or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 988

post #14806 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

Nice GMMcL-  What's your feeling on SB peak lapels? thinking of doing it.


Huge, huge fan. I have 4 such suits, plus a couple SCs. Not something I'd wear to a client/board meeting, but let me tell you, the ladies LOVE it.
post #14807 of 43850
I'm surprised that women would notice the peak lapels vs the more often seen notch lapels.
post #14808 of 43850

You'd be surprised what the ladies notice about lapels.

 

Why, one of them actually berated me on the GNAT thread for lapel bowing.

post #14809 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

You'd be surprised what the ladies notice about lapels.

Why, one of them actually berated me on the GNAT thread for lapel bowing.

Ha. Well done.
post #14810 of 43850

SB peaks seem to be used more formally. Often combined with jetted pockets.  With patches they just look weird IMO 

 

post #14811 of 43850
^ Or on a 3-buttons suit. Peak lapel would just look weird with it.

I personally prefer single button, like a tux. A lowered button stance also accentuates the lines and shapes of the peaks. Mine has the button almost at my navel.
post #14812 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

You'd be surprised what the ladies notice about lapels.

Why, one of them actually berated me on the GNAT thread for lapel bowing.

Hasn't happen to me yet, I usually get the "Nice suit!" compliments. No berating...yet.
post #14813 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver00 View Post

I'm surprised that women would notice the peak lapels vs the more often seen notch lapels.
Please don't take this the wrong way but... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I think you might be doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

SB peaks seem to be used more formally. Often combined with jetted pockets.  With patches they just look weird IMO 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Yes.
I'm no expert, but I think they descend from the daytime equivalent of formal eveningwear (the name of which escapes me at the moment). But either way, I agree: Single button, flap or jet pockets is best. Further, whereas on a notch lapel jacket, single or dual vent is a matter of taste, for peak lapel I think dual vent has a vast, universal superiority.
YMMV.
post #14814 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

SB peaks seem to be used more formally. Often combined with jetted pockets.  With patches they just look weird IMO 

Indeed it seems peak lapels on SB are usually more formal. But I believe in Flusser there's at least one Apparel Arts illustration of a gent in an SB peak lapel country tweed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver00 View Post

^ Or on a 3-buttons suit. Peak lapel would just look weird with it.

I personally prefer single button, like a tux. A lowered button stance also accentuates the lines and shapes of the peaks. Mine has the button almost at my navel.

Single button tux is the only acceptable SB peak lapel configuration for me. Others look too affected and self conscious. But then again, that's just me.

Edit: @GMMcL it seems plausible at least that SB peak lapel is descended from formal wear, but how does that sit with the dual vents. My historical knowledge is too limited, do you know?
post #14815 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Indeed it seems peak lapels on SB are usually more formal. But I believe in Flusser there's at least one Apparel Arts illustration of a gent in an SB peak lapel country tweed.
.

Yes, they were pretty ubiquitous at one point, running the gamut across formality, from day/country wear straight through evening.
post #14816 of 43850
Yes.
I'm no expert, but I think they descend from the daytime equivalent of formal eveningwear (the name of which escapes me at the moment). But either way, I agree: Single button, flap or jet pockets is best. Further, whereas on a notch lapel jacket, single or dual vent is a matter of taste, for peak lapel I think dual vent has a vast, universal superiority.

YMMV.[/quote]

City Dress - Black jacket with cashmere striped trousers bigstar[1].gif
post #14817 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Yes, they were pretty ubiquitous at one point, running the gamut across formality, from day/country wear straight through evening.

Thanks. So country too? Interesting.
Have to add, even if I don't really like SB peak lapel for myself, some here do it really well. You are one of them: often, I only realize on a second look that you're wearing peak lapels. Which means you manage to avoid that affected impression that I dislike about them.
Oh, and I love those old Anthony Eden pics.
post #14818 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

Yes.
I'm no expert, but I think they descend from the daytime equivalent of formal eveningwear (the name of which escapes me at the moment). But either way, I agree: Single button, flap or jet pockets is best. Further, whereas on a notch lapel jacket, single or dual vent is a matter of taste, for peak lapel I think dual vent has a vast, universal superiority.

YMMV.

City Dress - Black jacket with cashmere striped trousers bigstar[1].gif[/quote]

Is that the same as a 'stroller'? I believe you once posted a beautiful example.
post #14819 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way but... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I think you might be doing it wrong.

None taken, here in the Dampcouver, a man in a suit is as rare as a unicorn sighting. No one appreciates the nuance.
post #14820 of 43850
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post

Yes.
I'm no expert, but I think they descend from the daytime equivalent of formal eveningwear (the name of which escapes me at the moment). But either way, I agree: Single button, flap or jet pockets is best. Further, whereas on a notch lapel jacket, single or dual vent is a matter of taste, for peak lapel I think dual vent has a vast, universal superiority.

YMMV.

City Dress - Black jacket with cashmere striped trousers bigstar[1].gif

Is that the same as a 'stroller'? I believe you once posted a beautiful example.[/quote]

Yes, Stroller in the US - Black jacket I the UK - Stresemann in Germany - and thank you bigstar[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)