• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wisdom Teeth

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'm going in Thursday to have three removed. One is starting to pop out, it got infected, and then made my face swell so I was told to have them all taken out at the same time.

Any suggestions/tips? Been dreading this day for awhile but looking forward to a vicodin-filled weekend.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow im going in thursday to have some removed as well....

infected as well and it hurts like a *****

I was told not to eat anything late wendsday night (as in close to midnight or afterwards)

Also, told to rinse my mouth with warm saltwater a bunch of times leading up to it. Dont use straws either afterwards

and about the pain...the easier it comes out..the less painful it will be apparently

but the vicodin should help!

But like you man, I am dreading this but cannot wait for it to be over with....

Aries

Reaction score
Funny you asked, I just got done telling my younger bro about this experience yesterday, he's having his removed on Monday. I think it's a good idea to get it over with in one go as well, but I think it's decided on a per case basis. Got mine taken out a few years ago and IME, it looks more painful than it is. My cheeks swelled up quite a bit, and I had a bit of pain, particualrly while swallowing for about two days(quite bearable though), but then the pain and swelling drastically began to subside. Other than thath It was a bit of a nuisance getting back to regular food, took about 5 or 6 days for me. All in all not too bad...I;m sure as a med student you can think of/ have seen things that are much worse. On the bright side..you get to eat more ice cream/ milk shakes, get more reading done, and more time on SF!
laugh.gif
Best of Luck Whodini.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey nothing to it. I had 3 removed in one sitting a few years back. I remember the dentist driving a chisel down one because it was damn hard to remove. Didn't hurt at all right after and I actually drove back to work after. It did hurt when the anesthesia wore off, but I actually felt fine couple of days after.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
wow im going in thursday to have some removed as well....

infected as well and it hurts like a *****

Also, told to rinse my mouth with warm saltwater a bunch of times leading up to it. Dont use straws either afterwards

But like you man, I am dreading this but cannot wait for it to be over with....

What a coincidence... Yeah, it hurts a bit right now but it's the swelling that's bothersome. They haven't prescribed pain meds yet but I'm going to fix that as of tomorrow. My surgeon is actually a professor at my school, oddly enough, and promised to have me blacked out for a few days.

Let's compare notes.

Originally Posted by Aries
I;m sure as a med student you can think of/ have seen things that are much worse.

On the bright side..you get to eat more ice cream/ milk shakes, get more reading done, and more time on SF!
laugh.gif
Best of Luck Whodini.

Reading about impacted teeth versus experiencing impacted teeth are two different beasts. I'm never joking about someone's toothache again.

While I was going over wisdom tooth literature last night @ 4am I read something to the effect of "get them removed before they come out at an inconvenient time." Oh, you mean like the test I had today, the test I'll have to skip Friday, the presentation on Monday, etc... Damnit.

Originally Posted by acidicboy
Hey nothing to it. I had 3 removed in one sitting a few years back. I remember the dentist driving a chisel down one because it was damn hard to remove. Didn't hurt at all right after and I actually drove back to work after. It did hurt when the anesthesia wore off, but I actually felt fine couple of days after.

Well yeah, but you had calamansi as part of your recovery diet. Where can I cop?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Well yeah, but you had calamansi as part of your recovery diet. Where can I cop?

Nah, no calamansi. Just a glass of Johnnie Black like Wilson Brother's girl's father used to do.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was given codeine.. I dont know what that is (well its a painkiller, dont know how strong its supposed to be ..but sometimes it works and soemtiems it doesnt) and antibiotics

hopefully the vicodin will ake the weekend worthwhile ahah

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Nah, no calamansi. Just a glass of Johnnie Black like Wilson Brother's girl's father used to do.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

For ol' times sake, I heard sneaking into your gf's apartment closet for a few hours while she was talking with friends was a quicker way to recovery.

Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I was given codeine.. I dont know what that is (well its a painkiller, dont know how strong its supposed to be ..but sometimes it works and soemtiems it doesnt) and antibiotics

hopefully the vicodin will ake the weekend worthwhile ahah

Codeine isn't bad, but vicodin, oxy, perc, etc. is the highlight reel. I'll stop before sound more and more like House.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha house is the man though

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had all four removed at once...really wasn't that bad. Take a couple days off afterwards and don't overdo it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you already have an infection make SURE you take antibiotics after you have them pulled. You should already be on them prior to going in. Unfortunately I listened to the oral surgeon who removed mine, he said I didn't need antibiotics. The results of that idiotic recommendation were truly awful. I got a severe infection, and could not open my mouth more than a few millimeters for over a week. The pain was freaking incredible. Save yourself that.

I hear dry socket really sucks too, so pay attention to the recommendations your doc will make to avoid that.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like this is the hot surgery to get at the mo.

My gf just had hers removed on Monday. She was out for the whole proceedure and was tired the first day. She had nothing to eat or drink for the first 24 hours, because she was still frozen up. Afterwards, she took Tylenol 3 w/ codeine but today I suggested she switch to ibuprofen since it's an anti-inflamitory and the pain wasn't that bad. Her face is swollen quite a bit - very funny to look at. Diet so far is smoothies, soups, yogurts, congee, protein shakes, and other easy to swallow/no chewing required foods.

I had mine done about 10 years ago. I was doped up for 2 weeks, drooling and everything. My pain was a lot more intense. My jaw locked after 3 days, and I mumbled over those 2 weeks. The operation was even worse for me. I woke up half way through, and they were drilling away at my mouth because my teeth had to be removed in parts, not hole. I didn't get my sockets stitched up, they were left open and I had to flush them out with water on a regular basis. My gf had hers stitched.

The best part though was being under the gas. What a riot. I talked about owning a golf course on the moon, and had a pretty fucked up dream similar to the Yellow Submarine cartoon. Everything else sucked worse than being blown by somebody with long teeth.

What's up with everybody being given antibiotics? I wasn't on any of that! Just codeine for the pain. Who, I doubt you need vicodin/percocet or anything stronger than T3s, unless those stop working.

Good luck!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ask for percocet, that stuff is great (if one is in pain). Also, make sure they numb you really well, or better yet, put you to sleep. When I had mine taken out, all 4 of them, I made sure I was numb, but looking back at it, since it took so damn long, I would have liked to be sleeping through the whole process. And oh yeah, afterwards it hurt like no tomorrow, especially after the initial numbness wore off. I think I was back to normal 3 days later...

Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had mine out, two and then two a few months later. the first two were nothing - I hardly had any pain, and was out drinking that night. the second two I was in bed for 3 days. different dentists. good luck.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to an OMFS to have mine removed. He gave me a pretty good anesthesia cocktail (demerol and a benzodiazepine were involved), pumped my jaw full of local, and then removed all four. It was my first time under anesthesia and I was actually kind of excited about experiencing that, so I think that mindset was beneficial.

I was also prescribed a good amount of hydrocodone, but I only ended up taking about ten total. First day I took two at a time, second day one at a time, third day one before bed. By the end of the first day I was eating soft solid food. I think I was eating normally by the third day. I had mine yanked on a Friday morning so I had the entire weekend to recover and sleep. I slept a lot and healing was quick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads