or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 327

post #4891 of 6172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

 

I bought one of the new shortened OCBDs with the unlined collar.

 

I can echo the sentiment of requesting a looser fit towards the mid section and bottom of the shirt if you are decreasing length. For the shortened OCBD, the overall length is shorter but the bottom is just as slim as the regular contemporary shirts which makes for a  hugging effect at the waist that is not balanced out by extra length.

 

Well noted. Great feedback.

post #4892 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

Wearing my linen purple shirt today. Love it.

When are more shirts coming in? I need to replace a bunch. Button downs? Spread?

Umm.....
post #4893 of 6172

I would vote no BD collar on a denim shirt.

post #4894 of 6172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

Umm.....

Have a bunch landing next week. Oxfords should be towards the end of the month.
post #4895 of 6172
Any side-by-side pic of the Navy Blue Solid and Navy Blue Sharkskin suit?
post #4896 of 6172
Re: the denim shirt question, I generally like my casual shirts with a button down collar. However, if you can get your hands on some finer denim, especially in a brighter blue, I've seen some examples from Eton, Drakes and the Armoury where a spread collar can look nice. Those types of shirts would work without a tie or with something like a knit or wool tie. I don't know that they would work in a heavier denim or something very washed looking. The type of spread collar I'm thinking is more along the lines of the full spread you used for the cotton/linen shirts and not the semi-spread on your typical dress shirts.
post #4897 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post

Have a bunch landing next week. Oxfords should be towards the end of the month.

If the delivery includes the university stripes, this will be life altering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Re: the denim shirt question, I generally like my casual shirts with a button down collar. However, if you can get your hands on some finer denim, especially in a brighter blue, I've seen some examples from Eton, Drakes and the Armoury where a spread collar can look nice. Those types of shirts would work without a tie or with something like a knit or wool tie. I don't know that they would work in a heavier denim or something very washed looking. The type of spread collar I'm thinking is more along the lines of the full spread you used for the cotton/linen shirts and not the semi-spread on your typical dress shirts.

Please do not put a large semi-spread or even full spread collar on your denim shirts. These collars are way too large for casual use without a jacket or even a tie. It should either be a button down or a smaller semi-spread. Also, unlined, as denim is inherently thick.
post #4898 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post


If the delivery includes the university stripes, this will be life altering.
Please do not put a large semi-spread or even full spread collar on your denim shirts. These collars are way too large for casual use without a jacket or even a tie. It should either be a button down or a smaller semi-spread. Also, unlined, as denim is inherently thick.


I agree with the un-lined-ness. In terms of the type of spread, I agree it should not be a large spread collar. S&M doesn't have exactly the type of collar I've seen on good examples of what I'm talking about, so perhaps this is an opportunity to develop one? In any event, I'd personally still buy one with a button down collar, myself.

 

Here are some denim spread collar shirts as examples of what I think would fly:

 

https://www.etonshirts.com/ca/lightweight-denim-shirt-08047661728

 

https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts/japanese-washed-denim-36429.html

 

https://leangarments.com/products/washed-denim-spread-collar-shirt

 

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/sport-shirts/rinse-denim-spread-collar-sport-shirt.html

post #4899 of 6172

Those extreme cutaways are going to be a fleeting trend. They've always looked a bit ridiculous to me.

 

I was thinking something more like this. Many of the heavier casual shirts could benefit from an "in between" collar.

 

http://usonline.apc.fr/kansas-shirt-cobdp-h12241?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=COBDP-H12241&gclid=COnMgo2xr84CFQEmhgod8AgAMw#Stonewashed indigo

post #4900 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

Those extreme cutaways are going to be a fleeting trend. They've always looked a bit ridiculous to me.

 

I was thinking something more like this. Many of the heavier casual shirts could benefit from an "in between" collar.

 

http://usonline.apc.fr/kansas-shirt-cobdp-h12241?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=COBDP-H12241&gclid=COnMgo2xr84CFQEmhgod8AgAMw#Stonewashed indigo


Not really for me, but to each their own. I think we can at least agree on the production of a button down collar. :bigstar:

post #4901 of 6172

For once I agree with @Spex.  I'd be in for both the small spread/cutaway or button down.  That APC collar is terrible.  

 

I would never plan to wear this with a jacket, and although extremely frowned upon, I find small to medium spread collars worn open unbuttoned just fine.  Of course the button down is preferred and likely the best choice if only running 1 model.

post #4902 of 6172
Is there a SF promo code?
post #4903 of 6172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Is there a SF promo code?

 

Not at the moment. What were you looking to pickup?

post #4904 of 6172
Thread Starter 

The denim we have is 4.5 oz, a good weight that's not too thick and works great casually without getting too warm. We are planning on running 2 cuts in 3 washes. Button Down and a Casual Dress shirt. Washes will be Rinsed, so close to raw.  A medium and a Light wash.

 

The Button Down, do we make is a real casual and run the shorter length and open the waist a bit?

post #4905 of 6172

You could cut off an inch on the casual, and give an inch in the waist.  If I am comparing it to the slim fit.  Also add chest pocket.

 

What collar in the casual dress?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread