or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Making A Light Purple Room Masculine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Making A Light Purple Room Masculine

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I've just moved to a new apartment in Chicago. The place is spectacular and fits our lifestyles perfectly (3 young professional college grads) except that my bedroom is fairly small and has light purple walls and ceiling. Painting is an option, but I am interested in finding out whether it's possible to make the color masculine and workable for a single, straight 23 year old male. Aesthetically I go for very minimal, modern, clean looks. The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

For reference, the color is, with a bit of irony, the same as the lightest part of

Thoughts? Other ideas for how to work with the room as is?
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Young View Post
The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

Sounds like a lot to have going on in a small room, it'll shrink the feel considerably.
post #3 of 20
This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.
post #4 of 20
Might be a no go, but get the furniture in there. I have dark wood floors and furniture and I use dark purple, sometimes fuschia to accent, but not on the walls. I did at one point have my office walls painted dark purple, and liked it. Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

Who knows your walls may wind up looking rather mod.
I say try it, maybe adjust the kind of purple and the amount that could be visible. The tone of the furniture and floor may dictate alot on how the purple is percieved.

maybe some pictures
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.

Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....


Spencer, do yourself a favoir and save yourself a lot of time, prime the walls and then do whatever you want colorwise. Purple is a hard color to combine with, harder even to give it a "masculine" look.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....

post #7 of 20
Time for a paint job.
post #8 of 20
I think the best way to make a light purple room masculine is to start a post on a style message board asking whether or not it is a good idea to "acknowledge the purple" with ochre. Nothing says hypermasculinity like complementary colours.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor View Post
Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

I would second designprofessor. adding a taxidermy head, antique gun, or some old safari photographs could add a masculine edge
post #10 of 20
the canvasses with ochre with the purple walls sounds like a bad hotel lobby to me
post #11 of 20
paint it. Two cans of paint will cost you less money, take you less time, and bring a better result than trying to unpussy violet.
post #12 of 20
+1, however, lots of guns, power tools, and dead animals could probably help it a bit. Paint is much cheaper though.
post #13 of 20
Bathe the walls in the blood of your enemies.
post #14 of 20
That's a sweet idea Reggs. Maybe include all the weapons used to slaughter them too, coated in the blood of the enemy's heart. Hmm.

JB
post #15 of 20
I'd go with a painting like the one behind White Goodman in this picture:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Making A Light Purple Room Masculine