Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sales Alert thread - Page 3093

post #46381 of 51580

CSC was a money grab.  Couple of attys who thought they'd have more fun separating SoHo guys from their money.  Seemed like an unserious endeavor from the start--a "how hard can it be?" type of thing from guys who didn't know how much they didn't know.  And it showed.  Indifferent (or worse) customer service and uninspired buys. 

 

I know, Sales Thread.  But it feels good to pile on.  Good riddance.

post #46382 of 51580
I can't imagine menswear retail ever being a "money grab" unless you are somehow getting free rent in a prime location.
post #46383 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

CSC was a money grab.  Couple of attys who thought they'd have more fun separating SoHo guys from their money.  Seemed like an unserious endeavor from the start--a "how hard can it be?" type of thing from guys who didn't know how much they didn't know.  And it showed.  Indifferent (or worse) customer service and uninspired buys. 

I know, Sales Thread.  But it feels good to pile on.  Good riddance.

I believe Haberdash was some attorneys who didn't want to practice any more either.
post #46384 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
 

CSC was a money grab.  Couple of attys who thought they'd have more fun separating SoHo guys from their money.  Seemed like an unserious endeavor from the start--a "how hard can it be?" type of thing from guys who didn't know how much they didn't know.  And it showed.  Indifferent (or worse) customer service and uninspired buys. 

 

I know, Sales Thread.  But it feels good to pile on.  Good riddance.

 

Did they screw you over somehow? I don't really understand being happy that someone's business closed.

post #46385 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

You mean 80% off sale customers who return half of their orders aren't good for business? puzzled.gif

I like a lotta your posts man, but you've been on that annoying rich guy train hard lately (not that the people you're criticizing aren't on their own annoying cheap rich guy train)
post #46386 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spehsmonkey View Post

I like a lotta your posts man, but you've been on that annoying rich guy train hard lately (not that the people you're criticizing aren't on their own annoying cheap rich guy train)

I'm neither rich nor poor and I geek out on 80%-off, free shipping and free returns as much as the next guy. But I agree that it's not a supportable model unless you have the capital of, say, Yoox.
post #46387 of 51580
It's the cycle of "how come we don't have more cool stockists?? how come all the buys are boring??" followed by "when can I have it for 80% off" then followed by "OMG WHY IS XYZ STORE CLOSING"

I'm not "rich" much less CM rich, but I understand that sometimes you just gotta pay retail if you want what you want in your size. If I miss out on something because I wasn't willing to pay for it, I don't freak out. If something I buy goes on sale a bit later, it doesn't make me less happy with what I bought.

Greg and whole bunch of other stockists have discussed why cultivating a core repeat customer base >>>>>>>>>>>> the race to the bottom for sales. On a semi-related note, it reminds me of all the whining SW&D people did about the B&S forums... I can't imagine it's does 10% of the volume and $ that the CM side does.
post #46388 of 51580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

...sometimes you just gotta pay retail if you want what you want in your size. If I miss out on something because I wasn't willing to pay for it, I don't freak out. If something I buy goes on sale a bit later, it doesn't make me less happy with what I bought.

This is exactly the right attitude to have.  Yes, you are going to priced out of some things unless you are fabulously rich.  It's going to happen to you at some point.  The point is to enjoy the things you get, not to only enjoy them only because you got an awesome deal.  Chasing the deal can be fun, but if that is the primary part of your enjoyment, you might be missing out on something.

post #46389 of 51580
Well, this is the sale thread, not the business owner thread

There aren't too many items that never go on sale. There are even fewer items that are "must have." Unless you have a lot of money, I'm not sure what item would be considered a must have if it costs more than you feel comfortable spending. I don't see why people hate on others for waiting for sales. There's more complaining about the sale hunters than from sale hunters mad about missing out on something.

The begging for sales or codes is annoying, but not *because* they want sales
post #46390 of 51580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regg View Post

Well, this is the sale thread, not the business owner thread

There aren't too many items that never go on sale. There are even fewer items that are "must have." Unless you have a lot of money, I'm not sure what item would be considered a must have if it costs more than you feel comfortable spending. I don't see why people hate on others for waiting for sales. There's more complaining about the sale hunters than from sale hunters mad about missing out on something.

The begging for sales or codes is annoying, but not *because* they want sales

I do sometimes get a sense that some people feel that they are entitled to a big sale, and entitlement is always annoying.  

 

I would guess that that is where the source of annoyance comes in.  

 

Personally, I would much rather see people asking if some cool, obscure item, is on sale somewhere.  That would be interesting.  I could probably live without reading another post asking where there might be a good deal on Common Projects white Achilles low. 

post #46391 of 51580

Personal recent sale anecdote:

 

There's an item (pink, long "shirt coat") from Our Legacy that I've been waiting to go on sale. There's a good brick and mortar store in Chicago that must've been late on their Our Legacy buy/delivery this year since they just got it in stock last week, but it's $100 cheaper if I order it from the Tres-Bien sale... so I did. I definitely feel conflicted, since I try to support local businesses and I'll pay retail at them for items I really like, but in a situation like this the deal won out.

 

Just my $0.02.

post #46392 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWhitaker View Post
 

Personal recent sale anecdote:

 

There's an item (pink, long "shirt coat") from Our Legacy that I've been waiting to go on sale. There's a good brick and mortar store in Chicago that must've been late on their Our Legacy buy/delivery this year since they just got it in stock last week, but it's $100 cheaper if I order it from the Tres-Bien sale... so I did. I definitely feel conflicted, since I try to support local businesses and I'll pay retail at them for items I really like, but in a situation like this the deal won out.

 

Just my $0.02.

 

Bit off topic but Chicago sales tax is insanely high at 10.25%.  

post #46393 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
 

 

Did they screw you over somehow? I don't really understand being happy that someone's business closed.


Oh of course I'm not happy someone went under.  Tongue in cheek--I wasn't actually "piling on," just explaining why I wasn't surprised.  But to answer, yeah I had issues both in-store and online.  As Fok said, you could tell from their old affiliate thread that they didn't quite get it re: customer relations.

post #46394 of 51580

Just buy it from the brick and mortar store and file a price protection thing with your CC.

post #46395 of 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchau View Post
 

 

Bit off topic but Chicago sales tax is insanely high at 10.25%.  

That definitely plays a part for me as well. When local places have 10-20% off it's essentially just bringing it down to the price of other, non-Chicago locations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread