• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five cities for a quick weekend getaway-which would you choose?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of a quick fly-to weekend to one of five regional cities. Of course, I'd like to look at men's clothing, especially upscale dress lace-up shoes. But I'd like a bit of culture, a couple of good meals, maybe a great Mexican dinner or exceptional pizza. Anyway, I'm thinking between Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Denver or Houston. That's my "short list." Just curious what ones would be your choice for most shopping/ dining/ cultural fun on a short trip? I'd like a clean but not outrageously expensive hotel too. Suggestions? Thanks!

Jerry

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pick Denver probably. But theres tons of other cities I would rather visit then those five

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with Houston or Denver, I can't see any other reason to visit the other 3.

JB

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Just curious how you came to those 5 cities. Do you know people there, or have you already been to the other good cities in the US? I could reccomend 5 cities i'd rather go to not named new york and LA, and not mention those. I haven't been that many places so you might be looking for something new.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thanks to all four of you.

Actually I was born in Chicago, so although I might want to return, it isn't on the top of my list.

It's probably in one sense "a no brainer" that Houston or Denver or Kansas City of the five I mentioned would be the best because they're the largest. However on a trip with limited time (and possibly just using taxis or public transit to get around) the largest cities also take the most time to fully explore. For the reason of their smaller scale, I was leaving Tulsa and Oklahoma City in the mix.

I'm choosing these five because all are within a 800-mile radius of me. I'm somewhat familiar with Dallas and San Antonio so didn't include them, for example. If my focus was "the beach" then my choices would be different- and most of them too far away for a two-day trip.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Good info.
You said you would like to look at men's clothing; maybe another member can correct me but wouldn't Houston be the best place for that? I don't know about shopping in Denver.

JB

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes -not in OKC unless delivered by the UPS man.
We can fix you up with the Mexican food though.
I lived in Kansas City for 4 years, better clothes and retail (Plaza)
Dallas can fix you up in the clothing area.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think factory people used to be in houston(or was it austin?), but i'd imagine houston would have the best shopping on the list. I don't know the ins and outs of denver but i have a friend with relatives there and he always enjoys himself when he's visiting. He said there are plenty of solid resturaunts and good shopping, but he isn't as elitist as most of us on the forums are.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
Hi, I'm thinking of a quick fly-to weekend to one of five regional cities. Of course, I'd like to look at men's clothing, especially upscale dress lace-up shoes. But I'd like a bit of culture, a couple of good meals, maybe a great Mexican dinner or exceptional pizza. Anyway, I'm thinking between Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Denver or Houston. That's my "short list." Just curious what ones would be your choice for most shopping/ dining/ cultural fun on a short trip? I'd like a clean but not outrageously expensive hotel too. Suggestions? Thanks! Jerry
I can't say much about the other cities you mention in that I've spent limited time in them, but I do know that Denver is a great place to spend some time. Plenty of decent restaurants and bars in LODO, which is part of downtown (LOwer DOwntown). Shopping is pretty decent. Andriesen Morton and Homer Reed Ltd. have very nice men's selections. Cherry Creek (a very close in suburb) has great shopping including a mall with both Nieman and Nordstrom. Homer Reed I believe has also opened a store in Cherry Creek. And even if you don't have time or the means to drive into the mountains, the view of them from Denver is worth seeing. Have a great trip wherever you go!!

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pick Denver, and you can visit Lawrence Covell, the best men's store in Denver. Houston is just too oppressively hot and humid and it doesn't have a lively downtown after 5.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I'd pick Denver, and you can visit Lawrence Covell, the best men's store in Denver. Houston is just too oppressively hot and humid and it doesn't have a lively downtown after 5.

Not sure how I could have forgotten Lawrence Covell.
blush.gif

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Living in Houston, I can tell you that it will be difficult to get around without a car. The mass transit here is virtually non-existent, but it isn't a bad city.

As far as shopping goes.. the Galleria mall here in Houston has a NM's, Saks, and Nordstrom. The rest of the Uptown Area has some decent shopping as well as food.

As far as touristy things to do, we have one of the largest museum and theater districts in the country. You can visit anything from the Holocaust Museum to the Museum of Health (though most people go to the Museum of Fine Arts or Museum of Natural Science, and they're pretty cool). Right across the street from the Museum of Natural Science is the City Zoo. In the Theater District, there are several venues which you might want to check out. A couple of them are:

Jones Hall (Houses the Houston Symphony and the Society for the Performing Arts)
http://www.houstontx.gov/joneshall/index.htm

The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
http://www.thehobbycenter.org/hobbyp...medisplay.aspx

Alley Theater
http://www.alleytheatre.org/alley/Default_EN.asp

The Wortham Center (Houses Houston Ballet and Opera, and other stuff)
http://www.houstontx.gov/worthamcenter/boxoffice.htm

Anyhow, if you come ot Houston, have fun.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Living in Houston, I can tell you that it will be difficult to get around without a car. The mass transit here is virtually non-existent, but it isn't a bad city.

Interesting though that most of the places on your list (with the exception of the Galleria and Uptown destinations) are connected via rail. Although Houston's pretty spread out, anything within the 610 loop is pretty easily accessed via the Metro bus system.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thank you all for your impassioned replies! I'm still checking in... I'd be glad for specific suggestions for great Mexican food, pizza or seafood in OKC, Tulsa, Denver, Houston or Kansas City! Or decent, not-too-expensive and well-located hotels! (I understand none of you is treating me to the dinners or hotels, lol!)
I appreciated the culture run-down on Houston from Jsoftz, I'll have to try the links, and the synopsis of best clothing stores in Denver from tonylumpkin. Chronoaug dropped the name of Austin, and THAT got me thinking- Austin is a fair-sized town I've never visited with a GREAT music scene- especially folk! I used to listen to a lot of Nanci Griffith, and I think she cut her teeth in Austin! Actually of the five I've listed, I've visited Oklahoma City (great zoo!) Tulsa, Denver and Kansas City, but I feel I could enjoy any of them again. In the case of Denver and Oklahoma City I really don't know them very well. Houston, I've never been to. One of you is from Pittsburgh, often regarded as one of the finest big cities in the country, but just a bit far away for this trip. I've never been there but I understand among many attractions, Pittsburgh has several great hot dog restaurants!I'd also go back to Portland, OR in a heartbeat if time allowed! In case any of you enjoy religious shrines, the outdoor Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother (the Grotto) in Portland is impressive!

Again, I'd welcome your nominations for best Mexican food or pizza in Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Denver, Houston- or Austin! Or good, no-frills hotels.

Jerry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads