or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How Good is BB's So-called "Unconditional Guarantee"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Good is BB's So-called "Unconditional Guarantee"?

post #1 of 73
Thread Starter 
On its website, Brooks Brothers states:

"Brooks Brothers guarantees its merchandise and your satisfaction. Purchases may be exchanged or returned at any time. With a receipt, full merchandise refunds will be issued by original payment method. Without a receipt, merchandise refunds will only be issued at current sale price on a Brooks Brothers Merchandise Credit Card. Cash refunded only in amounts of $250 or less at Brooks Brothers retail stores in the United States only."

Have any of you tried to take advantage of this guarantee before without a receipt? And how fair are they in terms of refunding your money?

Thanks!
post #2 of 73
Are you trying to josepidal them?
post #3 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Are you trying to josepidal them?

This is markdc"s first post!

Welcome to SF Mark.

Don't worry if you dont understand Ed's question.

You are not alone.

I've never returned anything to BB, but I'll bet that someone here has experience with BB returns.
post #4 of 73
I've taken back a 3 year old mtm suit because one sleeve came off - I was not seeking a refund, but a repair. BB not only repaired the sleeve, they refunded about half the original purchase price as well.
post #5 of 73
Will let you know if a couple of days regarding some shoes
post #6 of 73
I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.
post #7 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by borace View Post
I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.

Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 73
I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.
post #9 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.

Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.
post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdc View Post
Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!



I live in the UK and my shirts were originally purchased during vacations, all on seperate occasions at BB's in NY, San Francisco and Florida. I returned them without receipts to the Newberry Street store, where I found the staff to be extremely helpful.

If I were in NY I think I would use the 346, simply because if I wanted an exchange the choice would probably be wider there.

From my experience, I don't think you need to worry about the staff being defensive
post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdc View Post
Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.

It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.
post #12 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.

Understood. So I assume that the blacklisting is what happens when you try to "josepidal" them, as edmorel puts it? Haha. Would anyone mind explaining the inside joke?
post #13 of 73
Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating. Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.
post #14 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post
Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating.

Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.

So if I'm a college student interning in the city, I'd probably be less intimidated walking into 5th Ave? ;-)
post #15 of 73
Thread Starter 
And thanks for the quick responses from everybody. All of you have made a great first impression. SF seems like a great forum!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How Good is BB's So-called "Unconditional Guarantee"?