or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread - Page 606

post #9076 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxRacer View Post
 

No. I want them to fix the two bad pair. If they don't want to do that then I want to be refunded for the entire order to pay me for the waste of time and money. 

 

First part reasonable.  Second part not.  Simple as that.  You can blather all you want trying to justify it.

 

On the color point though, shell colors have been getting darker - the latest Cigar and Color 8 from Alden are much darker than they have been in the past.  I'm guessing the reason we haven't seen Whiskey or Ravello shell from Alden is this darkened pattern from Horween.  That isn't really in control of AE.

 

So is it black or really dark brown?  Frankly, I could see how you wouldn't want really dark brown if you're expecting something lighter, but that is how things go with shell cordovan.  Consistency isn't something thats shell has been known for recently, though it does seem right that as an MTO they'd give you a heads up on the darkness vs. previous shades. 

 

You've got more shell experience than I do, but what I've tried on and what I've heard is that it tends to run tighter since the leather doesn't stretch as much during lasting.  Hard to say what they can do to fix it if they don't have more shell.


Edited by M635Guy - 2/21/16 at 6:10pm
post #9077 of 9368

Just to pile on: agree that it's not reasonable to expect those shoes for free. They'll take them all back and even pay shipping if you ask. They have always been more than reasonable.


Edited by Dario65 - 2/21/16 at 8:33pm
post #9078 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxRacer View Post
 

No. I want them to fix the two bad pair. If they don't want to do that then I want to be refunded for the entire order to pay me for the waste of time and money. This is the only way to improve their process. They sent me a pair of Yorktown shoes that were two completely different colors and finishes! That is unacceptable for a custom made shoe! They sent me a boot that was supposed to be 12E and is 12D AND is black not brown. I ordered brown I expect brown. When I took the shoes into the store to complain and return they gave me a song and dance about how sometimes brown is black, etc. I have FOUR other pair of AE brown cordovans so I know what to expect. I also know what unacceptable is. I also didn't even get into how both pair of shoes had mismatched punch holes, etc. They threw my order together in a shabby slap dash way and it isn't fair of them to send me substandard product and think that that a partial refund should be compensation enough. Period.  Which btw they are probably going to simply fix the shoes as I requested. Which is what I want. I am simply, as a courtesy, giving them another option. Which is more than fair when 2/3 rds of an order is messed up you comp the order for the customer. Has no one here ever owned a business that sells real products or a restaurant? 

 

Of course not.

When I go to a restaurant and they mess up one of my orders, I expect them to comp my entire meal instead of fixing or refunding the one item that was messed up!

 

Your logic is pretty hilarious actually.

post #9079 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxRacer View Post

No. I want them to fix the two bad pair. If they don't want to do that then I want to be refunded for the entire order to pay me for the waste of time and money. This is the only way to improve their process. They sent me a pair of Yorktown shoes that were two completely different colors and finishes! That is unacceptable for a custom made shoe! They sent me a boot that was supposed to be 12E and is 12D AND is black not brown. I ordered brown I expect brown. When I took the shoes into the store to complain and return they gave me a song and dance about how sometimes brown is black, etc. I have FOUR other pair of AE brown cordovans so I know what to expect. I also know what unacceptable is. I also didn't even get into how both pair of shoes had mismatched punch holes, etc. They threw my order together in a shabby slap dash way and it isn't fair of them to send me substandard product and think that that a partial refund should be compensation enough. Period.  Which btw they are probably going to simply fix the shoes as I requested. Which is what I want. I am simply, as a courtesy, giving them another option. Which is more than fair when 2/3 rds of an order is messed up you comp the order for the customer. Has no one here ever owned a business that sells real products or a restaurant? 

Thank you for confirming that you are truly living in a fantasy land.
post #9080 of 9368
One last thing for sizing - please tell me that you know your other shell AE shoes are in the same last and/or you worked with an AE SA before ordering such expensive shoes....

My experience is that even within the same last you can have considerations that might change your sizing. For example, I'm a perfect 11.5D in the 5-last, but in captoe bals (Rush St, Strand, etc.) I go to an 11.5E... For a special-order shell cordovan shoe, I'd definitely sit down with a good SA and a Braddock device and make sure of the sizing, trying on calf examples...
post #9081 of 9368

Brown shell Bradleys ready to meet the world:

 

SVaiPEz.jpg

post #9082 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

Brown shell Bradleys ready to meet the world:

 

SVaiPEz.jpg

Wow, I never knew Bardleys are so b'ful. That's an awesome shot , will definitely help AE sell one extra pair !!

post #9083 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post
 

Wow, I never knew Bardleys are so b'ful. That's an awesome shot , will definitely help AE sell one extra pair !!


Agreed. I think they fly under peoples' radars because the web site photos look so blah. but the hand stitch is very well done.

post #9084 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

Brown shell Bradleys ready to meet the world:

 

SVaiPEz.jpg

 

Looks great!

 

What pants are those?

post #9085 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

 

Looks great!

 

What pants are those?


BB 1818 Milano fits (all wool). 

 

Thanks, all. These shoes are like Heidi Klum. Any camera/any angle and still look great, ha!

post #9086 of 9368
Anyone hear any rumors of another round of a shell MTO open window?
post #9087 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 


Agreed. I think they fly under peoples' radars because the web site photos look so blah. but the hand stitch is very well done.

That's exactly what I've been doing. Could not imagine wanting those in shell based on the web pics. These are great looking. 

post #9088 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario65 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 


Agreed. I think they fly under peoples' radars because the web site photos look so blah. but the hand stitch is very well done.

That's exactly what I've been doing. Could not imagine wanting those in shell based on the web pics. These are great looking. 

agree with above - I picked up a pair used that just got back from recrafting and ooking forward to wearing them

post #9089 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Of course not.


When I go to a restaurant and they mess up one of my orders, I expect them to comp my entire meal instead of fixing or refunding the one item that was messed up!

Your logic is pretty hilarious actually.
I don't think he's that out of line. Using your restaurant example, if they messed up 2/3 of your party's food and they didn't get it right until everyone else was done eating, simply fixing or refunding 2/3 wouldn't provide you with a good experience. Would you be owed an additional free meal for your time? Perhaps not. But if you aren't shown some gesture to account for their mistake (incompetence?) and your time/inconvenience, you might not go back. And, you might tell a lot of other potential customers that there is a 67% chance their order gets screwed up. If I'm the restaurant owner, your next visit is on the house so I can show my best. And I'd do everything I could to make sure I showed well for that next visit and everyone else's because giving away food isn't my business.
post #9090 of 9368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post


I don't think he's that out of line. Using your restaurant example, if they messed up 2/3 of your party's food and they didn't get it right until everyone else was done eating, simply fixing or refunding 2/3 wouldn't provide you with a good experience. Would you be owed an additional free meal for your time? Perhaps not. But if you aren't shown some gesture to account for their mistake (incompetence?) and your time/inconvenience, you might not go back. And, you might tell a lot of other potential customers that there is a 67% chance their order gets screwed up. If I'm the restaurant owner, your next visit is on the house so I can show my best. And I'd do everything I could to make sure I showed well for that next visit and everyone else's because giving away food isn't my business.

 

I understand your point, but honestly (A) I'm not 100% convinced he's being fully accurate or reasonable in his complaints, at least as a whole.  For example, LOTS of folks are complaining in the Alden world about the darkening of shell colors (#8/Cigar - Cigar especially looks almost black to my eye) and the lack of the lighter colors (Whiskey/Ravello).  The folks who have been around for a while (not to mention Nick Horween himself) are saying "That is the nature of shell - it is a variable."  There are other areas of his beefs (e.g. sizing) that seem to be opportunities for "user error" as much as a fault of AE.  Notice he's posted no pictures at all. (B) I'd say fairness might be a sizable discount on a future purchase or on the boots he keeps.  Not free boots.  Sheesh.  and (C) I think he's unlikely to be a loyal customer going forward - they lose no matter what they do IMHO.

 

I've spent a lot of time in sales and working with customers, and you can generally tell the customers who are just looking for a reason to be dissatisfied and then leverage the situation to get something for nothing.  He reeks of it.  I'm not saying he doesn't have some potentially valid reasons to be unhappy (the color variation between two shoes is the only thing he's mentioned where he isn't at least part of the variable), nor am I saying AE shouldn't attempt to do what is right and reasonable, but his manner and tone tells me all I need to know.  

 

I travel a lot - well over 100K miles a year in the air - and I see lots of folks like him screaming and yelling when things go wrong, and I wonder if they realize how much better people fare who tend to approach things calmly, with a reasonable tone and fair requests.

 

Anyway...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread