or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 150

post #2236 of 6230
Thread Starter 

Another quick question to the group.

 

For the Full Canvas suit, belt loops on the trousers or Side Tabs?

post #2237 of 6230
I vote loops.
post #2238 of 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post

Another quick question to the group.

For the Full Canvas suit, belt loops on the trousers or Side Tabs?

Tabs!
post #2239 of 6230
Tabs or Daks adjusters!
post #2240 of 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post
 

Another quick question to the group.

 

For the Full Canvas suit, belt loops on the trousers or Side Tabs?


This is an easy one.  Side tabs for sure.

post #2241 of 6230
I would try the Asian mill. And belt loops.
post #2242 of 6230
I don't have an opinion on the options but I'm glad that you're growing and branching out. It's really awesome that a company will listen to it's customers and make the changes they put forth.
post #2243 of 6230
I vote Italian and no belt loops.

But what I'd like even more (and I've said this a few times before) is good product/fabric/details photos on normally proportioned people in good light - styled properly by SF standards of course.

Heck, I'll even connect you with a model and fashion photographer in Toronto if you'd like.

I really think better product visuals (and descriptions) would make a huge difference for you guys. See Epaulet and NMWA for example; I can "feel" their products when viewing their sites.
post #2244 of 6230

I'm not sure a lot of men outside of this forum know much of the various mills, much less suit construction. If the target audience is those in the know, providing one exclusive of the other is risky in my opinion.

 

Another vote for no belt loops.

post #2245 of 6230
My vote would definitely be for the Italian mill fabrics. Seems a bit incongruent to make a fully canvassed suit and then skimp on the fabric (even though I'm sure the Asian mill fabric isn't bad), particularly when the suit has Neapolitan styling. At ~$560 USD you'll already be offering an incredible deal that nobody else comes close to matching. I doubt you'll lose many sales, if any at all, to people who were otherwise interested in a full canvass suit but needed the added value proposition of saving $100 through the use of cheaper, lesser known fabrics.

I'd also vote sidetabs, but don't have a strong preference either way.

Whatever you decide, I really look forward to seeing the outcome!
post #2246 of 6230
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02///M3 View Post

My vote would definitely be for the Italian mill fabrics. Seems a bit incongruent to make a fully canvassed suit and then skimp on the fabric (even though I'm sure the Asian mill fabric isn't bad), particularly when the suit has Neapolitan styling. At ~$560 USD you'll already be offering an incredible deal that nobody else comes close to matching. I doubt you'll lose many sales, if any at all, to people who were otherwise interested in a full canvass suit but needed the added value proposition of saving $100 through the use of cheaper, lesser known fabrics.

I'd also vote sidetabs, but don't have a strong preference either way.

Whatever you decide, I really look forward to seeing the outcome!

 

We still have time as production won't start for a couple of months. $560 USD doesn't sound bad, but still more than 80% of our sales are in Canada, and a $750 price point is really starting to creep up there. One of the driving factors for us to create really outstanding, affordable value in all products. You would be surprised at the price sensitivity in the market these days, especially in the middle ground where we operate.

post #2247 of 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post

We still have time as production won't start for a couple of months. $560 USD doesn't sound bad, but still more than 80% of our sales are in Canada, and a $750 price point is really starting to creep up there. One of the driving factors for us to create really outstanding, affordable value in all products. You would be surprised at the price sensitivity in the market these days, especially in the middle ground where we operate.

I would almost certainly purchase a full canvas sit from you if it came with side tabs and Italian fabrics. I don't think I'd be interested with Asian fabrics. I don't know what percentage of potential customers feel the same way.
post #2248 of 6230
I vote side tabs and if the Asian fabrics wear and feel just as good then I'd say Asian fabrics as well.
post #2249 of 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post
 

Question for you gentlemen out there interested in the Full Canvas OTR program.

 

If we go with an established Italian cloth like Reda, VBC, Guabello (In a super 110's) - the best price we are looking at is $750 CAD ($560 USD).

 

If we make it with a top end Asian Mill cloth, like Dino Filarte or Ruyi, we can bring it in for $650 CAD ($490 USD)...

 

Cheers,

Rick

I assume this is an all or nothing decision? You can't do some of each? It would be very interesting (but probably too ineffeicient) to do a run of navy in each and see which sells out first...

 

If I'm going to be spending slightly more to get to full-canvassed and better construction, I don't mind spending $100 extra to get fabrics that are perceived to be better quality. The idea behind spending more is that the suit should last longer. Known Italian fabrics would give more assurance that the fabric will be expected to last longer and be a workhorse suit.

 

When I look at a suit, I can tell whether I like the cloth, but I have no way of knowing whether I should expect it to stand up to time or not. A known mill is basically my only (probably flawed) way of gauging that. 

 

Some people probably use fabric as the only measure of suit quality. So having Italian fabrics might convince them to give you a shot instead of another company.

 

I believe that your closest competitor for fully-canvassed suits would be suit supply's la spalla, or Samuelsohn from HR - both of which are  ~1k, so you'd still be destroying them in pricing. 

post #2250 of 6230
I think belt loops vs. side tabs is a no-brainer. Belt loops by a mile. How many guys wearing suits will not buy a suit because it has belt loops instead of side tabs? I imagine the answer is very few. I don't think the opposite is true. None of the guys I have sent in would buy a suit with side tabs for work. I would buy a suit with side tabs for non-business wear but not for work. I am also trying to think of the masses here and not just us on the forum.

On the mills, I am happy to pay the extra money for better fabric (I'll leave it to Rick to determine whether the Italian stuff is better) but I think the USD calculations are deceptive given the exchange rate will move at some point and that most customers are still Canadian. I think that at $750 a lot of guys in Canada would spend a couple of hundred dollars more and go to Harry Rosen and buy a Hugo Boss suit or pocket the cash and buy a garbage Calvin Klein suit. I would go with the Asian mills.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread