or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shrinking linen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shrinking linen

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I bought a Linen (short sleeve black shirt). It was the last one in the shop (Gucci), so at haste I bought it, only to find when I brought it home, it was too large for me. Is there any way I can shrink the Linen (i.e. Cold wash). I am aware that I can take it to a tailor, however, that would take too long. Any ideas how to shrink it?
post #2 of 20
i was just thinking about that for a linen jacket i have...and in fact, a shirt too. Probably not for the jacket, i guess i'll have to wait and see with you for the shirt. good call, IG
post #3 of 20
Linen is not sanforized. If you wash it and put it in a dryer, it will shrink. If the garment looks like it was prewashed then you will not get the desired shrinkage.
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Linen is not sanforized. If you wash it and put it in a dryer, it will shrink. If the garment looks like it was prewashed then you will not get the desired shrinkage.
Should I wash it in cold or hot water?
post #5 of 20
the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
Thanks, will get the maid to try it now.
post #7 of 20
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth. why not just say, "i'll try that now." (sorry, j, steve )
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Quote:
(hermes @ 23 July 2004, 8:19) the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
Thanks, will get the maid to try it now.
Who is in your avatar by the way?
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
(kalra2411 @ 23 July 2004, 12:47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes,23 July 2004, 8:19
the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
Thanks, will get the maid to try it now.
Who is in your avatar by the way?
That is me, at the recent wedding of my daughter.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth. why not just say, "i'll try that now." (sorry, j, steve   )
People in England do not have a superiority complex. I do realise that Americans do, after all, that is what their country is about - escaping from the British hieratical social standing system. I obviously did not mean to cause offense, but in England, people would think nothing of such a comment. EDIT: Also, if I said what you told me to say, it would be a lie.
post #11 of 20
I am English, Kalra, but congratulations on an imaginative retort.
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I am English, Kalra, but congratulations on an imaginative retort.
Yes, then you must be in the north, or at the very least not in the Westend.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth.
Thanks. I don't think I'd be a liar if I said that you speak for most members of the forum.
Quote:
(sorry, j, steve )
Apologies on my part too. BTW, I'm under the impression that most Brits are very much against archaic class system that was exasperated during the Victorian era. Thus the tradition (I've never experienced it myself, but just heard from English friends) of everyone buying their round at the pub, whether they work in the factory or own the factory.
post #14 of 20
Between Dorian and Kalra, I know who I'd buy a beer for and who I'd spill his beer (sorry, I meant really expensive whiskey, or perhaps a frou frou drink) on. Last peep out of me, Steve and J, I promise.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
BTW, I'm under the impression that most Brits are very much against archaic class system that was exasperated during the Victorian era. Thus the tradition (I've never experienced it myself, but just heard from English friends) of everyone buying their round at the pub, whether they work in the factory or own the factory.
Yes, that is probably true outside of the Westend these days, but as I am in the westend, I have no need to worry about such views.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shrinking linen