or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Look goes on... - Page 71

post #1051 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Defenitely the doggy's danglies-- i love the soles, too. I might have to pick up a pair(the brogues, that is happy.gif) for an early 40th birthday gift to myself!


The Stepneys seem to be out of production now,I guess that's why these were reduced selling the last ones off,but the Alfred Sargent Romney look the same shoe to me,its on the same last.

I had a look for those Robinsons that you have but they don't have them advertised now,and the AE Macneill wasn't available in walnut in my size over here ( in fact I read that its now discontinued).

I know the dainite soles are a contentious issue,I like them particularly in the wet,yes a 40th deserves a good present,so why not ?.

 

Sorry that should be Alfred Sargent Oakley (not Romney) looked at so many brogues that I am confused.


Edited by cerneabbas - 5/23/15 at 4:18am
post #1052 of 1062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post


I have bought shoes from Herrings and been happy with their service,but they had nothing that I fancied in brown brogues.
Finding anything that I liked that was still being made was a bit of a quest.
Well done mate!

I like them a lot and if I didnt already have the similar Cheaney shoe (not longwings) I might have snapped up the size 8.
post #1053 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


Well done mate!

I like them a lot and if I didnt already have the similar Cheaney shoe (not longwings) I might have snapped up the size 8.


I remember that you put up a picture of your tan Cheaney brogues Mr Knightley,which ones are they ?.

post #1054 of 1062
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post


I remember that you put up a picture of your tan Cheaney brogues Mr Knightley,which ones are they ?.
They are unusual in that they were made exclusively for Chelmsford shoe shop James Finch - recently gone the way of all good shops and closed their doors.

They are quite beautiful in their way but I do struggle with the Dainite soles as you know.
post #1055 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knightley View Post


They are unusual in that they were made exclusively for Chelmsford shoe shop James Finch - recently gone the way of all good shops and closed their doors.

They are quite beautiful in their way but I do struggle with the Dainite soles as you know.


That explains why I failed to find them in my brogue search,as you say quite beautiful...and hard to find anything like them now.

post #1056 of 1062

I have been looking for a plain,navy,light weight wool,flat front trousers for the warmer weather,up until a couple of years ago M&S would have been the place for me to go,times have changed.

Whilst searching online I had a look at Next suits and tailoring,theres a lot there which is not seen in their stores ( to be honest I don't go in Next very much), Italian wool suits,Harris Tweed jackets etc.

I quite like the look of a blue herringbone Haris Tweed jacket and some of the Vitale Barberis suits and the Reda ones looked good ( in the pictures),has anyone had any experience or read any reviews?.

post #1057 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post

I have been looking for a plain,navy,light weight wool,flat front trousers for the warmer weather,up until a couple of years ago M&S would have been the place for me to go,times have changed.
Whilst searching online I had a look at Next suits and tailoring,theres a lot there which is not seen in their stores ( to be honest I don't go in Next very much), Italian wool suits,Harris Tweed jackets etc.
I quite like the look of a blue herringbone Haris Tweed jacket and some of the Vitale Barberis suits and the Reda ones looked good ( in the pictures),has anyone had any experience or read any reviews?.

I think the Brooks Bros Regent Fit or Madison fit trousers are well-built, hard-wearing, and drape nicely. They can hold a sharp crease, too. Regent Fit is a but trimmer and Madison is pretty standard(though not baggy by any means, unless you're a total beanpole).
A little steep at $160/£103 but my couple pairs have lasted a few years now. As the reviews say, the pocket lining IS white and shows if you don't wear a jacket-- but the quality/stitching issues are something I've never personally experienced with these.
[url] http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/dress-pants/0219,default,sc.html [/url]
post #1058 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


I think the Brooks Bros Regent Fit or Madison fit trousers are well-built, hard-wearing, and drape nicely. They can hold a sharp crease, too. Regent Fit is a but trimmer and Madison is pretty standard(though not baggy by any means, unless you're a total beanpole).
A little steep at $160/£103 but my couple pairs have lasted a few years now. As the reviews say, the pocket lining IS white and shows if you don't wear a jacket-- but the quality/stitching issues are something I've never personally experienced with these.
[url] http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/dress-pants/0219,default,sc.html [/url]


The Madison look good but on the Brooks Bros UK site they are £130 which is a bit too expensive for me, the other thing about Brooks Bros is every time I see a shirt I like they aren't available here..

 

I was going to ask a while back if there is one store or brand that epitomises 'the Look', IMO if there is its probably Brooks Bros ?  some of the trousers,shirts,raincoats and some of the shoes look just right to me.

post #1059 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerneabbas View Post


The Madison look good but on the Brooks Bros UK site they are £130 which is a bit too expensive for me, the other thing about Brooks Bros is every time I see a shirt I like they aren't available here..

I was going to ask a while back if there is one store or brand that epitomises 'the Look', IMO if there is its probably Brooks Bros ?  some of the trousers,shirts,raincoats and some of the shoes look just right to me.

Obviously I'm coming from a younger generation, but I'd tend to agree with the "Look" sentiment. The shirt collars roll(yeah it's only a 2-button collar, and I think they're fused and lined, and the yoke is not stitched), and the shirts are just very high quality and last repeated washings. I go for the current "green label" shirts which are trim but not slim.
Cerneabbas, yeah I agree that £130 is a bit steep. I tend to buy during sales and I often get 40% off type postcards so that's normally when I go to their Boston shop.
Gotta say, the trousers really are sharp and some of the overcoats and raincoats are of superb quality. I have a beautiful BBros grey/charcoal/brown marled saxxon wool overcoat(posted somewhere on the other forum) which I wear more than any crombie. The lack of a welt chest pocket and having slash/handwarmer pockets make it less pretentious than a crombie, and more versatile in my opinion.
Sure, Brooks has a lot of stuff that might be incongruous with "the Look", but there are many things that are just right. I consider myself lucky to have them and J. Press near me. Press's lambswool v-necks, shirts(some of which have the 3-button collar) and sport coats are superb, if quite a bit more "Ivy", and wear like iron.
post #1060 of 1062
Have to disagree on Brooks Bros. Been in their Regent St shop a few times and not been particularly moved by anything. Hard to believe that there could be one shop or brand that is the epitome, the look is portmanteau, would be nice to find it though.

When I leave the wardrobe open for a look, something I must admit I get a strange enjoyment from, the colouring seems somewhat like a Ralph Lauren concession only without the patterns, but that's just me. In form it would perhaps be something like an Austin Reed, just me again, with a tinge of army surplus/Millets of ye olde tymes.

A shop I would really like to visit again would be the Last Resort, a skinhead clothing shop in London trading circa 1982-84 though I doubt I would buy much there these days! The shopfitting was actually quite forward in its look at the time; red/blue neon and bare walls minimalism.
Edited by covskin - 5/25/15 at 3:31pm
post #1061 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post


Obviously I'm coming from a younger generation, but I'd tend to agree with the "Look" sentiment. The shirt collars roll(yeah it's only a 2-button collar, and I think they're fused and lined, and the yoke is not stitched), and the shirts are just very high quality and last repeated washings. I go for the current "green label" shirts which are trim but not slim.
Cerneabbas, yeah I agree that £130 is a bit steep. I tend to buy during sales and I often get 40% off type postcards so that's normally when I go to their Boston shop.
Gotta say, the trousers really are sharp and some of the overcoats and raincoats are of superb quality. I have a beautiful BBros grey/charcoal/brown marled saxxon wool overcoat(posted somewhere on the other forum) which I wear more than any crombie. The lack of a welt chest pocket and having slash/handwarmer pockets make it less pretentious than a crombie, and more versatile in my opinion.
Sure, Brooks has a lot of stuff that might be incongruous with "the Look", but there are many things that are just right. I consider myself lucky to have them and J. Press near me. Press's lambswool v-necks, shirts(some of which have the 3-button collar) and sport coats are superb, if quite a bit more "Ivy", and wear like iron.


I think that Brooks Bros probably attracts me because I was so influenced by the clothes and styles that I saw on TV here in the mid to late 60s,a lot of American made programmes being shown here then,the clothes colours looked lighter and there was a sharper look than I saw adults wearing over here.

 

Funny that you mention the overcoat,since attending the funeral a few months ago when I mentioned how smart a lot of the men looked in Crombie style coats,my thinking has been moving more towards a tweed or herringbone overcoat with slash pockets,as you say more versatile so a bit easier to wear dressed down.

 

I suppose that we are all a bit obsessive about clothes or we wouldn't be on this forum but I find that some things don't bother me so much now,the lack of the back collar button on a BD or the loop,in fact I prefer a slightly smaller collar now than I wore in 71,logos are more of a gripe with me.

post #1062 of 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post

Have to disagree on Brooks Bros. Been in their Regent St shop a few times and not been particularly moved by anything. Hard to believe that there could be one shop or brand that is the epitome, the look is portmanteau, would be nice to find it though.

When I leave the wardrobe open for a look, something I must admit I get a strange enjoyment from, the colouring seems somewhat like a Ralph Lauren concession only without the patterns, but that's just me. In form it would perhaps be something like an Austin Reed, just me again, with a tinge of army surplus/Millets of ye olde tymes.

A shop I would really like to visit again would be the Last Resort, a skinhead clothing shop in London trading circa 1982-84 though I doubt I would buy much there these days! The shopfitting was actually quite forward in its look at the time; red/blue neon and bare walls minimalism.


I have only been in Brooks Bros at Bicester outlet centre,I was disappointed with what they had there compared with what you see on their website,I suppose that they decide what they think will sell well here from their catalogue,I guess that what old skinheads in England may like doesn't figure in their thoughts ( unfortunately).

 

Austins was the shop here about 69 to 71 where you went to get anything skinhead / suedehead clothes wise,Levis,Sta Prest including two tone,Wranglers,denim and cord jackets etc etc,not footwear though..

 

I did go to the Last Resort once,yes as I remember it very minimalist,the shop that I liked in Bristol about 1992  was Next,much smaller and generally seemed much higher quality than their shops now,also nicely laid out,once they moved to bigger shops things changed.


Edited by cerneabbas - Yesterday at 5:25 am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Look goes on...