or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › asian hair
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

asian hair

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
I'm an asian male and I don't like my hair. It's really really straight and hard t omanage. It poofs out when it short so I have to leave it long but it looks messy. Is there a way to get it like hispanic and white peoples hair. Like how its so smooth, texturized, and flat even when its short.

kinda like this guy: http://i8.tinypic.com/52mlb34.jpg

and please none of the "be proud of who you are" and "grass isn't always greener" crap
post #2 of 56
You could get it permed, but there is no real way to get white hair. Don't know why you'd want it, tbh.
post #3 of 56
Try washing it infrequently. I'm asian, and I wash it about once a week. It doesnt ever smell unsavory, but I take care of it. Once the hair has had a break from washing, the oils usually make the hair a little more matted, and malleable. I find that I can work with my hair more when it's a little oily. I've also had every hair style and color known to man.
post #4 of 56
Dude - seriously - dont complain about your hair - the follicles can sense anything bad you say about them and they may just decide to leave if they get really pissed off.

troop
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90 View Post
I'm an asian male and I don't like my hair. It's really really straight and hard t omanage. It poofs out when it short so I have to leave it long but it looks messy. Is there a way to get it like hispanic and white peoples hair. Like how its so smooth, texturized, and flat even when its short.

kinda like this guy: http://i8.tinypic.com/52mlb34.jpg

and please none of the "be proud of who you are" and "grass isn't always greener" crap

Lucky you; you could have "halfie-hair".

koji
post #6 of 56
You could get a straightening perm, that should help with the poofy issue. Any asian hair salon can help more than we can.
post #7 of 56
Shave your head and wear a rug. You may pick any style you want.
post #8 of 56
ahhhchu90: The type of hair of the guy in the picture you provided isn't difficult at all to achieve with Asian hair. With adequate length (probably ~2 inches), chunking with some pomade will do the trick.

GoSurface: What short/medium styles (the Korean soap star look is overdone) have you found to be especially compatible with Asian hair? I recently began experimenting and acquired a faux hawk because of its versatility and low maintenance but also because I was strapped for other ideas. I also want to get some color done, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out which ones don't show up well nor am I sure whether I want to just do the front, bangs and hairline, or frost the entire strip.
post #9 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.trick View Post
ahhhchu90: The type of hair of the guy in the picture you provided isn't difficult at all to achieve with Asian hair. With adequate length (probably ~2 inches), chunking with some pomade will do the trick.

GoSurface: What short/medium styles (the Korean soap star look is overdone) have you found to be especially compatible with Asian hair? I recently began experimenting and acquired a faux hawk because of its versatility and low maintenance but also because I was strapped for other ideas. I also want to get some color done, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out which ones don't show up well nor am I sure whether I want to just do the front, bangs and hairline, or frost the entire strip.


using pomade doesnt really get the nautral looking wavy texture that i want. its still very straight but with pomade on it. what if i get a body wave?
post #10 of 56
I have asian hair. Had huge problems with it--very poofy in a wavy-inflating kind of way. Then I met my incredibly skilled-like-Edwards-Scissorhands Japanese hairdresser. I've been going to her for three years now, dropping $45 per haircut (cheap by NYC standards) and happy every single time I leave.

She happens to be a Japanese craftsperson who's NOT a fan of wild and crazy, but rather, focuses on shape, texture and what looks good on me.

My advice: find a good Asian 'cutter and stay with them. I'd steer clear of Asian-American, and try for a real 'FOB' kind of joint.

Another thing: my hairdresser turned me onto using a dryer. It really has helped. I only use it for a final drying, but it keeps my hair from curling as it's prone to doing when it air dries.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.trick View Post
GoSurface: What short/medium styles (the Korean soap star look is overdone) have you found to be especially compatible with Asian hair? I recently began experimenting and acquired a faux hawk because of its versatility and low maintenance but also because I was strapped for other ideas. I also want to get some color done, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out which ones don't show up well nor am I sure whether I want to just do the front, bangs and hairline, or frost the entire strip.

DISCLAIMER: Excuse the Gay.com pics. hahah.

I had this hairstyle for around 7 years. It served me well. Short on the sides and spikey up top. I tamed it down for work, but you can play with it a lot more if you keep some length.



I've also had a fauxhawk....







....but I'm currently sticking with the cut in the first pic, and just experimenting with color now.



My hair is currently blond with gray high-lights. But I don't really have a good pic of it yet.
post #12 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSurface View Post
DISCLAIMER: Excuse the Gay.com pics. hahah.

I had this hairstyle for around 7 years. It served me well. Short on the sides and spikey up top. I tamed it down for work, but you can play with it a lot more if you keep some length.



I've also had a fauxhawk....







....but I'm currently sticking with the cut in the first pic, and just experimenting with color now.



My hair is currently blond with gray high-lights. But I don't really have a good pic of it yet.




i like the sides of your hair in the second and third pictures. its really flat and texturized. is it normally like that or is it stubbornly straight?
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90 View Post
i like the sides of your hair in the second and third pictures. its really flat and texturized. is it normally like that or is it stubbornly straight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSurface View Post
Try washing it infrequently. I'm asian, and I wash it about once a week. It doesnt ever smell unsavory, but I take care of it. Once the hair has had a break from washing, the oils usually make the hair a little more matted, and malleable. I find that I can work with my hair more when it's a little oily.

I occasionally go 2-3 days without washing my hair and can confirm this effect. My hair would feel notably thicker/heavier and my would would lay flat on my bangs forehead. I could sculpt chunks of my hair to a certain degree.

A barber can't change the texture of your hair, but the subtle use of highlights and/or cutting ends unevenly with a shear point technique can create the same effect.

Or just wear a military cap to sleep.
post #14 of 56
wow I could conceive going 2 days without washing but a week? I think it would stink like all hell.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorian View Post
I have asian hair. Had huge problems with it--very poofy in a wavy-inflating kind of way. Then I met my incredibly skilled-like-Edwards-Scissorhands Japanese hairdresser. I've been going to her for three years now, dropping $45 per haircut (cheap by NYC standards) and happy every single time I leave. She happens to be a Japanese craftsperson who's NOT a fan of wild and crazy, but rather, focuses on shape, texture and what looks good on me. My advice: find a good Asian 'cutter and stay with them. I'd steer clear of Asian-American, and try for a real 'FOB' kind of joint. Another thing: my hairdresser turned me onto using a dryer. It really has helped. I only use it for a final drying, but it keeps my hair from curling as it's prone to doing when it air dries.
I have to second this. I don't have asian hair, but I've just had my hair cut at a really "fob" place here in Vancouver (Chura hair-salon, they have two locations in Tokyo and two here). The stylists speak fairly bad english, but they're amazing at what they do. I've been getting haircuts at much more expensive places for past three years and have never been this happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
wow I could conceive going 2 days without washing but a week? I think it would stink like all hell.
I have to agree. Just because you can't smell it, doesn't mean it doesn't stink. Trust me, it does... you just got used to it, same way you get used to perfume.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › asian hair