or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New suit critique - Polo RL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New suit critique - Polo RL

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I purchased this suit to wear to my wedding in May from the Ralph Lauren store.  It's a Polo RL charcoal.  I really like it quite a bit, and I had the RL tailor alter it by shortening the sleeves, and taking in the waist, and letting out the pants waist an inch.  

 

Keep in mind that I think the shirt I'm wearing is a slight bit too long in the pictures, I tried it on with a shirt that had shorter sleeves and it looked a bit better, but I'm still worried they are too short now, thoughts? How does the jacket look otherwise? I feel like there could be something done in the back, but I'm not sure what.  I think the pants need to be hemmed just a half - 3/4 inch shorter.  Thanks for looking:

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 15
The back is definitely off. There are a couple possible causes that someone better informed than I could identify.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I may try to just go to the tailor and get their opinion.  I like to get the feedback here first though.  Hopefully everything is fixable, although I'm sure being rtw it won't ever be perfect.

post #4 of 15
The jacket sleeves are good. The shirt sleeves are too long and or the cuffs aren't tight enough.
post #5 of 15

What model is this?

 

The back is a bit too tight above the shoulders - thus the stretching. Low right shoulder, but workably clean otherwise. The back is too wide right at the horizontal line formed by your armpit, where the armhole is, basically.

 

if you wore your pants higher - where they should be at your navel - they wouldn't need to be hemmed shorter.

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

I don't know that it has a model.  On the website it just says Polo Ralph Lauren 2 button charcoal suit.  I hope my tailor can fix the upper back area, because I feel like the rest feels quite good.  It does seem a bit tight in the waist when I am walking in it, but it seems that would be pretty normal in any well-fitting suit.

 

As for the pants, they are actually rolled up inside, and are much longer than what they seem in the picture, but yeah I have an issue with pulling my pants up to the proper height which I am trying to be better about.  Although, not sure how you can tell they are too low since you can't see my waist.  I think part of the problem is I have a large rear-end and the higher I pull my pants the more they ride up there, if you know what I mean...

post #7 of 15
It fall well on th shoulders (which is the most important fit).

Do you have high shoulders? That could be causing the wrinkling in the back.

And congrats on the wedding!
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thank you!

 

I don't know if I have high shoulders, I've never really thought about and not sure how to tell.  I just know something is definitely wrong with the upper back area for some reason.  Hopefully my tailor can address it when I go see him.

post #9 of 15

to find the model, look at the manufacturer's tag. It will say Polo I, Polo II, or Blue label, etc. http://www.styleforum.net/t/214705/the-polo-suit-thread/0_20

 

It doesn't look too tight but apparently is because there is some tension in the waist. can you take better lit pics?

 

DDid you say the trousers are hemmed or just rolled up so you can post a picture? Whatever it is, take off an inch for a medium break - it's too full as is.

 

I can tell your pants are too low cause I can see where the rise/crotch ends. I have a big rear too(prominent as tailors call it) but I can manage to wear my pants within an inch of my navel w/o discomfort. congrats as othertravel said:slayer:. It just looks better.

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Here's the tags:

 

 

post #11 of 15

So you have a Polo I. You can read about it in the thread I linked above. The recent Polo I's seem to be slimmer than the older models. I think it will look good with a few tweaks.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post

So you have a Polo I. You can read about it in the thread I linked above. The recent Polo I's seem to be slimmer than the older models. I think it will look good with a few tweaks.

+1

As long as the shoulders fit, other alterations should be easy.

Good purchase.
post #13 of 15

What tweaks are you thinking of making? I think the cut of the pants is perfect(don't taper it any more) - just hem it to the right length. Don't let some pics here influence you to hem it too short. slight break is the safest bet. The waist can be let out a smidgen as I think there is some creasing around the button of the coat. This will also ease up the wrinkles spanning horizontally across your lower back. THe upper back near the collar- I have no idea what to do. The rest of the back seems good. Are the majority of your shirts that long in the sleeves or just some? You should hem the sleeves to 0.25-0.5" fabric showing according to the shirt length that is most prevalent vs catering to the minority. I hope you have a great time, man. Seriously.

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post
 

What tweaks are you thinking of making? I think the cut of the pants is perfect(don't taper it any more) - just hem it to the right length. Don't let some pics here influence you to hem it too short. slight break is the safest bet. The waist can be let out a smidgen as I think there is some creasing around the button of the coat. This will also ease up the wrinkles spanning horizontally across your lower back. THe upper back near the collar- I have no idea what to do. The rest of the back seems good. Are the majority of your shirts that long in the sleeves or just some? You should hem the sleeves to 0.25-0.5" fabric showing according to the shirt length that is most prevalent vs catering to the minority. I hope you have a great time, man. Seriously.

 

I think I will have the pants hemmed slightly (after I make sure they are sitting on my waist correctly ;)) Then figure out what I can do to fix the upper back/neck area.  The majority of my shirts sleeves were too long, until I recently had them tailored, and the shirt I wore underneath in the pictures is one of the exceptions.  The shirt I'll be wearing with the suit will be much better.  Only 3 1/2 more weeks!

post #15 of 15

Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotino15 View Post
 

 

I think I will have the pants hemmed slightly (after I make sure they are sitting on my waist correctly ;)) Then figure out what I can do to fix the upper back/neck area.  The majority of my shirts sleeves were too long, until I recently had them tailored, and the shirt I wore underneath in the pictures is one of the exceptions.  The shirt I'll be wearing with the suit will be much better.  Only 3 1/2 more weeks!


Congrats again.

 

I would post your updated questions in the tailor fit feedback thread. Search for it and ask the tailors. By the way, I think your shirt sleeves were only half an inch too long at most. Try your best not to wear your shirts too short like many people out there or on here. Traditionally, it falls within 1.5" of your thumb webbing(the V that is formed).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New suit critique - Polo RL