or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop? - Page 5

post #61 of 305
*moves back to NYC*
post #62 of 305
Hi Forumers,

My first post and didn't want a splash, so I'll just slide one in right here:
DC sux for shopping and everything else (but politics?).
I moved here from Chicago for work, and basically cry myself to sleep every night.
I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!
post #63 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frere Taz View Post
Hi Forumers,

My first post and didn't want a splash, so I'll just slide one in right here:
DC sux for shopping and everything else (but politics?).
I moved here from Chicago for work, and basically cry myself to sleep every night.
I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!

You're not winning.
post #64 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frere Taz View Post
Hi Forumers,

My first post and didn't want a splash, so I'll just slide one in right here:
DC sux for shopping and everything else (but politics?).
I moved here from Chicago for work, and basically cry myself to sleep every night.
I'm in my 30's.

So there's my intro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post
You're not winning.

+1. there are winners and there are losers. you sound like a loser.

post #65 of 305
actually DC has very good shopping. it's the politics that suck. It's very interesting to me how people bash DC shopping when it's the consumer who dictates what is being sold. The washington area in a test ground for department stores. It's hard for a specialty store to succeed when the customer base is a handful of people and of the handful of people half only want something on sale.

Think about it.

2 saks and a saks mens store
2 neimuns
2 or 3 bloomies
at least 3 nordies
2 barney's co-ops

and that's just the beginning.
Specialty stores-
lost boys
redeem
rue14
relish
passport
and other that I dont know exist.
post #66 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
actually DC has very good shopping. it's the politics that suck. It's very interesting to me how people bash DC shopping when it's the consumer who dictates what is being sold. The washington area in a test ground for department stores. It's hard for a specialty store to succeed when the customer base is a handful of people and of the handful of people half only want something on sale.

Think about it.

2 saks and a saks mens store
2 neimuns
2 or 3 bloomies
at least 3 nordies
2 barney's co-ops

and that's just the beginning.
Specialty stores-
lost boys
redeem
rue14
relish
passport
and other that I dont know exist.

it is essentially impossible for customers to "vote with their money" when the stores don't even carry your size. Saks in Chevy Chase dropped Dries van Noten, they don't carry 46 in Jil Sander, they packed up Dior Homme and shoved it into boutiques in NY and LA and they dropped Gucci.

Bloomies in Chevy Chase is actually pretty good. They carry Burberry Prorsum and Neil Barrett.
Neimans is a total joke that caters to hip hop black people and old men in suits. How can I vote with my dollars there if they carry nothing but garbage Etro and Armani. Every Neimans I've been into has sucked for men.
post #67 of 305
Lol, yes Mauro. As individual customers we entirely dictate what other people buy/what stores are supported.
post #68 of 305
^^ silly me.


sq4u-
that's bullshit. If a product doesn't have a good sell through it's dropped. Neimuns used to be packed with gucci and jil. That customer isn't here anymore. The customer wants Hugo Boss, theory, zenga, brioni,etc

Thom Browne will disappear if people don't buy his stuff at Barney's.

There are PLENTY of good things to be had and if it's in another store it can always be requested and sent to the store you choose. You should know this using a personal shopper and all.

As far as Gucci is concerned go to the gucci store and have it sent if they don't stock it.

The point is if you want it you can get , here in DC. If you really want to change things have your friends and others start requesting the brands you wish for and actually buy it. It will happen , I know from experience.
post #69 of 305
mauro is right. those stores stock what they stock because people buy it. sorry if your aesthetic is unpopular.
post #70 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq4you View Post
+1. there are winners and there are losers. you sound like a loser.


I come in here, make one post, and u declare me a loser.
No prob, man.
I think u are one of us (Losers) then, and a bigger one to boot.
post #71 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
mauro is right. those stores stock what they stock because people buy it. sorry if your aesthetic is unpopular.

Unfortunately true

I'm in the same boat with sq

size 34-36 jacket, XS-S shirt, 29-30 pants, and I like many of the brands mentioned

but unfortunately just like in real voting, majority rules, and I'm definitely not in it
post #72 of 305
^^ but you can still get what you want.
I would like to think you would like my stuff. I cater to a smaller guy.
I make a 34 chest to a 44 chest and a 27 waist to a 36 ( sometimes 38)
Even if you don't shop with me and prefer Barney's or Saks just ask a sale rep to order it and they will.
After a while you will see more stuff in your size.
You also need to establish a relationship with a sales rep. If he or she knows you are an "XS" and are looking for "xs" have that person call you. Honor his /her call and check out what they have. It will work to your advantage especially if they only get 1 xs per size run of the designers you seek.
post #73 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
^^ but you can still get what you want. I would like to think you would like my stuff. I cater to a smaller guy. I make a 34 chest to a 44 chest and a 27 waist to a 36 ( sometimes 38) Even if you don't shop with me and prefer Barney's or Saks just ask a sale rep to order it and they will. After a while you will see more stuff in your size. You also need to establish a relationship with a sales rep. If he or she knows you are an "XS" and are looking for "xs" have that person call you. Honor his /her call and check out what they have. It will work to your advantage especially if they only get 1 xs per size run of the designers you seek.
Thanks, this is good advice. I'm new to the fashunz, so I'm still learning a lot. I'm trying to buy less online and more in physical locations, for various reasons, but I probably don't have enough of an income for a sales rep to care about me (I can spend maybe $500/month on clothes, max). it's good to keep in mind, regardless Does WvG have a retail location in DC? Oh, and where do I look for deets on that trunk sale?
post #74 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frere Taz View Post
I come in here, make one post, and u declare me a loser.
No prob, man.
I think u are one of us (Losers) then, and a bigger one to boot.

well i was semi joking. but the fact that you declare everything in DC to suck leads me to question your taste in everything. obviously dc fashion (oxymoron) is non-existent, but there is tons of good food, lots of good bands come to DC, there are lots of great bars, GT is awesome, the verizon center is pretty cool, chinatown is great, U st, H st, lots of different types of girls, raggae nights at ESL, latin nights at madame's organ, etc etc etc.
post #75 of 305
NYC still better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?