Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBarneys New Yorktagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandBroketagged by SYSTEM, 11/25/11
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicDiscount Codetagged by LA Guy, 11/16/14
- topicDiscount Codestagged by LA Guy, 11/16/14
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categoryJacketstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- topicSalestagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categorySweaterstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Our Gigantic Summer Sale Thread! Contribute Now Last post on 7/27/15 at 3:29pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Saint Laurent sweaters Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:26am in Buying and Selling
- [FS] CP Expedition Boot | PH Sneaker | PH x Kitsuné Desert Boot | Lanvin Goatskin Runner |... Last post on 2/18/16 at 1:36am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- $520 CROCKETT & JONES BOOTS SIZE 10.5 Burnt Orange Chukka NEW IN BOX Barneys NY Last post on 12/18/15 at 7:46am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- WINGS + HORNS SPRING 2012 Last post on 11/22/12 at 10:51am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash themLast edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Official Sales Alert thread - Page 2786post #41776 of 482158/17/15 at 12:28pmpost #41777 of 482158/17/15 at 12:43pmThread Starterpost #41778 of 482158/17/15 at 12:50pmpost #41779 of 482158/17/15 at 1:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by BlakeRVA
Unionmade is making smart plays by
1. Not allowing merchandise to go to 40% off + additional 40% anymore, because when every single season you have this happening you create a culture of expectation and entitlement where the customers no longer buyer sale merchandise because they think it will continue to go in to a steeper discount (which is a problem many stores face) so they 'wait' to buy it.
2. Not allowing their seasonal sale to be indefinite (until everything is gone) style. Too many stores have these seasonal sales that last for months and as mentioned above give the customer no urgency to buy. With Unionmade putting a definitive end on the sale relatively quickly, they motivate customers to hurry up and buy at the current discount or else miss out on the item.
It's gonna end up at Gilt or TJ Maxx so my view is do the 40% off + add'l 40% off anyway.post #41780 of 482158/17/15 at 1:25pm
Dozens of cheapskate and conceited men, eyeing those last few pairs of fresh kicks, all ready to pull the trigger.
Duties, shipping, VAT - all calculated, waiting for that magic number.
Twitchy and eager fingers jump too soon and miss the best deals. Hands that move too slowly lose everything altogether.
Waiting for steeper discounts is all about the gamble.
Looks like the wild west is dead.post #41781 of 482158/17/15 at 1:27pmpost #41782 of 482158/17/15 at 1:35pmpost #41783 of 482158/17/15 at 1:56pmThread StarterQuote:
TJ Maxx will pay pennies on the dollar, but they will also take everything in a huge batch, arrange for all the shipping, etc... When you are selling at such a high discount, you are just mitigating your losses anyway, but the overhead for sending a package is just as high as for sending a package at retail, so at some point, you are actually losing even more money than you can recoup, especially with subsidized shipping rates.
You will probably lose MORE if you sell to say, TJ Maxx, but at least you stop training your customer to wait until you are actually losing money to make a purchase. I while ago, someone wrote that "Park&Bond was a great place to get Robert Geller at 80% off, which was hilarious. A business cannot be sustainable with such a reputation. It's might be better to just destroy the goods. With something like the Sui Generis consignment store, a retailer can actually come out ahead.
The Corner and Yoox are the same way. After a certain level of drop at The Corner, the Yoox group just transfers everything over to their discounter, and resets the counter at 25-30% off.post #41784 of 482158/17/15 at 2:22pmpost #41785 of 482158/17/15 at 2:58pmQuote:
I can think of at least one place that just puts the sale items back up for full price once the season-ending sale is over. The stock ultimately appears to sell although not until it is seasonally appropriate again.post #41786 of 482158/17/15 at 3:07pmpost #41787 of 482158/17/15 at 3:46pmpost #41788 of 482158/17/15 at 3:58pmpost #41789 of 482158/17/15 at 4:00pmThread Starterpost #41790 of 482158/17/15 at 4:05pm
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › What are you drinking right now? 54 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 8 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...