• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oliver Suit - Please Help

strazzaque

Reaction score
From a google search

VALENTINO
#20, has two stores at the same address. Valentino Boutique for women carries the ready-to-wear Valentino line, the less expensive Miss V, accessories, handbags, jewelry, knitwear, umbrellas, beachwear (in the summer), robes and nightgowns, lingerie, knitwear, and umbrellas. Evening gowns are always feminine and there are lovely jewelled belts. Valentino for men has two lines of menswear as well as accessories, shirts, ties, socks, belts, underwear, knitwear, and small leather goods. Just around the corner on Via Santo Spirito 3 you'll find Oliver, also by Valentino (named after one of his dogs), with a complete line of clothes for male and female designed with a younger (read less expensive) spirit.

Nos sure if this is the same Oliver being referred to, but this site prices Oliver suits at $525, so you may have saved a tidy amount.

Another source: from 1991, compares Oliver, launched in 1980, to labels like Made (Krizia), Versus (Versace) and Oaks (Ferre), with comments by Versace owner on Oliver.

Further research is recommended.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I found this:
http://www.simonsclothing.com/Search...?CategoryID=64
but those Oliver suits are made in the US and have a different logo.

A few days ago I sent a message to the seller asking whether the suit was fused or canvassed and he had no idea what I was talking about. I guess I'll find out when I receive it next week.

I am not aware of the brand but it appears to be a nice suit. Good fabric and not a bad price. It looks like a great one to have to wear regularly to work. Would you mind telling us what your findings are when you take possession of the suit?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oliver suits were made by the now defunct Frederick Clothing Factory owned by Hartz, which also made Tallia, as well as suits for Brooks Brothers and a few others. Sometimes they were called C.H. Oliver, other times just Oliver. They are fairly conservative, very well made but usually fused American suits. Generally sold in high end department stores for $600-700 range. I have several Tallia suits and they are excellent. Romualdo can speak to their quality. http://www.hartzco.com/oliver.htm The logo was the same as the one you bought, but I can't explain the Italian make.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those when I was searching but it didn't seem as though any of the CH Oliver suits were made in Italy. I'm really hoping it's canvassed but we'll see.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got it today and I am not very impressed. It is fused and, as far as what is visible, machine stitched. The fabric and the cut are very nice, though. The worst part is that the pants do not fit me. I missed the fact that it has a 31" waist in the listing so I think I'll be putting this one back up on ebay. It came with the original price tag in the pocket which said $1350 marked down to $650.

Can't win em all, I guess.

neyus

Reaction score
I was hoping that this was be a real find, I'm sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for. This is sometimes the problem with buying an obscure label off the internet..

I sell some items on ebay and if it is canvassed I will make mention of it (For the benefit of those who care).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads