or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 1140

post #17086 of 44046
I understand that and do like Ivy as an intrinsical part of US culture - but hasn't enough time passed and there been enough Euro pics posted on this thread for people to opt more for this alternative.

Maybe they just don't like it, or find it boring...who knows?
post #17087 of 44046

I'm not so sure that a lot of people DON'T go for that kind of option. However the appeal of Trad Ivy is simply because it's old. Well, not old per se, but classic. I think Americans do generally opt for more "interesting" choices. I put interesting in quotes because it often turns badly. Then again, simple often turns out badly too, although perhaps not as epically.

post #17088 of 44046

Why do I have to post just as a discussion about elegance begins?  

 

 

 

 

Sitting. (Click to show)
post #17089 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post


This can't be re-posted too much. The epitome of elegance.

I know everyone has different tastes and styles - and that is the purpose of this thread - but it baffles me why more of this superb European simplicity has not in general had more influence in the US, UK or Australia for that matter.


I hear you—I like it a lot too—but if everyone wore this all the time, God what a dull world.  

 

There was a time not so long ago in the US when this look (albeit not done quite this well) was practically compulsory, and wearing so much as a striped shirt to the office was seen more or less as a public confession of rampant, uncontrollable sodomy.  IBM rather famously banned blue shirts: too flamboyant.

 

I think one reason this look has garnered so much attention is that StyFo invites risk-taking, and speaking for myself, I often post looks that contain elements I'm on the fence about, because I'm looking for feedback.  I hesitate to post solid, proven excellence because I fear boring people.  

 

Between this and the peacocking, few of us think to get back to (very excellent) basics.  

post #17090 of 44046
Thank you for an excellent and logical response.

I guess it's just my long held personal preference showing.

I know the era you''re talking about and see your point - but at least dressing well was more or less compulsory then, until the late sixties and the following three decades buried it and everything turned to shit.

I think we're slowly heading back to a more dignified appearance, from what I observe here on the streets of Melbourne and overseas.
post #17091 of 44046
I like Sander's pic too, but seeing it I feel a craving for some colour. Even just a dark blue or navy tie instead of black might satisfy that craving. I bought a black grenadine and I'm happy to have it for funerals but if I'm ever even tempted to reach for it I see all the other colorful ties hanging next to it and think - 'nah, not today!'
post #17092 of 44046
Thread Starter 
Speaking of elegance....BRIGHT ORANGE TIE!


SF Family:
Henry Carter
Exquisite Trimmings
Spier and Mackay
Meermin
post #17093 of 44046

Stunning outfit @Claghorn :)

post #17094 of 44046
Spoilsports.
post #17095 of 44046
evb85v.jpg

2w1wb35.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
feo1v4.jpg

Bison
Cotton
Wool/viscose
Cotton
Shell
Steel/ceramic
post #17096 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post

Thank you for an excellent and logical response.

I guess it's just my long held personal preference showing.

I know the era you''re talking about and see your point - but at least dressing well was more or less compulsory then, until the late sixties and the following three decades buried it and everything turned to shit.

I think we're slowly heading back to a more dignified appearance, from what I observe here on the streets of Melbourne and overseas.


Gee, thanks.  Well, if you look at how oppressive everything got for a while there ("Blue shirts?!?!  Not for me, thanks, I have a wife!"), it really isn't too surprising that a few years later you see people wanting to wear the most far-out thing they can get their hands on.  

 

I don't really mind that whole three-decade period so much, it's the onset of cargo-short-n-tee, big-box, casual-Friday, Costco anti-style that has horrified me.  

 

 “A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika. We all need a splash of bad taste—it’s hearty, it’s healthy, it’s physical. I think we could use more of it. No taste is what I’m against.”—Diana Vreeland

post #17097 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulillo View Post

Very Mad Men/Don Draper your outfit today @ImTheGroom
 I like it.


I agree!
post #17098 of 44046
I prefer Chesterton's quote at the bottom of my posts to Vreeland's!
post #17099 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Speaking of elegance....BRIGHT ORANGE TIE!
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

SF Family:
Henry Carter
Exquisite Trimmings
Spier and Mackay
Meermin

 

An orange tie with a blue jacket is a very beautiful look.

 

And the small check shirt fabric is brilliant here.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #17100 of 44046
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoxtooth View Post

 

 “A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika. We all need a splash of bad taste—it’s hearty, it’s healthy, it’s physical. I think we could use more of it. No taste is what I’m against.”—Diana Vreeland

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post

I prefer Chesterton's quote at the bottom of my posts to Vreeland's!

 

That deja vu feeling...  ;)

I believe a few months ago, I already replied with this quote, the first time you referred to your Chesterton sig:

 

"Good taste, the last and vilest of human superstitions, has succeeded in silencing us where all the rest have failed." — G.K. Chesterton

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)