Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBarneys New Yorktagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandBroketagged by SYSTEM, 11/25/11
- topicCoupon Codetagged by LA Guy, 11/16/14
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicDiscount Codetagged by LA Guy, 11/16/14
- topicDiscount Codestagged by LA Guy, 11/16/14
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- categoryJacketstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
- topicSalestagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categorySweaterstagged by LA Guy, 10/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Our Gigantic Summer Sale Thread! Contribute Now Last post on 7/27/15 at 3:29pm in Streetwear and Denim
- [FS] CP Expedition Boot | PH Sneaker | PH x Kitsuné Desert Boot | Lanvin Goatskin Runner |... Last post on 10/1/14 at 5:15am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- $520 CROCKETT & JONES BOOTS SIZE 10.5 Burnt Orange Chukka NEW IN BOX Barneys NY Last post on 7/12/12 at 1:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- WINGS + HORNS SPRING 2012 Last post on 11/22/12 at 10:51am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Official Sales Alert thread - Page 1596
Styleforum Top Pickspost #23927 of 4167612/3/12 at 3:21pmpost #23928 of 4167612/3/12 at 3:28pmpost #23929 of 4167612/3/12 at 3:45pmQuote:
Boylston is part of the ********* empire (I guess I can't say the name of the store but it's a large online streetwear retailer) and they insist on using DHL for international for whatever reason, even though it's brutal on the receiver. DHL actually makes UPS brokerage charges look ok.
I feel bad every time they offer a free shipping promo because anyone outside the US has no idea what they're in for when it shows up - I'd gladly pay extra to have them ship regular USPS and have no (or reasonable) charges on delivery.
Until they get a better international shipping police they're pretty much one of those places you buy from once, learn your lesson and never buy from again (unless a discount is so insane it makes up for the $30-$40 minimum you'll get charged to receive it).
They're bad enough that the few times I've ordered from them recently I've had it forwarded to a US mailbox and paid them to ship it to me. It still works out cheaper than what I'd pay DHL on top of Boylston's "free" shipping.post #23930 of 4167612/3/12 at 3:52pmpost #23931 of 4167612/3/12 at 4:05pmpost #23932 of 4167612/3/12 at 4:07pmpost #23933 of 4167612/3/12 at 4:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by Hype1234
DHL will charge $10 flat customs fee no matter what (I looked into it before buying socks). On top of that you need to pay provincial taxes, which should be expected (said from Porter and Gilt where they at them at purchase). If the item is made by a NAFTA country (Filson, gitman, etc.) that's all you pay. For other things you have to pay a percentage based on the trade agreement btw Canada and the country of origin. So $42 on a $110 order is probably the minimum to expect for next time with DHL. Yes, they suck.
The duty is not just dependent on the country of origin but the materials as well - whatever is defined by the item's HS code. What makes it worse (for Canadians at least) is most US retailers are too lazy to fill out the customs declaration properly and just put something generic like "clothes" which results in you getting hit with the highest duty rate possible (18%).
Many won't even fill out the country of origin at all resulting in situations like me getting charged 18% duty on a pair of naked & famous jeans even though they are made in Canada of Japanese fabric (Canada has a free trade agreement with Japan).
In short, most (though not all) retailers don't care much at all about international customers and seem to view them as a nuisance more than anything else and won't do much to try and help.post #23934 of 4167612/3/12 at 5:01pmpost #23935 of 4167612/3/12 at 5:05pmpost #23936 of 4167612/3/12 at 5:11pmpost #23937 of 4167612/3/12 at 6:04pmpost #23938 of 4167612/3/12 at 6:16pmpost #23939 of 4167612/3/12 at 6:16pm
- Official Sales Alert thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
Currently, there are 1253 Active Users (273 Members and 980 Guests)
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 1 minute ago
- › The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width) 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 7 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 8 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 9 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 12 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 12 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...