or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Another what should I wear thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another what should I wear thread

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hey guys! A few months ago I was on here asking for suggestions about what I should wear to my girlfriend's sorority formal.  Well there's another one coming up and I'm looking for advice on the matter again.  Last time I wore my navy blue suit with a white shirt, black tie, black shoes, and a black belt.  I was looking to wear my navy suit again this time but was wondering how a light blue shirt with a purple tie, brown shoes, and a brown belt might work for an event like this.  Thanks again!

post #2 of 13
Purple tries are tricky against anything other than a lilac/lavender shirt, and even then still. Purple can be garish and flashy unless a subdued shade, and in my opinion works better in small doses - as an accent in a tie, or in a shirt, and in less saturated forms (again, lilac/lavender). Plus, although I wear navy ties with lilac and lavender all the time, I've never thought that true purple and navy look good together - despite seeing this combination fairly often. It's just never looked right to me and I avoid it, opting to use true purples with mid-light grey in seasonally appropriate hues.
 
Light blue shirt opens up brown ties, dark green, burgundy (although burgundy is best against a pink shirt), and of course blue and navy ties. If navy, make sure it's darker in shade than the suit in order not to clash. If I'm not wearing a navy tie (which I am most of the time) and I'm wearing a light blue shirt, my first instinct is to reach for a nice solid chocolate brown. Navy suit + blue shirt + brown shoes and belt + brown tie = congruent, refined and pleasing to the eye. My $.02.
post #3 of 13
In the dim lighting of an evening event, the subtle differences between blue and purple and navy and brown will be completely lost due to lack of contrast. At night, black shoes and belt is always the right answer. At night, a white shirt is always the right answer.

Your proposed outfit (brown shoes, blue shirt) would look great in the daytime when the sunlight makes the colour variations apparent.
post #4 of 13
Very good points Veremund, didn't consider the context. I usually opt for burgundy shoes at night rather than black, but that's just me. White shirt is spot on.
post #5 of 13
You really should be able to dress yourself - suggest that you get some ideas by looking around at others, see what you like etc.
post #6 of 13
The whole point of SF is to learn about style. Your incessant need to act like a prick is truly admirable. Carry on.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

In the dim lighting of an evening event, the subtle differences between blue and purple and navy and brown will be completely lost due to lack of contrast. At night, black shoes and belt is always the right answer. At night, a white shirt is always the right answer.

Your proposed outfit (brown shoes, blue shirt) would look great in the daytime when the sunlight makes the colour variations apparent.

Ok, white shirt it is. Should I just go with a navy tie darker than the suit? Thanks so much!
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsxscoob View Post

Ok, white shirt it is. Should I just go with a navy tie darker than the suit? Thanks so much!

This is a look I love and is my go-to for formal events. White shirt, white square, navy tie darker than suit (usually solid in my case). Can't get much more sedate yet sophisticated, elegant and professional, in my opinion. 

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

The whole point of SF is to learn about style. Your incessant need to act like a prick is truly admirable. Carry on.

BUT you can learn far more from looking at what works in the street, this web board cannot be a running tutorial for everyone who is not observant. However did people learn prior to the web, you will next tell me that standards have risen generally because of SF. Get real

All you learn here is the opinions of a few: For example there is a comment about purple in post2, I profoundly disagree. Purple can work well against p[ink shirts, blue shirts and others, I would consider it neither "Garish" nor "flashy". The OP needs to see that to form his own opinion.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Purple can work well against pink shirts, blue shirts and others, I would consider it neither "Garish" nor "flashy". The OP needs to see that to form his own opinion.

I absolutely agree with you.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
All you learn here is the opinions of a few: For example there is a comment about purple in post2, I profoundly disagree. Purple can work well against p[ink shirts, blue shirts and others, I would consider it neither "Garish" nor "flashy". The OP needs to see that to form his own opinion.

 

I considered that it was the expression of a personal opinion somewhat obvious. To each his own. I believe I added "my two cents."

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

This is what I had in mind for the blue/purple.  Lighting in my house is terrible and I'm sure that it doesn't help my case.  Just wanted to share.

 

post #13 of 13
The point is that lighting is terrible at night too. That's exactly why this low-contrast outfit is much better for day than night.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Another what should I wear thread