• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with this shoe choice

yeayea

Reaction score
E Park Aves vs. Drydens

I havent seen the Drydens in person yet, but Im assuming they will fit like the Park Aves. Also, I wonder if they will be too dress for business casual.

I think the price is right at $150 each, new.

I may get them both: one in brown, one in black.

What do you guys think?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both shoes are fine, assuming they fit.

I think the park avenue will finish over $180, but that's just me. It's very difficult to get on sale.

yeayea

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems the Park Aves in particular are very difficult to find below retail, new anyway.

Perhaps I should consider another style.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might bypass AE altogether and watch the Buy/Sell forum for the Marteganis that will be coming up from Rider. They are much sleeker; though I haven't seen them in person to judge the construction, they look to be at least as good or better. They've all been $175 or less and in styles from dress to casual.

southbound35

Reaction score
Of the two, I think the Park Avenue is the more attractive shoe. To be honest I normally prefer a more chiseled toe, but the Dryden seems too squared off for my taste.

I'm not sure what the previous poster is referring to regarding Rider/Martegani, but I will say I have a pair of Marteganis that I am more than pleased with. If you can get a style that suits you, any price less than $200 would be a bargain. To my eye, the Marteganis are much more attractive than AE's. That being said, those who seem to be quite knowledgeable tend to agree that AE's offer outstanding construction at an affordable price (especially sale price).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I might bypass AE altogether and watch the Buy/Sell forum for the Marteganis that will be coming up from Rider. They are much sleeker; though I haven't seen them in person to judge the construction, they look to be at least as good or better. They've all been $175 or less and in styles from dress to casual.

I agree with the Martegani suggestion and dealing with Ron Rider. Here's an example of what you can get in a size 9 within your budget:

e071_3.JPG

Ebay Martegani listing

modmica

Reaction score
Are you set on getting a balmoral? I would consider a blucher for business casual.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I agree with the Martegani suggestion and dealing with Ron Rider. Here's an example of what you can get in a size 9 within your budget:
e071_3.JPG
Ebay Martegani listing

What shoe is this...great looking...have not seen it posted by ron....really really nice ooops just saw the auction...sorry...someone should grab those...i picked up a cognac lace up from rontwo weeks go....at that price a steal

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modmica
Are you set on getting a balmoral? I would consider a blucher for business casual.

Good point. Thanks. Im new at this so Im counting on you guys to point out details like this. The whole business-casual is so confusing. I think my department is more casual than the others in the office. (Havent started yet)

Im in urban planning. Im an engineer and planner who will be working in the urban design division. It seems the engineering department is more conservative and business dress while my department seems to be more of a design/architecture focus and is more casual.

Anyway, Im also considering AE Dentons in brown.

southbound35

Reaction score
Again, I'm not a big AE fan, but the Dentons seem to be better than the other two for a business casual setting. If you can find two or three AE's that you like at discount, I'd buy them so you'll have respectable shoes to wear to the new job. Once you start and have worked there a few weeks, I'd determine what the general dress code around the office is, then try to step your dress up one notch from the better dressed people. Looking slightly better than most is fine. Looking substantially better than all can be a bit off-putting in an office environment.

modmica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Again, I'm not a big AE fan, but the Dentons seem to be better than the other two for a business casual setting. If you can find two or three AE's that you like at discount, I'd buy them so you'll have respectable shoes to wear to the new job. Once you start and have worked there a few weeks, I'd determine what the general dress code around the office is, then try to step your dress up one notch from the better dressed people. Looking slightly better than most is fine. Looking substantially better than all can be a bit off-putting in an office environment.

+1 on all of the above. (Except that I am a fan of AE's. I think they are a good value and they have such a range of styles that most folks can find something suitable. Probably 1/4 to 1/3 of my shoes are AE.)

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to be a little different so the plain-Jane vanilla look of the Park Ave is a little too utilitarian for me. Definitely THE business staple though. The Dryden on the other hand is just formal enough to work in any business situation and has just enough ornamentation to be stylish at the same time IMO. I really like the way the Dryden looks.

+1 on Rider's Martenganis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads