or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Look goes on... - Page 57

post #841 of 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

Chavy or an ok casual twist on revivalist?
Rugby (long sleeve)
Pegged 501
Suede chukka (leather sole vs desert boot)

Certainly not chav like,very neat and casual.

I personally prefer a plain shirt,but I think that your chukka boots are a much better choice than desert boots,I said as much to a friend last week he was thinking of Clarks desert boots and I said what about the Loake Kempton / Herring Gosforth in suede with a dainite sole ?.

The only problem with suede for me is that we get so many wet days when suede isn't as good as leather,you don't have that problem so its a great choice.

post #842 of 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

Chavy or an ok casual twist on revivalist?
Rugby (long sleeve)
Pegged 501
Suede chukka (leather sole vs desert boot)


Defo ain't chavvy! Too refined. Looks more like "well-put-together-herbert"/former mod or casual.
post #843 of 850
Thanks for the feedback. "Herbert..." I like that jargon. Learn something new every day! I reckon that's a fairly accurate description of me.
post #844 of 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

Chavy or an ok casual twist on revivalist?
Rugby (long sleeve)
Pegged 501
Suede chukka (leather sole vs desert boot)

With asymmetrical vertical 'go faster' stripes that would look too Mod. As it is - and with it being a rugby shirt too - it avoids that fate.
post #845 of 850
I appreciate the viewpoints from this thread's members. You have both the history and eye for "the look," but a willingness to take some of those elements and move it foreword. If you don't mind, I'll post some more, time to time, when I feel I've got something somewhat relevant to share.
Edited by cocostella - 3/2/15 at 12:58pm
post #846 of 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

I appreciate the viewpoints from this thread's members. You have both the history and eye for "the look," but a willingness to take some of those elements and move it foreword. If you don't mind, I'll post some more, time to time, when I feel I've got something somewhat relevant to share.

I have enjoyed your posts as you seem more interested in the casual side of the Look.

 

I have a couple of questions for you,in one of your pictures you showed some longwing brogues,they looked like the AE Macneil in walnut ? what do you wear them with ? and as those shoes are still made and sold do you see them being worn very often ? and what sort of person wears them these days ?.

post #847 of 850
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

I appreciate the viewpoints from this thread's members. You have both the history and eye for "the look," but a willingness to take some of those elements and move it foreword. If you don't mind, I'll post some more, time to time, when I feel I've got something somewhat relevant to share.


Please do keep posting pics and I think we all want to keep moving forward.  I think your outfit looks great. 

 

I must say I am going off Clarks desert boots too and only wear one pair (brown) these days.

 

cocostella - what new stuff are you buying for spring / summer?

post #848 of 850
Yes, the casual side fits both my current reality (work and play), and my past tastes as a mod revivalist. Like most folks, I assume, I do have occasion to wear a suit, or at least blazer and trousers, for weddings, more formal parties and posher restaurants, etc... The MacNeils are one pair that come out for blazers and sometimes jeans with an ocbd/v-neck sweater combo. They're sharp enough, but stay on the less formal side being walnut pebble grain. Never seen anyone else wearing them. Seems people either wear shiny black long wings with suits, or some god-awful distressed or cheap fashiony iteration with jeans. I really like the look of mine and the quality is certainly there for the price.

I currently have only two pairs of Clarks left. One is a well beat-up pair of sand desert boots, which I just can't give up for fear of having my mod card revoked! I wear them with jeans for ball games and shitty bars. The other pair is a dark-green camo desert trek. I wear these quite a bit as they're super comfortable and just different enough to keep me "away from the numbers."

Living in San Diego affords me a climate you lot would probably consider as being in perpetual spring/summer. I kind of shop in that mode year-round. However, I love jackets and coats. I already have far more than I should, but can't stop and am always culling out the weak links in favor of the next "perfect" specimen. I just picked up my new favorite the other day. It's a green/brown Bellfield fish-tail parka. A bit trimmer than your standard fare, with a safety orange zip-out lining, which is designed to be worn on it's own as well. It's a bit snug with liner in, but alone fits great and has a nice shape to it. The material is 100% cotton and feels like a soft, thick worn canvas.

Other things I've recently purchased are two short-sleeve ocbd shirts, one white and one light blue. I like the look of these. They have to be worn with proper clobber and a certain "attitude," or you may as we'll stick some pens in the pocket and start fixing someone's computer on the spot. Untucked for me. I also just bought two wide-striped short-sleeve henleys, which are bright enough to give them some pop, but aren't obnoxious.

