• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

eric glennie

Reaction score
Good Morning Gentlemen ! I am a new fashion designer in the business and i am doing some market research to see what the menswear community thinks about new collar styles. I U.S. patented these collars many years ago and i would like to know if men are willing to wear unique dress shirts collars. Please view my website www.ericglennie. com to view some unique collar designs perhaps you may have never seen before. I shaped dress shirt collars around the necktie knot to show the neckline with a cleaner style by placing the collar points behind the necktie. Thanks gentlemen for your time and hope you enjoy my art. Please let me know what you think or dont think about a new collar style for menswear. Thanks again Eric Glennie. 952-913-8708

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate what you're attempting, though I find your collars unattractive. I think it has something to do with the lack of openness in the design, everything looks too sealed and uniform, or maybe that the people I've seen wearing similar collars (I think the Canadian sports announcer with a penchant for garishness and Karl Lagerfield come to mind) aren't really my aesthetic role models.

Also, I prefer a tie clip to a hidden loop.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, maybe Im too much of a trad to appreciate that, but it just looks wrong to me. I don't like how the collar points disappear under the tie, and how long they are in general. Looks "uptight", or else vaguely "Matrix-ish", and I don't think it would flatter many face shapes.

EDIT: I just realized there are other ones on the site. I'm gonna be perfectly blunt- the ones which cover up the knot on the tie made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. Somehow I'm reminded of genital mutilation when i see those. The third style didnt bother me as much.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It creates a bit of an odd zig zag shape and really forces the tie out from the shirt. The second design where it hides the knot completely I don't really like. If I spent time to make my perfect knot I want to show it to the world
biggrin.gif
I know a lot of people here are more fans of the opposite with the spread collars. Your link is wrong also btw. You forgot the .com

eric glennie

Reaction score
thank you for your response image WIS. I have shown my designs to many people over the years. NFL and NBA players, movie studios, celebrities, fashion designers, manufacturers, fashion stylists, fashion editors, newspaper editors, custom shirtmakers, and tv personalities. My collars have been seen on John Travolta in the movie "swordfish" and on ESPN anaysts and NBA superstars. I have patents on the cutaway and cutout collar designs and my records date back to 1993. I believe i am the first person in the world to shape collars around the necktie. Just wanted to let the forum know where these designs came and they were invented in my basement. thanks eric glennie.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
thank you for your response image WIS. I have shown my designs to many people over the years. NFL and NBA players, movie studios, celebrities, fashion designers, manufacturers, fashion stylists, fashion editors, newspaper editors, custom shirtmakers, and tv personalities. My collars have been seen on John Travolta in the movie "swordfish" and on ESPN anaysts and NBA superstars. I have patents on the cutaway and cutout collar designs and my records date back to 1993. I believe i am the first person in the world to shape collars around the necktie. Just wanted to let the forum know where these designs came and they were invented in my basement. thanks eric glennie.
I don't think "cut-away" means what you think it means.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How successful is this particular collar?

600_Shirts1102_008.jpg

G79

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Somehow I'm reminded of genital mutilation when i see those.

Strangle it does ! No offense though to u Eric, keep up with the creativity and the kinds, but i pref the traditional designs

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^That collar is incredibly ugly! As are, I'm sorry to say, your other original designs.

eric glennie

Reaction score
thanks visionology! i believe art is about shaking up the establishment. picasso's art ( cubism) was chastised before it was revered. howabout bringing art back into menswear fashion. it seems everyone is wearing clothes for the label and turning away from the art. if you line up 50 dress shirts, take off the logo and label, and ask any expert to pick out the designer they would fail. the expert can pick out an eric glennie signature design, whether the general public accepts this style is to be determined. i want to introduce a new collar style and a paradigm shift from generation of necklines. the focal point of my neckline is the collar rather than the necktie and knot. i want to let the forum know there is a different point of view in mens fashion. i have more ideas for mens and womenswear so i hope the general public has an open mind . thanks eric.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you line up 50 dress shirts, take off the logo and label, and ask any expert to pick out the designer they would fail.

again, and I don't mean to be a jerk, you have no idea what youa re talking about.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a paradigm shift from generation of necklines
I like that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads