or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time - Page 4

post #46 of 158

I don't think the way the OP dresses is what's causing his coworkers to see him as pretentious. That, and the fact that a few lighthearted comments causes him to rush to the nearest internet forum to bemoan his situation makes me think that jokers can spot this guy from a mile away as prime comedic material.

 

OP: lighten up and you'll find your life is much easier.

post #47 of 158

Well put, though I'm sure his mode of wearing a tuxedo to a lacrosse game doesn't help the situation.

post #48 of 158

OP got swagger, though.

 

 

post #49 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

I don't think the way the OP dresses is what's causing his coworkers to see him as pretentious. That, and the fact that a few lighthearted comments causes him to rush to the nearest internet forum to bemoan his situation makes me think that jokers can spot this guy from a mile away as prime comedic material.

 

OP: lighten up and you'll find your life is much easier.


This. 👍
post #50 of 158
Thread Starter 

 

Business casual is not as bad as I thought... Grey sport coat @ my chair- Suit jackets/ sportcoats usually on my chair throughout the day.

post #51 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
 

OP got swagger, though. 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Indeed, though he clearly needs more purple crushed velvet suits and leopard hatbands; he also seems to have left his walking-stick in the stall.

 

And always remember, BD/SF devotees: wearing tight clothes will make you appear much, much more politically aware. Just don't let Werner Herzog interview you.

post #52 of 158

Tell them to go fuck themselves

post #53 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post
 

 

 

Business casual is not as bad as I thought... Grey sport coat @ my chair- Suit jackets/ sportcoats usually on my chair throughout the day.

And yet you're still being pretentious.  Ditch the sports coats already.    And, if you REALLY want to start being taken seriously in the workplace - ditch the selfies. Right now your wardrobe is a hindrance.  Forget sports coats, suit jackets etc. You come across to your colleagues as "style over substance" - you don't want that moniker. 

Look at it this way - if the only people that "get" you are people on internet forums like this - you're doing something wrong.

post #54 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post




Business casual is not as bad as I thought... Grey sport coat @ my chair- Suit jackets/ sportcoats usually on my chair throughout the day.

Grey sport coat?
Lavender shirt?
Black trousers?
Plaster-coloured shoes?

Complimenti, very elegant
post #55 of 158

I'm sure we've all enjoyed ribbing the OP a little, but let's be fair, here.  Merely kowtowing to circumstantial demands isn't something one would generally ask.  To paraphrase a parental classic, if you were in a room full of plebes, and every single one of them had the bottom buttons of their jackets done up, would you do yours up too?  If they all insisted that you do so, through humour or not, would you then?

 

We've all heard idiotic horror-stories.  There was a fellow here from Trinity Dublin (IIRC) who recently admitted that, after much deliberation, he'd given up pocket-squares because they were making the wrong impression.  Here's an impeccably educated guy working at a venerable academy in a city that is by no means a parochial backwater, and even he had to make a completely ludicrous sacrifice.  I've had people in my circuit belligerently insist that I fasten every button on a 3/2 jacket; 'if the button's there, it should be done up'.

 

The key thing is to negotiate a compromise between circumstance and personal style.  Merely saying 'up yours, fellas' and proceeding with excessive dress is foolhardy; falling back into schlubbery is unmanly.  While there are, as others have said, things to appreciate in the OP's most recent compromise, I'm not sure it goes far enough.  It's certainly less formal, I suspect that apart from the absence of a tie, it made the same unfortunate impression on his colleagues.  It's still fairly high-contrast; I think it would still come across as flashy, as still others have said.

 

I think what you're really looking for are much more casual fabrics -- linens, coarse cottons (e.g. khakis), slubby silks, maybe some *very* muted tweeds, and so on, with very basic and conservative shirts, shoes, and accessories.  You may need to keep the whisky shoes in a bag; you may not often be able to go to work with a lavender shirt without making the wrong impression.

post #56 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-K-L View Post

Grey sport coat? Herringbone
Lavender shirt? Lavender gingham j.crew
Black trousers? Navy, I don't wear anything black
Plaster-coloured shoes? Ae stands in walnut

Complimenti, very elegant
post #57 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suit of Nettles View Post

I'm sure we've all enjoyed ribbing the OP a little, but let's be fair, here.  Merely kowtowing to circumstantial demands isn't something one would generally ask.  To paraphrase a parental classic, if you were in a room full of plebes, and every single one of them had the bottom buttons of their jackets done up, would you do yours up too?  If they all insisted that you do so, through humour or not, would you then?

We've all heard idiotic horror-stories.  There was a fellow here from Trinity Dublin (IIRC) who recently admitted that, after much deliberation, he'd given up pocket-squares because they were making the wrong impression.  Here's an impeccably educated guy working at a venerable academy in a city that is by no means a parochial backwater, and even he had to make a completely ludicrous sacrifice.  I've had people in my circuit belligerently insist that I fasten every button on a 3/2 jacket; 'if the button's there, it should be done up'.

The key thing is to negotiate a compromise between circumstance and personal style.  Merely saying 'up yours, fellas' and proceeding with excessive dress is foolhardy; falling back into schlubbery is unmanly.  While there are, as others have said, things to appreciate in the OP's most recent compromise, I'm not sure it goes far enough.  It's certainly less formal, I suspect that apart from the absence of a tie, it made the same unfortunate impression on his colleagues.  It's still fairly high-contrast; I think it would still come across as flashy, as still others have said.

I think what you're really looking for are much more casual fabrics -- linens, coarse cottons (e.g. khakis), slubby silks, maybe some *very* muted tweeds, and so on, with very basic and conservative shirts, shoes, and accessories.  You may need to keep the whisky shoes in a bag; you may not often be able to go to work with a lavender shirt without making the wrong impression.

Actually the absence of a tie really turned the heat down
post #58 of 158

Case in point - while my Walnut strands are a favorite of mine - wearing them with Navy is, IMO, a very poor fashion combination that is going to get you some odd looks.  With a pair of khaki colored pants you now have a more subtle style combination.  A dark brown or merlot is going to be just as stylish without the jarring contrast that walnut and navy provides.

post #59 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post


Actually the absence of a tie really turned the heat down

 

Interesting... that will really do it for some people, particularly when you move away from a suit to odd jackets and trousers as well, but I would wonder whether what you're experiencing is good or just better, or how much better it might be.  Still, that seems a good start.

post #60 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-K-L View Post

Grey sport coat?
Lavender shirt?
Black trousers?
Plaster-coloured shoes?

Complimenti, very elegant

Very combination
Much dandy
So complimenti
wow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time