or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dressing like you sell clothes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dressing like you sell clothes - Page 2

post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

I totally get what you're saying and am looking forward to the discussion - but I wouldn't have guessed that this is what was meant by "dressing like you sell clothes". I don't follow WAYWRN or a number of similar threads so maybe I missed a reference in there or something.

I don't look at that thread either and don't know the inference but the definition here may resonate in a different way to whoever reads this. The look I am thinking of is dressing becoming a cliche.
post #17 of 46

There are people who sell clothes who are well dressed, like JefferyD.  I think what Dopey is saying is not to dress in a way that is over elaborate, the equivalent of oversaucing and overspicing a dish.  It's fine to wear a pocket square, colorful socks, an unusual shade of shoes, a richly patterned suit, and a tie bar, but not all at the same time.  The idea is not to get rid of spice but to be balanced in using it.  Spice is nice but not as a main dish.

 

Vogue had a good article on this in 1934 from an Anderson & Sheppard customer.

 

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

[IMG]



For instance, today I'm wearing navy blazer, light blue shirt, navy pin dot tie up top with patterned flannels and suede bit loafers on the bottom. This is not a conservative look, for sure, but does it make me look like a clothing salesman?

Where did you get these ties, what brand are they? I am looking for similar dot ties and cannot find them anywhere.
post #19 of 46
But everyone here does sell clothes ...
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

But everyone here does sell clothes ...

This thread is like when the madame tells her charges to stop dressing like such whores.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

But everyone here does sell clothes ...

 

But is everyone here a professional #menswear blogger?

post #22 of 46
Selling clothes and knowing about clothes are very different things. I got what you mean with this thread but the point is that those sellers you're speaking about are copying from someone else, so those sellers are consumers as their clients are
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSox View Post

There are people who sell clothes who are well dressed, like JefferyD.  I think what Dopey is saying is not to dress in a way that is over elaborate, the equivalent of oversaucing and overspicing a dish.  It's fine to wear a pocket square, colorful socks, an unusual shade of shoes, a richly patterned suit, and a tie bar, but not all at the same time.  The idea is not to get rid of spice but to be balanced in using it.  Spice is nice but not as a main dish.

Vogue had a good article on this in 1934 from an Anderson & Sheppard customer.



I know this is the prevailing view, but I think in practice it's not right, at least much of the time. I feel like I've been over this before in other threads, but to rehash...if this is so, then isn't a tuxedo a perfect time to wear bright red socks, or a bright red pocket square? The answer is no because 1) those things shouldn't exist period 2) the fact that everything else is so sedate makes the wacky thing stand out more, not less. If you have strong spice in a dish, you don't mitigate by making everything else bland. You balance it with other flavors that are just as strong.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlord View Post

Where did you get these ties, what brand are they? I am looking for similar dot ties and cannot find them anywhere.

This one specifically is Ike Behar that I purchased from a local discount retailer. I'm surprised you're having problems one. Try Sam Hober for a nice one, TieBar for a cheap version.
post #25 of 46

Is the OP actually going to expand on the subject? Otherwise this starts to feel less like an attempt at constructive discussion and more like an submission for 'passive-aggressive notes'...

post #26 of 46

What happens if you actually sell clothes? I'm thinking of southernstyle. The way he dresses fits some of the earlier descriptions, basically overloading on idiosyncrasy.

post #27 of 46
#menswear
#clothessalesman
#tacky
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

But is everyone here a professional #menswear blogger?

Define professional.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post


Define professional.

 

Those who are involved in the trade of retailing (ASM, Armoury, C&D), journalism (PS, PTO), and amateur journalists that receive incentives in (exchange) for written reviews.

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


I know this is the prevailing view, but I think in practice it's not right, at least much of the time. I feel like I've been over this before in other threads, but to rehash...if this is so, then isn't a tuxedo a perfect time to wear bright red socks, or a bright red pocket square? The answer is no because 1) those things shouldn't exist period 2) the fact that everything else is so sedate makes the wacky thing stand out more, not less. If you have strong spice in a dish, you don't mitigate by making everything else bland. You balance it with other flavors that are just as strong.

 

I think the Vogue author would take answer 1), as would I.  A bright red pocket square would stand out too much, instead of "blending in with the general color scheme," unless one is wearing a Santa suit.

 

The guideline of not overdoing or piling on embellishments is one condition of dressing well, but not the only condition.  The clothes also have to fit and be coherent on the city/country spectrum (a problem with the bright red pocket square with formal black tie).  Similarly, not being overspiced is necessary to good cooking, but not sufficient on its own (the food also has to be fresh, not overcooked).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dressing like you sell clothes