• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music for altered states.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some music is particularly appealing, or even only appreciable, when listening to it in some sort of altered mental state. For the sake of discretion let us leave aside the how/why/legality of the way the altered state was derived.

Some of my favorites:

Air-Surfing On A Rocket
It's an incredible, baroque space wonderland. The song actually induces something similar to the titular activity.

TV on the Radio-Staring At The Sun
The whole song has a certain sense of inescapability, or inevitability. The beat just rolls forward, unstoppable, and sucks you in in the process

ATB-Don't Stop
Makes your world into the most pleasant game of Mario Kart ever

Those are all I can come up with off the top of my head. I'll look at my mp3 player and post some more later. Please share your favorites.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to hell.
200px-Brainticket.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Some music is particularly appealing, or even only appreciable, when listening to it in some sort of altered mental state. For the sake of discretion let us leave aside the how/why/legality of the way the altered state was derived. Some of my favorites: Air-Surfing On A Rocket It's an incredible, baroque space wonderland. The song actually induces something similar to the titular activity. TV on the Radio-Staring At The Sun The whole song has a certain sense of inescapability, or inevitability. The beat just rolls forward, unstoppable, and sucks you in in the process ATB-Don't Stop Makes your world into the most pleasant game of Mario Kart ever Those are all I can come up with off the top of my head. I'll look at my mp3 player and post some more later. Please share your favorites.
Get the Diplo remix of 'Staring at the Sun' which drops in the beat from Afrika Bambaataa 'Planet Rock' as well as a verse from a Dead Prez song. It is extremely hard to find, but i could send it to you if you are interested in that sort of thing. 'Eliot Lipp - Linc' is also unreal. Boards of Canada - In a Beautiful Place Out In The Country The double-disc album "The K&D Sessions" from Kruder & Dorfmeister is an awesome chill/lounge album. Mixes and mashups are also good to listen to. Old-school hiphop - N2Deep, Tone-Loc, Young MC, Run DMC, Rakim, Doug E. Fresh, Kurtis Blow, Whistle, Grand Master Flash, DJ Quik, etc. Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Brother Ali, Talib Kweli, Hieroglyphics, Roots, Beatnuts, Cee-Lo etc. Of course you gotta keep it hood and bang some of those harder beats, too. 3-6, Project Pat - good smoking songs. Can't forget about Lil Weezy, Biggie, Rick Ross, Jeezy, Gucci Mane, etc. Southern Smoke mixtapes.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the newer Air albums suck - Surfing on a Rocket and Pocket Symphony - compared to the old ones. Get Premiers Symptomes, Moon Safari, 10,000 Hz Legend, and the Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Also the newer Air albums suck - Surfing on a Rocket and Pocket Symphony - compared to the old ones. Get Premiers Symptomes, Moon Safari, 10,000 Hz Legend, and the Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

I've listened to Moon Safari and the Virgin Suicides album. Both very good.

One newish group that's trip as **** is CocoRosie. I don't really know what to call them, maybe latter-day psych-folk with a triphop aesthetic and concept-album-ish lyrics? The only album I have of theirs is The Adventures on Ghosthorse and Stillborn, off of which "Japan" and "Rainbowarriors" are spectacular.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Boards of Canada release, particularly "Music Has the Right to Children."

Aphex Twin.

Autechre.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've listened to Moon Safari and the Virgin Suicides album. Both very good.

One newish group that's trip as **** is CocoRosie. I don't really know what to call them, maybe latter-day psych-folk with a triphop aesthetic and concept-album-ish lyrics? The only album I have of theirs is The Adventures on Ghosthorse and Stillborn, off of which "Japan" and "Rainbowarriors" are spectacular.

CocoRosie is very good. Get the first album 'La Maison de Mon Reve'.

You'd probably like the artists 'The Books' and 'Fiery Furnaces' as well, if you haven't already listened to the.

Also, Animal Collective, in a similar vein. The song Winter's Love is phenomenal.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are reminding me about a lot of stuff I've listened to but never downloaded. You see, I have Rhapsody, which is awesome because I can listen to entire albums without paying extra. However, I often forget to go back and download the stuff I like.

Aphex Twin is incredible, but you have to be up for it.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Orb circa the Ultraworld album.

-Jeff

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clubbed To Death - Kurayamino Variation

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sake of discretion let us leave aside the how/why/

Discussing music for altered states without a distinction between the how and why? Are we now lumping all the tweakers and stoners together?

It's probably too Old Skool Columbian Gold for this crowd but besides being a great album, the movie reveals the meaning of life if you put the right mushrooms on your pizza.

pink.jpg

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Any Boards of Canada release, particularly "Music Has the Right to Children."
Haha, was just about to suggest... Board of Canada is the hippie music of today.

I tripped out a bit on pain meds and Broken Social Scene's "You Forgot it in People" when I got my wisdom teeth out.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
Discussing music for altered states without a distinction between the how and why? Are we now lumping all the tweakers and stoners together?

It seems to me the distinction would be fairly self-evident.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drone, Sludge, Nu-Gaze or Folk Metal: Boris, Earth, Jesu, Sunn, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc. Ambient or Lush Techno: Aphex Twin (SAW in particular), Boards of Canada, The Field, etc. Ambient, Minimalist Electonic: Keith Fullerton Whitman, Stars of the Lid, Tim Hecker, etc. Shoegaze: A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Deerhunter, MBV, etc. Sun-kissed pop/Animal pop/weird ****: Animal Collective, The Books, Lightning Bolt, Pet Sounds Tellingly enough, this is pretty much all I listen to now, or music that is derivative of it.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads