or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Look goes on... - Page 63

post #931 of 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

Has anyone on here bought anything from Orvis ? I have seen a Harrington that looks good in the pictures and some polos and long sleeve polos,just wondering what anyones experience with them might have been.


They're an Americanfishing/hunting/outdoors company-- so typically very generous sizing and not as "refined" as, for instance, Barbour. Good, hardwearing togs though.

Also, check out C.C. Filson. Their sizing is more versatile.
post #932 of 939
That is one hell of a coat !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

Yup, you can't fault Mr. Porter for accessories. I justified it as an Easter gift for me, too.biggrin.gif
I got a beautiful Dunhill pocket square and tie presented in a Mr Porter cloth bag, and took a slight chance on a nice APC POW check mac(the chance being that I hadn't bought APC for a few years and wasn't 100% sure about sizing). The measurements looked right so I went for it. A really beautiful spring/summer piece(cotton/linen blend), very minimalist with no cuff straps/buttons or other crap, set-in sleeves, etc. Upon receipt I knew all I had to do was bring it to my tailor to have the sleeves shortened.


509578_mrp_in_xl.jpg
post #933 of 939
Long time lurker... This is a great thread! I'm an "ex" skin (it never really goes away does it haha?) from the U.S., and as I get older, I try to maintain the "look" without looking like a 15 year old boy. I find that mixing ivy with some of the staples is working very well for me. Anyway, carry on gentleman.
post #934 of 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post

That is one hell of a coat !

Thanks, boss. I'm quite happy with it; it's something different and has an extra touch of class with the PoW check.

I'm in the same boat as you with being an old/ex- skinhead and maintaining some semblance of style and class, sans the pinoccio boots and McDonald's employee-looking checked shirts. This thread and the "mod to suedehead" thread are great, if lengthy reads and have a great deal of relevance to the looks that I(and I assume you)personally maintain.
post #935 of 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post

Long time lurker... This is a great thread! I'm an "ex" skin (it never really goes away does it haha?) from the U.S., and as I get older, I try to maintain the "look" without looking like a 15 year old boy. I find that mixing ivy with some of the staples is working very well for me. Anyway, carry on gentleman.

Well I think I am running out of steam a bit, refreshed the wardrobe so good for the next decade! Can tell you where I see myself in ten years time in terms of outfits:

* Black Tie white bow

* Black jacket modernised morning dress

* Navy suit mauve/pink pinstripe

* Navy blazer PoW trousers/light chinos

* Harrington pullovers polos 501s

Double cuffs worn as barrel cuffs, top shirt button undone under tie, nod to Casual with pink/mauve polos, whole attitude is Mod, still a Skinhead inside, no accessories, even less stuff than now.
Edited by covskin - Yesterday at 7:56 am
post #936 of 939
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post



Well I think I am running out of steam a bit, refreshed the wardrobe so good for the next decade! Can tell you where I see myself in ten years time in terms of outfits:



* Black Tie white bow



* Black jacket modernised morning dress



* Navy suit mauve/pink pinstripe



* Navy blazer PoW trousers/light chinos



* Harrington pullovers polos 501s



Double cuffs worn as barrel cuffs, top shirt button undone under tie, nod to Casual with pink/mauve polos, whole attitude is Mod, still a Skinhead inside, no accessories, even less stuff than now.

 



Interesting, cov

How do you wear a double cuff as a barrel?
post #937 of 939
Wrongly! - overlapping the cuffs instead of splaying them out as normal, catch less on a desk, etc so functional. Can also fanny about doing them up normally but only through three holes for some evening 'cocktail cuff' action.

(think my first hired Black Tie outfit came with single cuffs and I was shown on the night to overlap them)
Edited by covskin - Yesterday at 9:10 am
post #938 of 939
I've been reading the mod to suedehead thread since 2010.. It's really, really good. I just never contributed because between "Get Smart" and yourself the "35-45 year old American skinhead who got into it through punk" thing was officially covered haha. I just thought that my experience was so parallel to the two of you that I couldn't really add a fresh perspective.
This thread, however, is exactly what I'm going through in life so I think I can add a little more over here haha.
Anyway, back on topic...
How do you fellas feel about the 3/2 roll sack jackets? That's one part of "the Ivy look" that I am having a hard time with. Coming from the skinhead look, I just do not like the shapelessness of those jackets. I've tried a few, but I feel, well, tubular in them hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

Thanks, boss. I'm quite happy with it; it's something different and has an extra touch of class with the PoW check.

I'm in the same boat as you with being an old/ex- skinhead and maintaining some semblance of style and class, sans the pinoccio boots and McDonald's employee-looking checked shirts. This thread and the "mod to suedehead" thread are great, if lengthy reads and have a great deal of relevance to the looks that I(and I assume you)personally maintain.
post #939 of 939
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post

I've been reading the mod to suedehead thread since 2010.. It's really, really good. I just never contributed because between "Get Smart" and yourself the "35-45 year old American skinhead who got into it through punk" thing was officially covered haha. I just thought that my experience was so parallel to the two of you that I couldn't really add a fresh perspective.
This thread, however, is exactly what I'm going through in life so I think I can add a little more over here haha.
Anyway, back on topic...
How do you fellas feel about the 3/2 roll sack jackets? That's one part of "the Ivy look" that I am having a hard time with. Coming from the skinhead look, I just do not like the shapelessness of those jackets. I've tried a few, but I feel, well, tubular in them hahaha.


Welcome AYP!

 

I agree entirely about the sack jackets.  They were one (short-lived) skinhead item I could not really embrace.  They made something of a comeback here in the 80s when there was a return, in London at least, to something approximating the look I was favouring around the summer of 1970 - Bleeding Madras sack jacket, BD, chinos/Sta Prest and penny loafers.  Again it did not hang around long here although John Simons of course continue to promote that look. 

 

There has been a debate on this thread and on the Mod to Suedehead one about whether J Simons or the current Milanese / Pitti  look is the true successor to 'the Look' in the 21st Century.  I am tending more and more towards elements of the latter (but still visit the great man whenever I am in that part of London).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...