or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kabbaz Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kabbaz Shirts - Page 13

post #181 of 231
Despos always does 'proto-types' for custom dress shirts.

The first one or two are the rough drafts to refine.
post #182 of 231
I'm sorry, but all bespoke shirts should have patterns matched, if not, you are being seriously ripped off. Especially since companies like H&K match patterns very well in their RTW shirts.

Jon.
post #183 of 231
Charvet and Lanvin both make sample shirts.
post #184 of 231
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Charvet and Lanvin both make sample shirts.

So you say.
post #185 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
So you say.

You know what would be awesome? A sample suit. Since bespoke tailors already cost so much, they should make you a sample suit, that way they can make every suit perfectly.

Jon.
post #186 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
So you say.

http://www.mensvogue.com/clothing/th...lanvin_bespoke
post #187 of 231
I'll take a sample wardrobe please.
post #188 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
I'll take a sample wardrobe please.

+1. How about a sample life?

Jon.
post #189 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
+1. How about a sample life?

Jon.

post #190 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
+1. How about a sample life?

Jon.

Unfortunately, that's the one thing we only get one of.
post #191 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
Unfortunately, that's the one thing we only get one of.

That's unacceptable! I want my money back!

Jon.
post #192 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
It was on Ask Andy, [. . .] so any further outrage at Kabbaz prices should be vented in other directions.

A very well-written and insightful post, Manton. Oh shit, did I just become a Manton lackey? Well, fuggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
This post needs to be deleted and the thread locked, lest the subject not come up again.

I see your point. Still, if your request were not carried out, how would one be assured that the contrary to your statement would not never happen at no time in the near (or distant) future?
post #193 of 231
[quote=rnoldh;577089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
That explains a lot.[/QU

Here is a picture of some guy wearing a Kabbaz shirt.

You judge the fit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
. . . As has been discussed before, he makes his sleeves differently. Most shirtmakers make a somewhat tight cuff and a slightly overlong sleeve. That way they pretty much guarantee that the sleeve cuffs falls to the same spot every time, even if the sleeve length is off by a fraction of an inch. It also prevents the cuffs from riding up as you move your arm. AK prefers to make shirt sleeves like coat sleeves, pitched and tapered to the hang of the arm, and at the precise length necessary. He takes care of the "riding up" problem through high armholes, some excess room at the elbow, and other little tricks I frankly did not understand. . . .

The detail manton discusses above is one of the most interesting things about AK's shirts to me. In the picture of Alex quoted above you can see quite clearly that there is something different about the way the sleeves are cut. You can also see that the cuffs seems a bit looser than usual. As manton explains, that is because Alex does not rely on the wrist closure to keep the sleeve length and cuff in the right place. Instead, he relies on the curvature of the sleeve in his pattern and other design elements. of As a result, the cuff width looks weird to me. Is it wrong? No. If Alex's sleeve cutting does what he (and manton) says it does, than there is no reason for the cuff to be tighter (as long as it isn't so wide as to catch in a coat sleeve). In fact, a looser cuff might be better and more comfortable than the tighter cuff. Still, I can't help but be a prisoner of habit and even if the loose cuff is a superior solution enabled by superior skill, it still looks odd to me.

Are your AK cuffs looser than usual, manton? If so, did it bother you? Did you get used to it?
post #194 of 231
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
You know what would be awesome? A sample suit. Since bespoke tailors already cost so much, they should make you a sample suit, that way they can make every suit perfectly.

There is such a thing; it's called a "muslin." Though it's not always made of muslin. Frank Shattuck made no less than three for me, plus two muslin vests. No other tailor I know of still does this, however.
post #195 of 231
[quote=dopey;578267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



The detail manton discusses above is one of the most interesting things about AK's shirts to me. In the picture of Alex quoted above you can see quite clearly that there is something different about the way the sleeves are cut. You can also see that the cuffs seems a bit looser than usual. As manton explains, that is because Alex does not rely on the wrist closure to keep the sleeve length and cuff in the right place. Instead, he relies on the curvature of the sleeve in his pattern and other design elements. of As a result, the cuff width looks weird to me. Is it wrong? No. If Alex's sleeve cutting does what he (and manton) says it does, than there is no reason for the cuff to be tighter (as long as it isn't so wide as to catch in a coat sleeve). In fact, a looser cuff might be better and more comfortable than the tighter cuff. Still, I can't help but be a prisoner of habit and even if the loose cuff is a superior solution enabled by superior skill, it still looks odd to me.

Are your AK cuffs looser than usual, manton? If so, did it bother you? Did you get used to it?

Isn't that what the scotch tape is for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kabbaz Shirts