or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sales Alert thread - Page 3032

post #45466 of 50692
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorishconsumer View Post

Quash the hate. Clothes is clothes.

That's true.  But spamming your new site is against the rules.  I don't mind if bloggers have a line in their sig, but putting in a single throwaway line in order to then promote your blog is pretty lame.

 

It's not like he is genuinely trying to contribute to the community, here.  It's pretty transparent.

post #45467 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

I thnk that what we have here is a failure to communicate.  There is a very strong culture of thrift and frugality combined with a culture of hyper consumerism in the US which has led us to a breed of very aggressive sports shoppers.  For them, it's a game, and 60% is just the startng line.  I did this when I was younger, but frankly, don't have tme or space to do it anymore.  Lookng at the past few month's purchases, about 1/2 were at retail or a little below (20-30% off flash sales), and the rest were predominantly things I wanted anyway, but was priced out of at retail.

 

The concept, for sports shoppers, is very dfferent.  They are typcally not lookng for specfic things, and hoping for them to be at an acceptable price, but looking for the bargan, the thing itself beng attractive to them and at a reasonable prce being a necessary but not suffcient criterion for purchase.  The existence of ths culture is not, in and of itself, toxic to retail, but it can become so if it become the dominant form of customer.  

 

So, when a sports shopper says that a sale was "meh", it doesn't mean that it's a bad sale.  It means that the sale was not as excitng to that shopper.  That's not really something that can be argued against, nor is it worth an argument.  We just have to acknowledge that different customers are motivated differently.  

Personally, because I have a very strong connection to the physical goods I own, I won't even buy anything, even somethng I really like, from a store that is going out of busness.  It just seems like bad karma.  However, I'm not going to impose my idiosyncratic value on others.  I think that the issue here is that value judgements are being passed that simply do not need to be passed.

 

I agree (with personal caveats being I can't afford the companies I love, so its this or nothing).

But the important point stores should understand is writing "Older seasons items at crazy discounts. Priced to have everything go." (exact quote from NMWA) will bring the sports shopper, that might be disapointed between the difference between the promo and actual sale. 

post #45468 of 50692
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

...calling us false advertisers is not only an incorrect statement but also a bit of a dick comment.

I'd agree with this as well.  I mean, for @MrPorterBot, the sale seemed underwhelming.  That's a subjective opinion, and one to which he is entitled.  

 

Saying that somethng is false advertisng is a bit over the line.  And yes, people are going to be more defensive about Greg's store because Greg has been a member of the communty long before he was a store owner.  At the end of the day, this is stlll a community.

post #45469 of 50692
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterBot View Post

 

I agree (with personal caveats being I can't afford the companies I love, so its this or nothing).

But the important point stores should understand is writing "Older seasons items at crazy discounts. Priced to have everything go." (exact quote from NMWA) will bring the sports shopper, that might be disapointed between the difference between the promo and actual sale. 

So you are objecting to his copy.   Again, that's fine.  But there's nothing dishonest or misleading about that statement.  It's like being really disappointed that the "best burger in the world" was not as great as you'd imagine it would be.  Some promos are silly stupid (up to 80% OFF!!!!! (but mostly, 20% off)), but even that doesn't seem to be the case here.

post #45470 of 50692
Thread Starter 

And, sure to disappoint some:

 

www.luisaviaroma.com

 

Use code:   SAVES    at checkout 

 

to receive 10% off orders over $300, 15% off orders over $500, 20% off orders over $1000
and 30% off orders over $2000. 
Valid on full price items until 19 May 2016, 23:59 GMT+2. 

 

Excludes FINE JEWELRY and items labeled NEW FALL/WINTER 2016, PERMANENT and ESSENTIAL. 
This code cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions or discounts.

post #45471 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

So you are objecting to his copy.   Again, that's fine.  But there's nothing dishonest or misleading about that statement.  It's like being really disappointed that the "best burger in the world" was not as great as you'd imagine it would be.  Some promos are silly stupid (up to 80% OFF!!!!! (but mostly, 20% off)), but even that doesn't seem to be the case here.

 

This whole conversation was started by a forum member asking how the sale actually is, after seeing it IRL.

 

Just like members here would complain about the 80% vs. 20% difference, I think saying extra 10%-20% off already existing non-selling prices doesn't fit in the "crazy discounts" category, and thats fine because they're so good they don't need crazy discounts.

post #45472 of 50692
People are just looking for something special.
post #45473 of 50692
post #45474 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterBot View Post

This whole conversation was started by a forum member asking how the sale actually is, after seeing it IRL.

Just like members here would complain about the 80% vs. 20% difference, I think saying extra 10%-20% off already existing non-selling prices doesn't fit in the "crazy discounts" category, and thats fine because they're so good they don't need crazy discounts.

People are picking on you because you speak with authority and have a 32 post count, 10 of which are on this topic. You are fair game.
post #45475 of 50692

So anyhow...  tomorrow is the second and final day of our private sale.  Remaining merchandise will be marked down further.   11-5pm

post #45476 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by long_knives View Post


People are picking on you because you speak with authority and have a 32 post count, 10 of which are on this topic. You are fair game.

Thats fine. I will continue my hobby of 4-5 Sales a week, without fear of speaking my opinion.

If anyone wants to hang out at the CDG line next week i'll be arriving at 5am

post #45477 of 50692
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterBot View Post
 

Thats fine. I will continue my hobby of 4-5 Sales a week, without fear of speaking my opinion.

If anyone wants to hang out at the CDG line next week i'll be arriving at 5am

That's a lot of sales...

post #45478 of 50692
I think I'll just pay retail instead.
post #45479 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterBot View Post

I myself purchased a Loro Piana Storm System Made In Italy 100% Cashmere down jacket for $350 down from $4000. At a "mass market sample sale" 2 months ago. And a few other SF guys did as well at the same sale
By the way, which sample sale was this?
post #45480 of 50692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterBot View Post

Thats fine. I will continue my hobby of 4-5 Sales a week, without fear of speaking my opinion.
If anyone wants to hang out at the CDG line next week i'll be arriving at 5am

You need a new hobby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread