or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 294

post #4396 of 6172
dropped by the downtown shop and picked up a white linen button down and a white linen-cotton blend. as always a great experience with the staff and the shirts were great as i had expected.
post #4397 of 6172

Since we're on the topic of linens, do you guys tend to wear your linen shirts tucked or untucked? My first inclination is to wear it untucked (as it's the kind of shirt that leans casual) and the 15.5 Slim covers my buttocks entirely. At that length & given the shirt design, I'd be more inclined to tuck it in.

post #4398 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopicK View Post
 

Since we're on the topic of linens, do you guys tend to wear your linen shirts tucked or untucked? My first inclination is to wear it untucked (as it's the kind of shirt that leans casual) and the 15.5 Slim covers my buttocks entirely. At that length & given the shirt design, I'd be more inclined to tuck it in.

 

Length hits me at a great spot, I have worn them both tucked and untucked. Wore the light blue untucked today actually.

post #4399 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopicK View Post

 

Since we're on the topic of linens, do you guys tend to wear your linen shirts tucked or untucked? My first inclination is to wear it untucked (as it's the kind of shirt that leans casual) and the 15.5 Slim covers my buttocks entirely. At that length & given the shirt design, I'd be more inclined to tuck it in.


I tuck every standard shirt regardless of material, but I suppose it would depend on the shirt's configuration.

 

On a separate note, how are you guys finding S&M's pattern matching? I ordered a MTM shirt last year, and while the sizing came out pretty well, the attention to detail wasn't great. The pocket lined up awkwardly, doubling the gingham pattern, and parts that I requested not be fused were fused. To their credit they offered to fix it, but I wanted to keep it to base future adjustments off of. I still get some use out of it.

post #4400 of 6172
Question about sizing: a 16 slim fits me extremely well, save for some pulling at the buttons when I draw my shoulders back and my chest sticks out a little. Moving to a 16 contemporary gives me an extra 1.5in in the chest- is this added fabric split evenly around the entire shirt or just added to the "front" of the shirt (aka the chest).

I'd like to try the different cut to remedy this button pulling issue (especially evident on the linens), but wondering if I'll probably have to tailor a contemporary to slim it down and maybe add back darts. I am a slim fit, just need a little bit more give in the chest.

Kind of a weird question but any responses are appreciated.
post #4401 of 6172
I wear my linen untucked
post #4402 of 6172

Rick, 

 

Have you considered polos with a front pocket for future runs? I am always drawn to the Sunspel Riviera polos but $160 CAD shipped is no where near what I am willing to spend lol.

 

http://www.sunspel.com/row/mens/polo-shirts/riviera-polo.html

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnsson View Post
 


I tuck every standard shirt regardless of material, but I suppose it would depend on the shirt's configuration.

 

On a separate note, how are you guys finding S&M's pattern matching? I ordered a MTM shirt last year, and while the sizing came out pretty well, the attention to detail wasn't great. The pocket lined up awkwardly, doubling the gingham pattern, and parts that I requested not be fused were fused. To their credit they offered to fix it, but I wanted to keep it to base future adjustments off of. I still get some use out of it.

 

I've actually been very impressed with the pattern matching, it's spot on with my madras shirts and flannels.

 

Unlike this laughable job I noticed on one of the J Crew madras.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresbrando View Post

Question about sizing: a 16 slim fits me extremely well, save for some pulling at the buttons when I draw my shoulders back and my chest sticks out a little. Moving to a 16 contemporary gives me an extra 1.5in in the chest- is this added fabric split evenly around the entire shirt or just added to the "front" of the shirt (aka the chest).

I'd like to try the different cut to remedy this button pulling issue (especially evident on the linens), but wondering if I'll probably have to tailor a contemporary to slim it down and maybe add back darts. I am a slim fit, just need a little bit more give in the chest.

Kind of a weird question but any responses are appreciated.

 

I think the extra material is split between the front and back evenly. With the extra cost of having a tailor take in the waist on the contemporary it might just be worth getting a custom 3 shirt bundle.

 

I kind of did the same thing going to the 15.5 contemporary, but I have been liking my shirts fitting with a bit more room so it has worked out and I did not have any of the waists taken in. I will say the contemporary seems to have a larger arm hole and sleeve width compared to slims that I am not a huge fan of. Something I would adjust on future custom orders.

post #4403 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I've actually been very impressed with the pattern matching, it's spot on with my madras shirts and flannels.

Unlike this laughable job I noticed on one of the J Crew madras.







I think the extra material is split between the front and back evenly. With the extra cost of having a tailor take in the waist on the contemporary it might just be worth getting a custom 3 shirt bundle.

I kind of did the same thing going to the 15.5 contemporary, but I have been liking my shirts fitting with a bit more room so it has worked out and I did not have any of the waists taken in. I will say the contemporary seems to have a larger arm hole and sleeve width compared to slims that I am not a huge fan of. Something I would adjust on future custom orders.

Makes sense to go with custom. Only thing is is that I don't see the new madras patterns in the custom selection.
post #4404 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresbrando View Post


Makes sense to go with custom. Only thing is is that I don't see the new madras patterns in the custom selection.

 

http://www.spierandmackay.com/search.php?srchtext=madras

 

Here you go, a lot of pics from the site aren't showing up for me though until you click in on the product.

post #4405 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post

Check back later today. We're going to transfer our Downtown store inventory to online. We cut a ton more, I honestly can't believe they sold this fast.

I'll have to check on the custom

Thanks Rick. I've been checking and haven't seen a change. Has it been updated yet or did I miss out again. Thanks
post #4406 of 6172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post


Thanks Rick. I've been checking and haven't seen a change. Has it been updated yet or did I miss out again. Thanks

 

They have been updated. What colour/size were you looking for?

 

Custom, we're pretty much sold out of linen for the season.

post #4407 of 6172
Anyone else's linen shirt have a tag that says "100% Cotton"?
post #4408 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by linds_15 View Post

dropped by the downtown shop and picked up a white linen button down and a white linen-cotton blend. as always a great experience with the staff and the shirts were great as i had expected.

So the cotton linen blends are available OTR? Nice! Spread collar I presume? Can't wait to buy these once they hit the website.
post #4409 of 6172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Anyone else's linen shirt have a tag that says "100% Cotton"?

 

I just grabbed one. Factory goofed the label. These are 100% Linen. Can have them tested even. But should be pretty obvious in the way they perform.

post #4410 of 6172
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post

They have been updated. What colour/size were you looking for?

Custom, we're pretty much sold out of linen for the season.

I was looking for 14.5 slim in light blue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread