Besides visually, how does your horsehide differ from Horween's?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAero Leather Clothingtagged by Thurston Bros, 4/8/14
- itemAero Leather Clothing Flight Jackettagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- brandAero Leather Jackettagged by Thurston Bros, 4/8/14
- itemCafe Racer Leather Jackettagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- brandHorweentagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- itemHorween Leathertagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- categoryJacketstagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- itemLeather Jackettagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- itemMotorcycle Jackettagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
- brandVansontagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14More
- itemVanson Cafe Racertagged by Thurston Bros, 4/12/14
Related Forum Threads
- Leather Jacket Help: Langlitz vs Lost Worlds vs Lewis Last post on 7/23/15 at 6:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 11:42am in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO Last post on 8/21/15 at 4:40pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Insurrection / Thurston Bros., Aero Leather Jackets North America - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 19
Styleforum Top Picks
Lots of info. on full grain, veg.-tanned hides here:
I have four samples of Insurrection's new Italian, full grain, veg tanned horsehide sitting on my desk. I also have samples of Aero’s Horween front quarter Chromexcel, front quarter tumbled Chromexcel and Jerky horsehides, and a “soft black steerhide.” The new Italian HH is considerably more pliable than the standard Chromexcel, more pliable than the tumbled, and some where in between the Jerky and the “soft” steerhide (closer to the Jerky -- the steerhide is entirely different).
The new Italian HH has much more grain than the standard Chromexcel, but much less than the steerhide -- slightly more grain than the Jerky, although this may depend on particular samples.
Are women's jackets typically too small to be fashioned out of the Vanson comp weight or the FQHH type leathers? I would love to have a jacket that breaks in like that Vanson Enfield pictured, but the only women's moto style jacket I see on the website is the PCL women's racer. While the jacket looks nice, the description seems to be more about the styling than the leather. Would a Vanson model B delux be too stiff for a small jacket? Would the Vanson SF collab moto work for a women's size?
Women's jackets from Vanson and Aero look and feel great in the heavier leathers...there are a number of styles from both manufacturers that work well for women and can be specified in whatever leather you desire!
Here are three Aero styles that can be done in the heavier FQHH...
Aero Women's Highwayman shown in mid-weight European steerhide:
Aero Women's A1 shown in mid-weight Seal Brown "Jerky" FQHH:
Aero Women's Cafe' Racer shown in mid-weight European steerhide:
For Vanson, the Women's Model B can be done in Comp. Weight. Also, Vanson recently came out with their own version of our women's cafe' racer (both come from a 1960s women's cafe' racer jacket from our collection), so it can be done in any of Vanson's leathers! Our favorite leather for this style is the Z150...it has an excellent amount of grain that comes through in the break-in, but it's a bit more pliable and slightly thinner that the Comp.Weight leather.
Here's the Vanson "Villainess" shown in white cowhide (we style this jacket much tighter...the model is wearing it with full armor, so it's not shown as slim as the style actually is):
Regarding the Vanson/Thurston/SF model, when we get the measurements from the patterning, we'll share those and you can see if they will work for you...we've seen that a number of men's styles can be easily adapted to fit women!
It is one of three colors from Vanson (they have many different browns, but this one has a distinct reddish-purple undertone): Wine (brown-burgundy), Walnut (dark brown with a touch of ruddy undertone) or Dark Brown (very dark brown). Brown is probably one of the most difficult colors to represent in photos, so I can't say with absolutely certainty which one it is...
Here's a custom Aero Fontana Cafe' Racer in black CXL steerhide that is shipping off to Canada today!
The Model B Deluxe is a customized version of Vanson's standard Model B...it has a longer body, longer arms, no side buckles, a double-ended front zipper, and nickel hardware. These custom changes allow customers to size down in this style for a tighter fit, without sacrificing body and arm length! We have a full size run of these jackets in stock, so give us a call at (206) 550-3545 to place your order...
Vanson Model B Deluxe:
The Aero Sheene is a jacket style that has the slim fit of a cafe' racer but with the casual styling of collared men's jacket. This Sheene was made with CXL horsehide and a Minto Check Tweed liner! Call us at (206)550-3545 to get started with a fit jacket for your custom Sheene order...
- Insurrection / Thurston Bros., Aero Leather Jackets North America - Official Affiliate Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 21 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 22 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 23 minutes ago
- › Panta: a first peek at a new high quality pants line 26 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 28 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015