or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sales Alert thread - Page 2934

post #43996 of 49337

Based on my experience... My order from End was marked as the order price. My order from Oki-Ni, however, was marked at full retail and resulted in me being charged a 20% customs fee on that full retail.

post #43997 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post


That is incorrect. I've ordered from them many times in the past year, and they mark your order total as declared value, and you pay obnoxious customs fees if that total is over $200. The fee is in my experience from ups always around 10%.

Ah I see. From what I read many people complain about the custom fees from END more than any other EU sites. But I guess there is always a risk with EU sites, I usually try to keep it under $200 to be safe.

post #43998 of 49337
You do realise that the custom fees are nothing to do with End.

It's very easy to work out what you might get hit with before you purchase:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/
post #43999 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

You do realise that the custom fees are nothing to do with End.

It's very easy to work out what you might get hit with before you purchase:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Yes I am fully aware. But you cannot say the seller do not factor into it. There are places that overvalue and places that undervalue your order. They report the total and the fees are also depended on the carrier, hence the risk factor.

post #44000 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilchasRuin View Post

Why, Unionmade, why?    Why would you cancel my order made with a US credit card and shipped to that card's (US) billing address, merely b/c the address happens to be a mail forwarding service?   Some of us do live/work overseas, fucktards.

*grumbling b/c they had a nice pair of boots I wanted on their 40% off sale*

(Sorry guys, carry on).

100% of our fraudulent and ID theft orders in the last year were made using valid (likely stolen) credit card numbers and forwarding addresses. We lost thousands of dollars as the cc company always charges us back and there's nothing we can do. So we're also very cautious about those orders. Remember that whenever there's fraud, it's always the retailer that's left holding the bag - no one loses money except the retailer.
post #44001 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethj View Post

Yes I am fully aware. But you cannot say the seller do not factor into it. There are places that overvalue and places that undervalue your order. They report the total and the fees are also depended on the carrier, hence the risk factor.

Well two people in this thread have stated that End mark the value on customs at the price they sell the item for.

You can ask the seller to mark the value down and declare as a gift but they have no obligation to do so and most as a matter of policy will not entertain this.

If a store overvalues goods and you are charged a higher duty than you should of paid then you should take it up with the store, if you are concerned that they might do this then send the store very clear instructions that they are to mark the customs at the sale value at the time you order.

The duties are set by customs and excise – they are the same for all carriers, the only difference will be how much the carrier charge as a brokerage fee (although it tends to be similar).

You are aware that End deduct the VAT off the price for goods that are exported outside of the EU? Once you take this into consideration even if you do have to pay import duties you'll end up paying a similar price to a domestic customer.
post #44002 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

Based on my experience... My order from End was marked as the order price. My order from Oki-Ni, however, was marked at full retail and resulted in me being charged a 20% customs fee on that full retail.

total crapshoot--my oki ni order from a few weeks ago was marked as sale price.
post #44003 of 49337

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

You do realise that the custom fees are nothing to do with End.

It's very easy to work out what you might get hit with before you purchase:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

 

Sometimes the theoretical duty doesn't match up to the actual customs bill. I, an American, ordered a made in Canada Arc'teryx Veilance jacket from a retailer in the UK. Customs bill was 8%, significantly higher than the NAFTA rate that should have been applied. The 8% was $40. I gave UPS a quick call and they wanted a ream of paperwork that likely would have taken many hours to collect, so I dropped the issue.

post #44004 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainApathy View Post

Quote:

Sometimes the theoretical duty doesn't match up to the actual customs bill. I, an American, ordered a made in Canada Arc'teryx Veilance jacket from a retailer in the UK. Customs bill was 8%, significantly higher than the NAFTA rate that should have been applied. The 8% was $40. I gave UPS a quick call and they wanted a ream of paperwork that likely would have taken many hours to collect, so I dropped the issue.

You only got charged just 8% – whether it was wrong or right that's incredibly low. We get charged 20% VAT on the declared value and the shipping cost plus variable duty depending on what the item is (although that doesn't kick in until the item is over £115) plus the usual brokerage fee. Hopefully your UK retailer deducted the VAT for you?
post #44005 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post


Well two people in this thread have stated that End mark the value on customs at the price they sell the item for.

You can ask the seller to mark the value down and declare as a gift but they have no obligation to do so and most as a matter of policy will not entertain this.

If a store overvalues goods and you are charged a higher duty than you should of paid then you should take it up with the store, if you are concerned that they might do this then send the store very clear instructions that they are to mark the customs at the sale value at the time you order.

The duties are set by customs and excise – they are the same for all carriers, the only difference will be how much the carrier charge as a brokerage fee (although it tends to be similar).

You are aware that End deduct the VAT off the price for goods that are exported outside of the EU? Once you take this into consideration even if you do have to pay import duties you'll end up paying a similar price to a domestic customer.


Noted and appreciate your input. Contacting the seller is an interesting point that I never considered. But as a buyer I would like to know what I am paying for as I check out and not gamble my fees or discounts on so many variables which is why I try to keep it under $200 when ordering from overseas.

 

I was just providing the information I have gathered from other forums or sites regarding their experience with END and other EU sellers. It is good that people have had positive experiences and puts my mind more at ease if I ever order from them in the future (which I most likely will due to their awesome selection).

 

I am also aware that they do deduct VATs as well as a number of EU sites which is why many people make purchases overseas compared to locally here in the states. But if the fees causes me to break even, then I'd rather purchase it locally as returns/exchanges are easier.

post #44006 of 49337
If the goods cost even a little bit more locally then you are always better off buying domestically as overseas return shipping is usually expensive. I have to return a jumper to Sweden this week and the return shipping works out close to $30. Check ENDS returns policy, they offer free returns for the UK and I heard Zizzou had to return a Shearling Coat to them from the States a few weeks ago and they covered the cost of the return - they arranged a Courier Collection. Where you really get into trouble is claiming the duites back, it is possible but no doubt a hassle.

I am not familiar with USA import duty rules but it sounds like you have a waver of $200 (£140). Thats amazingly generous as the waver here is a mere $21 (£15).

Its a great time for US based customers to be buying from the UK as the £ has fallen against the dollar quite signifignatly in recent weeks.
post #44007 of 49337
there is a thread just for customs discussion
post #44008 of 49337
And styleforum pays me $0.03 every time someone posts in it. So please use it.
post #44009 of 49337
there's also a thread just for Kylie Minogue discussion

smile.gif
post #44010 of 49337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

there's also a thread just for Kylie Minogue discussion

smile.gif

Your posts will be more valued there
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread