or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sales Alert thread - Page 1137

post #17041 of 37880
I'd be open to discussing torrenting but on a new thread (if someone wants to start one). This is the sales thread.
post #17042 of 37880

since when do threads stay on topic...

post #17043 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post

I'd be open to discussing torrenting but on a new thread (if someone wants to start one). This is the sales thread.

I'd be open to discussing about the discussion of discussing torrenting but on a new thread
post #17044 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Yeah, I don't understand why you people buy software.  Let the corporations pay for that shit teacha.gif  there's already way too many people that charge the $400 Adobe Pro to their company so they can print to pdf or something equally stupid.

Adobe Creative Suite can do things you can't even dream of. You just actually have to learn what the software does and how to utilize it to your needs. Granted if you don't have a need for it, then you wouldn't understand its value.

I get it free from school at the moment but have the option to upgrade, which I will definitely do. Adobe also gives you an option to download their software to try for free for 30 days. You could always download, try, uninstall and redo.


And the one item I want from Yoox seems to be immune from drops, same price since mid-november.
post #17045 of 37880

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevent View Post


Adobe Creative Suite can do things you can't even dream of. You just actually have to learn what the software does and how to utilize it to your needs. Granted if you don't have a need for it, then you wouldn't understand its value.
I get it free from school at the moment but have the option to upgrade, which I will definitely do. Adobe also gives you an option to download their software to try for free for 30 days. You could always download, try, uninstall and redo.
And the one item I want from Yoox seems to be immune from drops, same price since mid-november.


What? No I mean like why would someone like you, an individual with zero risk of a software audit, purchase software at prices sometimes approaching a grand when you can torrent it in ten minutes for free with the exact same functionality?

post #17046 of 37880
I can think of a number of reasons, starting with (1) it's illegal, (2) it's immoral ... but that's a debate that's been waged a hundred million times on the net before and absolutely no point discussing again - particularly in this thread
post #17047 of 37880

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I can think of a number of reasons, starting with (1) it's illegal, (2) it's immoral ... but that's a debate that's been waged a hundred million times on the net before and absolutely no point discussing again - particularly in this thread


Yeah, I realize there's reasons to, it just amazes me that people actually purchase giant corporate software packages like that.  Also, there's no more sales, so this is now the 'argue about pointless shit' thread right? redface.gif

post #17048 of 37880
someone just wrote this :

"Also, first time I've ever had to pay sales tax on yoox. This is a troubling development."

anybody else can comment on it ? i feel like there was a post discussing the implementation on sales tax for yoox purchases made by residents of certain states but i can't be sure
post #17049 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:


What? No I mean like why would someone like you, an individual with zero risk of a software audit, purchase software at prices sometimes approaching a grand when you can torrent it in ten minutes for free with the exact same functionality?

he is living the 1%er lifestyle

how do these software audits work? do the police bust into your workplace unannounced and seize all the computers and check them for software and ask to see the invoice for everything you have on there? if caught, do you go to prison afterwards? or pay a fine?
post #17050 of 37880

Essentially.  It happened here a few years ago and they got a really big fine.  Basically when you click 'I agree' on that license agreement you agree to be audited at some point if they choose.

post #17051 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Essentially.  It happened here a few years ago and they got a really big fine.  Basically when you click 'I agree' on that license agreement you agree to be audited at some point if they choose.

do the police need a search warrant to enter private property (like a workplace) and do a search? or can the police come as they please, tear up the place and then leave and laugh about it later while committing their own crimes?
post #17052 of 37880

Quote:

Originally Posted by iroh View Post


do the police need a search warrant to enter private property (like a workplace) and do a search? or can the police come as they please, tear up the place and then leave and laugh about it later while committing their own crimes?


It's got nothing to do with the police.  Like I said, when you sign that agreement (can't use the SW without doing so) you agree to let the company do whatever, in legal terms, allows them to audit you whenever they want.  They either send someone that works for them or hire a firm to do it, I'm not sure, but it's not cops.

post #17053 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

he is living the 1%er lifestyle
how do these software audits work? do the police bust into your workplace unannounced and seize all the computers and check them for software and ask to see the invoice for everything you have on there? if caught, do you go to prison afterwards? or pay a fine?

Disgruntled former employee reports the business is one way. Software can also be written to "call home". In the states I recall it's a fine is up to $250k per violation, so if you have 8 illegal installs you could be paying up to $2m.
post #17054 of 37880
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:


It's got nothing to do with the police.  Like I said, when you sign that agreement (can't use the SW without doing so) you agree to let the company do whatever, in legal terms, allows them to audit you whenever they want.  They either send someone that works for them or hire a firm to do it, I'm not sure, but it's not cops.

nothing to do with the police? so let me get this straight, if someone (or a group of people) comes knocking on your door, claiming they are from software company X and need to check your computers, you would let them? that makes no sense, you would at least require them to have a police escort with a search warrant in order to come in. otherwise it could be just a bunch of power tripping people planning to do who knows what once they are inside the building. if i was in the position behind the door they better come with the police, otherwise they are not getting in cause i would slam the door in thier face.
Edited by iroh - 2/23/12 at 1:45pm
post #17055 of 37880

You agree to the software audit when you install the software.  If the company wants to audit you, you've already legally agreed, and if you slam the door in their face they'll take you to court, sue you, and most definitely win.  If your entire company has a pirated edition of the software (i.e. you didn't agree to be audited but are stealing their shit), then it's a different story, and they will need a warrant.  Corporations, unlike individuals, are pretty fucked if many of their employees are using stolen software, and way more likely to be prosecuted.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Official Sales Alert thread