or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time - Page 3

post #31 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post
 

What don't I get about it? Please enlighten me...

Your colleagues are your colleagues. You are not above them, you have achieved just as much as them. Don't try to usurp that by pretending to be above them in terms of class or "gentlemaness".

 

Dress appropriately.

 

Like it or not, your clothes are an extension of your personality. When you are in a business casual environment, you dress as such. Trying to dress higher than that is a pretension that comes with a lot of illusions of grandeur. Your colleagues aren't in business casual because society has been dumbed down, or because society has lost direction sartorially, they're in business casual because that's how it is in your workplace, and it would do you well to understand that. As I have said, showing up in a suit is just as inappropriate as showing up in shorts, sneakers, and a tee, because the dress code is business casual, so adhere to it. You are disenfranchising yourself by trying to distance yourself culturally from your peers. People skills are valuable in ascending the ladder of work. You're not better than everyone else for being interested in different things.

 

Also, I have no idea where you're getting this delusion that in previous decades all young men were interested in cars and sartorialism. It was never like that, and you didn't miss a generation.

post #32 of 158
^ that it is thought out, considered and the result of conscious decisions made by your boss's boss's boss's boss's boss, and intentionally developed to help the business make money. It doesn't matter if the guy working the counter at Starbucks would look better in a suit. At Starbucks, he should wear the uniform. It makes him do his job better. If everyone is casual and you show up in a suit and tie, then you are the guy without the uniform. There is a reason why casual dress is the code at your office. I don't know what you do and I don't know why, but it isn't an accident and the people at the top aren't stupid. If you think they are, you should go find something else to do.
post #33 of 158
You guys are trolled way too easily.
post #34 of 158
I usually just lurk but I made an account just for this topic.

I was in a very similar situation as you a few weeks ago. I'm a 23 year old recent college grad ( December 13) and started work 2 months ago. We were asked to wear a suit for the orientation to take badge pictures. That was the only time a suit was appropriate. People in the office just don't wear suits. I did for about a week before I realized on my own I looked like an ass. No more suits. Ever. The executives don't even wear a suit everyday. Just don't do it man. Here's what you can do. Lose the tie and get a few sport coats. You will still look better than those who opt for the khakis and polos but will still be firmly rooted in office appropriate business casual dress.
post #35 of 158
Please post pics. Please. This thread is so full of wasted potential.
post #36 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU13 View Post

I usually just lurk but I made an account just for this topic.

I was in a very similar situation as you a few weeks ago. I'm a 23 year old recent college grad ( December 13) and started work 2 months ago. We were asked to wear a suit for the orientation to take badge pictures. That was the only time a suit was appropriate. People in the office just don't wear suits. I did for about a week before I realized on my own I looked like an ass. No more suits. Ever. The executives don't even wear a suit everyday. Just don't do it man. Here's what you can do. Lose the tie and get a few sport coats. You will still look better than those who opt for the khakis and polos but will still be firmly rooted in office appropriate business casual dress.

I should have prefaced my post a bit. When I first started, it was business casual everyday until about 9 months in. (Occasional sportcoat as I have many) I did fit in at first. Then, my company decided to consolidate a few different leased buildings into one large headquarters building. A building where we have customers, partners, even the CEO walking around. It was the first day in the new building that I used as an excuse to wear a tie. It started with the tie, then tie everyday except Friday, then moved to suits (in colder weather) where I would come in and take off the jacket and wear the shirt and tie around the building. Then it just became the norm for me, until in certain situations it just became awkward not wearing a tie, but awkward to wear one as well. After that, I just thought about what I wanted to wear, and it just so happened that I liked how I looked in a suit and tie. Until someone took real offense to it.

 

I am going to try business casual this summer again. Let's see if it helps my chances in becoming the CEO. 

post #37 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post

I am going to try business casual this summer again. Let's see if it helps my chances in becoming the CEO. 

I think if you present a portfolio of full-suit bathroom selfies to the board of directors you'll be in good shape.
post #38 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balfour View Post

I see the legend in his own mind has taken down his pics.

Enjoy.
http://www.styleforum.net/g/a/536801/guys-giving-me-a-hard-time-at-work-because-i-wear-suits-all-the-time/
post #39 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

I think if you present a portfolio of full-suit bathroom selfies to the board of directors you'll be in good shape.[/quote

Good advice, but make sure to put the seat down.
post #40 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post


Charles Bronson? Sounds more like Harvey Keitel's orientation talk in Reservoir Dogs.

Indeed, the 'wisdom' of Mr. White seemed to fit with the OP's attitude!:)

post #41 of 158
just switch companies
post #42 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

Your colleagues aren't giving you a hard time. They are trying to gently tell you that your clothing choices are negatively affecting your image at work. You're lucky. In many industries you would have just been fired or written off completely. It is possible that will still happen to you (and likely that you've already put yourself in a pretty big hole). You seem to have a sense that you have a problem, but you don't know what it is. It isn't your clothing. Its that you don't get corporate culture. You don't understand why its important. I think you are likely to learn a hard lesson soon.

What draws you to that conclusion without knowing so many of the details?

post #43 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickback View Post

What draws you to that conclusion without knowing so many of the details?

Because we are older than you and been there done that, and because we were stubborn like you at 25 and thought we knew how the world works. Other than that, no reason...biggrin.gif
post #44 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


Because we are older than you and been there done that, and because we were stubborn like you at 25 and thought we knew how the world works. Other than that, no reason...biggrin.gif

Well hey, you live and you learn...

post #45 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRubbery View Post
 

 

FWIW I've flown first since before I could walk. 

 

What was your point again? I couldn't hear you over sound of my seventh glass of pre-departure Dom being poured. 

 

Pics of Jacuzzisuit? ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time