Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Insurrection / Thurston Bros., Aero Leather Jackets North America - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:46 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Silent by Damir Doma Leather/Wool Bomber Baseball Jacket Cool Grey $850 Last post on 6/12/15 at 4:13pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- VISVIM "grails" closet clean out *New Items Weekly* Last post on 10/12/14 at 5:04pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO - Page 81
Styleforum Top Picks
Wow that jacket looks great Synth. Slim the sleeves a touch and I'm sold.
Is there a summary post somewhere in this thread or would somebody mind giving the cliff notes real quickly??
....i dunno how i missed this thread for so long. Important info..... preorders - when/how/where? price? availability? sizing appears to be being tweaked still, correct? (i read back through the previous 10 pages or so)
Edited by Krish the Fish - 8/26/14 at 1:39pm
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Fok sent the prototype of the SF x Vanson x Thurston Bros. double-rider jacket (there’s a mouthful) my way about two weeks ago, and it was supposed to accompany me on a sort of bizarre trip through Sweden. It was all set to arrive well before I left the country - and then USPS happened. Briefly, through a confluence of incompetences, it was lost; when I took my delivery slip to the post office, the matter-of-fact ladies told me it was nowhere to be found (this was after I’d driven there a second time - the first time, the truck was “running late”) - they thought maybe it could be because there was a “substitute mailman” (the mind boggles) who had done…something…on the delivery date; the substitute mailman either didn’t remember - or, more likely - had no idea what anyone was talking about. At any rate, the jacket didn’t make it to Sweden, and I consider it very lucky that it showed up four or five days later as though nothing had happened. My girlfriend opened the package while I was away, and I could almost hear her nose turning up when she texted me that it “smells like leather.” It does. Very strongly.
Anyway, I’ve finally gotten a chance to come back and play dress-up for a while, and I think that most people are going to appreciate the changes that have already been suggested. Even on my 6’1, gibbon-armed frame, the sleeves are a touch long - they would be perfect if I owned a motorcycle, although as my only engagement with people on motorcycles is getting frustrated when old people on Goldwings drive really slowly in the left lane, some shortening would be good. Same goes for the revised shoulder measurements - a 19.5” shoulder is generally what I look for in things that fit me, and the measurement is definitely “right” for my body. But the excess material in the shoulder gives the jacket a boxier shape, and also has the effect of creating a large armhole - not a bad thing at all, but, as Fuuma has already pointed out, this is a fashion jacket for people who are going to be sitting around in it drinking overpriced coffee. Right now it looks very much like a biker jacket.
Okay, other stuff to note: The leather (z150) is serious business. I have no desire to go up in weight. It’s stiff, it’s thick, and I desperately want to see what it looks like in a year or two (I mean, we’ve seen, but, like, I want to see). The construction reflects that: the seams are thick, the zippers are heavy, and I would be interested in shaking the hand of the sewing machine responsible for the work. If you are looking for supple, baby’s-bottom lamb leather, look elsewhere, because Wilson’s leather this is not. It is excellent. I love the way you can grab it and squeeze it and sort of mold it into place the way you like. Really, really cool. So is the bicep pocket, and so is my favorite detail, which is the angled interior pocket on the left side (there’s a standard pocket on the inside right). I like pockets. A lot.
Overall, the jacket, as it stands, is cool in the way that the Terminator is cool, or that power metal is cool (it is). It’s going to be even cooler. Did I mention how great the leather is? Can you imagine how it’s going to cord around you elbows and crease at the places where you tug the collar up at night? How the leather at the cuffs will dull from years and years of use? Picture it now: custom fit, custom patch, custom liner - we’re going to be like the kids in “Stress” before Justice got, like, totally irrelevant. No - cooler than that. Or maybe high-octane living isn’t your style. Maybe you’ll own it for forty years and walk down the same street to the cafe every morning; you’ll pull a well-worn scarf around your neck when it’s cold, and the only battle you’ll do is with the paper and a cappuccino. Regardless of what sort of scraps you think you might find yourself in, this is going to be a jacket that’ll have your back for a very long time. I can’t wait to see the final product.
I also gave it the Shiba Test (the most important test):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The other one was not impressed (she is never impressed) with my endless preening, and chose to sleep on her favorite toy instead:
Great writeup. I really like the way it looked on you as is. But do agree there is extra leather in shoulders.
The arms will appear a lot slimmer one they are shortened. That's a pretty common illusion when the arms are overly long and the shoulders a bit big. Also, slimming the arms any more will 1) throw off the balance, and 2) If you wear a knit underneath, and the arms are anyt slimmer, then will be blood pressure test tight, and 3)@Synthese may be, as Thurston already commented, either in a size larger than he needs, or between sizes.
Please keep all of that in mind.
- Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › I watched The Italian Job (1969) 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments SS15 3 minutes ago
- › Tea Appreciation 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 9 minutes ago
- › Any hotel recommendations for Singapore and Bali? 15 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 17 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...