Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Leather Jackets: Traditional, Military, Moto, Heritage Brands and Reproductions Last post on 2/3/16 at 9:30am in Streetwear and Denim
- Leather Jacket Help: Langlitz vs Lost Worlds vs Lewis Last post on 7/23/15 at 6:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 2/10/16 at 5:52pm in Streetwear and Denim
Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO - Page 81post #1202 of 19988/26/14 at 9:01ampost #1203 of 19988/26/14 at 9:15ampost #1204 of 19988/26/14 at 9:20ampost #1205 of 19988/26/14 at 9:22ampost #1206 of 19988/26/14 at 9:25ampost #1207 of 19988/26/14 at 9:56am
Wow that jacket looks great Synth. Slim the sleeves a touch and I'm sold.
Is there a summary post somewhere in this thread or would somebody mind giving the cliff notes real quickly??
....i dunno how i missed this thread for so long. Important info..... preorders - when/how/where? price? availability? sizing appears to be being tweaked still, correct? (i read back through the previous 10 pages or so)post #1208 of 19988/26/14 at 10:01ampost #1209 of 19988/26/14 at 10:03ampost #1210 of 19988/26/14 at 10:07ampost #1211 of 19988/26/14 at 10:12amAre the sleeve zippers supposed to be on the front of the sleeve? Just wondering if that was a conscious expectation of the design. IMO, it might look better with the zips on the side (or back) of the sleeve, but that's just me. Feel free to ignore said advice.
Edited by Krish the Fish - 8/26/14 at 1:39pmpost #1212 of 19988/26/14 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Synthese
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Hey Guys,
Fok sent the prototype of the SF x Vanson x Thurston Bros. double-rider jacket (there’s a mouthful) my way about two weeks ago, and it was supposed to accompany me on a sort of bizarre trip through Sweden. It was all set to arrive well before I left the country - and then USPS happened. Briefly, through a confluence of incompetences, it was lost; when I took my delivery slip to the post office, the matter-of-fact ladies told me it was nowhere to be found (this was after I’d driven there a second time - the first time, the truck was “running late”) - they thought maybe it could be because there was a “substitute mailman” (the mind boggles) who had done…something…on the delivery date; the substitute mailman either didn’t remember - or, more likely - had no idea what anyone was talking about. At any rate, the jacket didn’t make it to Sweden, and I consider it very lucky that it showed up four or five days later as though nothing had happened. My girlfriend opened the package while I was away, and I could almost hear her nose turning up when she texted me that it “smells like leather.” It does. Very strongly.
Anyway, I’ve finally gotten a chance to come back and play dress-up for a while, and I think that most people are going to appreciate the changes that have already been suggested. Even on my 6’1, gibbon-armed frame, the sleeves are a touch long - they would be perfect if I owned a motorcycle, although as my only engagement with people on motorcycles is getting frustrated when old people on Goldwings drive really slowly in the left lane, some shortening would be good. Same goes for the revised shoulder measurements - a 19.5” shoulder is generally what I look for in things that fit me, and the measurement is definitely “right” for my body. But the excess material in the shoulder gives the jacket a boxier shape, and also has the effect of creating a large armhole - not a bad thing at all, but, as Fuuma has already pointed out, this is a fashion jacket for people who are going to be sitting around in it drinking overpriced coffee. Right now it looks very much like a biker jacket.
Okay, other stuff to note: The leather (z150) is serious business. I have no desire to go up in weight. It’s stiff, it’s thick, and I desperately want to see what it looks like in a year or two (I mean, we’ve seen, but, like, I want to see). The construction reflects that: the seams are thick, the zippers are heavy, and I would be interested in shaking the hand of the sewing machine responsible for the work. If you are looking for supple, baby’s-bottom lamb leather, look elsewhere, because Wilson’s leather this is not. It is excellent. I love the way you can grab it and squeeze it and sort of mold it into place the way you like. Really, really cool. So is the bicep pocket, and so is my favorite detail, which is the angled interior pocket on the left side (there’s a standard pocket on the inside right). I like pockets. A lot.
Overall, the jacket, as it stands, is cool in the way that the Terminator is cool, or that power metal is cool (it is). It’s going to be even cooler. Did I mention how great the leather is? Can you imagine how it’s going to cord around you elbows and crease at the places where you tug the collar up at night? How the leather at the cuffs will dull from years and years of use? Picture it now: custom fit, custom patch, custom liner - we’re going to be like the kids in “Stress” before Justice got, like, totally irrelevant. No - cooler than that. Or maybe high-octane living isn’t your style. Maybe you’ll own it for forty years and walk down the same street to the cafe every morning; you’ll pull a well-worn scarf around your neck when it’s cold, and the only battle you’ll do is with the paper and a cappuccino. Regardless of what sort of scraps you think you might find yourself in, this is going to be a jacket that’ll have your back for a very long time. I can’t wait to see the final product.I took lots and lots (and lots) of pictures, and have included a similar number of photos below:
I also gave it the Shiba Test (the most important test):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The other one was not impressed (she is never impressed) with my endless preening, and chose to sleep on her favorite toy instead:
Great writeup. I really like the way it looked on you as is. But do agree there is extra leather in shoulders.post #1213 of 19988/26/14 at 12:17pmpost #1214 of 19988/26/14 at 12:23pmThread StarterQuote:
The arms will appear a lot slimmer one they are shortened. That's a pretty common illusion when the arms are overly long and the shoulders a bit big. Also, slimming the arms any more will 1) throw off the balance, and 2) If you wear a knit underneath, and the arms are anyt slimmer, then will be blood pressure test tight, and 3)@Synthese may be, as Thurston already commented, either in a size larger than he needs, or between sizes.
Please keep all of that in mind.Return Home
- Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO
Styles mentioned in this thread:
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 43 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › End of Bills Khakis 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 5 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › Two great F/W wool ties: Drake's and Breuer 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?