To try and make myself up my daily style game and 3- To ensure that when I do post pics here, it's not just every once in a while when I'm wearing the awesomest of the awesome (which would truly smack of seeking only to get thumbs-up's as opposed to posting for other "legit" reasons).

I will say that if you do a 15-45 minute photo shoot (the max my wife and I spend taking pics in the morning is 3 minutes in our backyard—we're moving next month; I'm really gonna miss this epic backyard), maybe post a single photo and hide the rest with a spoiler tag? *cough* @VictorSFreturn *cough* smile.gif

My opinion on selfie vs. any planned photo is simply that as soon as a human other than you takes your pic, you automatically have a more honest pic of what you actually look like IRL. I always try to have some of the best-looking pics of me as my "headline" image, but I always try to include the robo-pose for reference as to proportion, etc. That is my way of trying to ensure nobody perceives the motive for my posts as anything other than "legit".

Oh, and no pic today—crazy thunderstorms all day today.
post #17792 of 43881

Those are all good points @mossrockss but I'm wondering what an illegitimate reason for postings pics would be. Aside from trolling, I can't see any genuine reason to not post, even if the only reason you do it is for the thumbs. 

post #17793 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Those are all good points @mossrockss
 but I'm wondering what an illegitimate reason for postings pics would be. Aside from trolling, I can't see any genuine reason to not post, even if the only reason you do it is for the thumbs. 

showing off?
post #17794 of 43881

What's wrong with that?

post #17795 of 43881

There's a bit of a danger that if this thread is only a few all-stars posting beautiful, perfectly-fitting clothes with excellent photography, new posters won't want to stick around, take their lumps, and improve.  When this thread's at its best, it should be a nice mixture of both "A-game" looks and an honest representation of people's daily wear, warts and all.  At this point, I mostly post fits that have new elements or feature new combinations--some work, some don't, either way, I get the feedback from the thread and you all know (for better or worse) how I actually dress.  

 

The wrinkle is that some people just dress so well on a consistent basis that the line gets blurred.  I have my "A-game" ties and jackets and my "B-game" ties and jackets.  There are probably a dozen or so people whose wardrobes contain no visible weaknesses; every combination is a good one.  If you're one of those people, keep posting!  If you're not, continue to post/start posting anyway.  

post #17796 of 43881

@heldentenor I agree 100%. I mentioned yesterday that there is indeed a lack of new blood in this thread by my estimation. This thread used to be a free-for-all in a good sense and the "good taste" thread was entirely top notch fits (mostly). Every time I see someone new post in here I try to encourage them to continue.

post #17797 of 43881
post #17798 of 43881
Funny to watch as some adult men so hysterically and jealously looking at a good photo smile.gif

That would not irritate these gentle creatures ask about the following:

Please don'T give me likes at all. I'm not kidding. I don't want to take a "thumbs-up" of these vulnerable people. Let their self-esteem does not suffer because of good photos, including the one of my. my goal is not that. I just want to participate in the discussion of what is good and what is bad. And without regard to the significance of a member of the forum, and fairly and impartially. I have the honesty to give a fair assessment. If something is good - I will say that it is good. And if something is crap, I'll just say "this is shit" icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Generally with normal guys (which there are the vast majority) I'll always find something to discuss, without any fingers up!

So: please do not put yourfingers up under my photo. Thank you! biggrin.gif
post #17799 of 43881
With regard to the quality of photography posted here, it's always a treat to see photos from Victor and others who have the means, photographic equipment, and time to post professional-quality photos (in Victor's case, with some awesome clothes as well).

For myself, my photos are not art - they're documentation. I am glad that the lighting in my living room has been improved by the use of a new lamp with LED bulbs (the previous lamp couldn't take LED's, and the light from the fluorescent bulbs gave everything a yellowish cast), but beyond that, my photos are taken in the same way everyday for maximal efficiency, and minimum thought (early mornings being what they are, force of habit is one's friend and ally in such endeavors).
post #17800 of 43881

@VictorSFreturn, I really think you are taking all this the wrong way. It's just a philosophical discussion at it's core. No one is saying that anyone shouldn't be doing something they want to do. I think I speak for most of us when I say that your contributions have been looked upon favorably. I actually look forward to when you return and start posting again. By the way, off topic, but for the longest time I thought your real name was Victor S. Freturn. lol

 

:D 

post #17801 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSFreturn View Post

Funny to watch as some adult men so hysterically and jealously looking at a good photo smile.gif

That would not irritate these gentle creatures ask about the following:

Please don'T give me likes at all. I'm not kidding. I don't want to take a "thumbs-up" of these vulnerable people. Let their self-esteem does not suffer because of good photos, including the one of my. my goal is not that. I just want to participate in the discussion of what is good and what is bad. And without regard to the significance of a member of the forum, and fairly and impartially. I have the honesty to give a fair assessment. If something is good - I will say that it is good. And if something is crap, I'll just say "this is shit" icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Generally with normal guys (which there are the vast majority) I'll always find something to discuss, without any fingers up!

So: please do not put yourfingers up under my photo. Thank you! biggrin.gif

 

Victor, from my perspective, this thread needs you, the much-missed Gerry Nelson, and others who post beautiful photographs of beautiful clothes.  I love seeing them.  

 

It also needs people who don't have either your skills in photography or in dressing well to keep posting so that the thread maintains its life.  

 

It's not a choice of one or the other; it's both.  

post #17802 of 43881
We will be debuting something new in the coming weeks that will help ease people into feeling comforabtle about posting here. Stay tuned.
post #17803 of 43881
biggrin.gif

:)I want to continue to upload photos and to continue the discussion, just please don't give me a thumbs up. shog[1].gif

Question to admin: can technically disable for me this function? (I really don't want to infringe on the rights of those who are vulnerable, jealous and close to my heart perceives "competition" (although the forum is not for this and that's obvious), it is their right, in the end)
post #17804 of 43881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

We will be debuting something new in the coming weeks that will help ease people into feeling comforabtle about posting here. Stay tuned.


Intrigued.

post #17805 of 43881

Love it, Murl.  Trousers (fawn Rotas?) are perfect with that jacket; ditto the shoes.  A warmish brown tie might have broken up the cool blue vibe that this current shirt/tie combo brings and tied things together, but it's really hard to go wrong with this jacket.  :slayer:

 

Quote:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)