I've been a surfer all my life, and spend an inordinate amount of time at the beach (again, for both work and play), so that influence creeps into my style for sure. I despise the standard current "surfer" look, however, there is a rich surf and skate style history to be mined. Vans, or some Topsiders variation, have been on my feet, off and on, since forever. I appreciate a simple canvas skate/deck shoe. I just took a chance on some navy leather Eytys, which look like Vans with a much thicker (almost creeper-like) sole. They might be wrong... They might be quirky cool. We'll see...
Edited by cocostella - 3/3/15 at 1:33pm
post #849 of 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocostella View Post

Yes, the casual side fits both my current reality (work and play), and my past tastes as a mod revivalist. Like most folks, I assume, I do have occasion to wear a suit, or at least blazer and trousers, for weddings, more formal parties and posher restaurants, etc... The MacNeils are one pair that come out for blazers and sometimes jeans with an ocbd/v-neck sweater combo. They're sharp enough, but stay on the less formal side being walnut pebble grain. Never seen anyone else wearing them. Seems people either wear shiny black long wings with suits, or some god-awful distressed or cheap fashiony iteration with jeans. I really like the look of mine and the quality is certainly there for the price.

I currently have only two pairs of Clarks left. One is a well beat-up pair of sand desert boots, which I just can't give up for fear of having my mod card revoked! I wear them with jeans for ball games and shitty bars. The other pair is a dark-green camo desert trek. I wear these quite a bit as they're super comfortable and just different enough to keep me "away from the numbers."

Living in San Diego affords me a climate you lot would probably consider as being in perpetual spring/summer. I kind of shop in that mode year-round. However, I love jackets and coats. I already have far more than I should, but can't stop and am always culling out the weak links in favor of the next "perfect" specimen. I just picked up my new favorite the other day. It's a green/brown Bellfield fish-tail parka. A bit trimmer than your standard fare, with a safety orange zip-out lining, which is designed to be worn on it's own as well. It's a bit snug with liner in, but alone fits great and has a nice shape to it. The material is 100% cotton and feels like a soft, thick worn canvas.

Other things I've recently purchased are two short-sleeve ocbd shirts, one white and one light blue. I like the look of these. They have to be worn with proper clobber and a certain "attitude," or you may as we'll stick some pens in the pocket and start fixing someone's computer on the spot. Untucked for me. I also just bought two wide-striped short-sleeve henleys, which are bright enough to give them some pop, but aren't obnoxious.

I've been a surfer all my life, and spend an inordinate amount of time at the beach (again, for both work and play), so that influence creeps into my style for sure. I despise the standard current "surfer" look, however, there is a rich surf and skate style history to be mined. Vans, or some Topsiders variation, have been on my feet, off and on, since forever. I appreciate a simple canvas skate/deck shoe. I just took a chance on some navy leather Eytys, which look like Vans with a much thicker (almost creeper-like) sole. They might be wrong... They might be quirky cool. We'll see...

Interesting, and I totally agree about the AE Macneills in walnut being versatile enough to wear dressed up or down,very nice shoes,it does make me wonder who buys them now its the same here plenty of nice brogues etc being made in Northampton but I rarely see them being worn,they cant all be going to China surely ?.

 

Getting dressed up here seems to be getting rarer,car parks are full of very nice cars but the people driving them are scruffs.

I think that its possible to dress in a casual way without falling into the chav or scruff box,but it does take some thinking about and sometimes on a wet cold winter night coming home from the gym I am sure I let the side down.

 

I know what you mean about the plain OCBD shirts,they can be too much like workwear,I remember that we used to wear them to school in the early 70s,as you say though worn with the right clothes they can still look good.

 

I am also the same when it comes to jackets / coats,I bought a Lyle and Scott parka for wearing to football in the winter,its warm enough but not very stylish,the Barbour that I bought last year copes with the rain but again its a practical more than a style jacket,for summer a light weight Harrington is my favourite if a jacket is needed.

post #850 of 850
A thought occurred to me today, that innovation in clothing is a second-generation immigrant thing - that whole rootless, dual identity, fitting-in thing. Well I had a look around me and saw nothing but reactionary tribal crap and cheapest chavwear. The problem is multiculturalism, it is monoculturalism that drives innovation from the second generation. Now shoot me.
Edited by covskin - Today at 9:25 am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...