• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Good is BB's So-called "Unconditional Guarantee"?

markdc

Reaction score
On its website, Brooks Brothers states:

"Brooks Brothers guarantees its merchandise and your satisfaction. Purchases may be exchanged or returned at any time. With a receipt, full merchandise refunds will be issued by original payment method. Without a receipt, merchandise refunds will only be issued at current sale price on a Brooks Brothers Merchandise Credit Card. Cash refunded only in amounts of $250 or less at Brooks Brothers retail stores in the United States only."

Have any of you tried to take advantage of this guarantee before without a receipt? And how fair are they in terms of refunding your money?

Thanks!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Are you trying to josepidal them?

This is markdc"s first post!

Welcome to SF Mark.

Don't worry if you dont understand Ed's question.

You are not alone.

I've never returned anything to BB, but I'll bet that someone here has experience with BB returns.

TomW

Reaction score
I've taken back a 3 year old mtm suit because one sleeve came off - I was not seeking a refund, but a repair. BB not only repaired the sleeve, they refunded about half the original purchase price as well.

borace

Reaction score
I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.

markdc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borace
I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.

Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.

markdc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.

Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.

borace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by markdc
Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!

I live in the UK and my shirts were originally purchased during vacations, all on seperate occasions at BB's in NY, San Francisco and Florida. I returned them without receipts to the Newberry Street store, where I found the staff to be extremely helpful.

If I were in NY I think I would use the 346, simply because if I wanted an exchange the choice would probably be wider there.

From my experience, I don't think you need to worry about the staff being defensive

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by markdc
Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.

It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.

markdc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.

Understood. So I assume that the blacklisting is what happens when you try to "josepidal" them, as edmorel puts it? Haha. Would anyone mind explaining the inside joke?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating.

Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.

markdc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating.

Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.

So if I'm a college student interning in the city, I'd probably be less intimidated walking into 5th Ave? ;-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads