Allison told me it was dead.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandAllen Edmonds Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- itemAllen Edmonds Byrontagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Cordovan Dundeetagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Bucktown Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Catskill Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Coppell Slip-Ontagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Lucca Loafertagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Urbino Tassel Loafertagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15
- itemAllen Edmonds Weybridge Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 2/17/15More
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc Last post on 1/10/17 at 1:09pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread - Page 578post #8657 of 940210/15/15 at 5:08pmpost #8658 of 940210/15/15 at 5:55pmpost #8659 of 940210/15/15 at 6:49pm
Well that's unfortunate. Are there any other manufacturers that will ever get natural shell? Possibly in other names? I know Carmina has a cognac, but I was to understand that's a little darker than Natural. Writing off Alden as a pipe dream, given what I've heard about their other color shell availability. I've vaguely recall hearing long ago that St. Crispins uses Horween shell, can anyone confirm? Ugh. I have a feeling this next purchase is going to cost even more than I was anticipating.post #8660 of 940210/15/15 at 7:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by CGKIII
Well that's unfortunate. Are there any other manufacturers that will ever get natural shell? Possibly in other names? I know Carmina has a cognac, but I was to understand that's a little darker than Natural. Writing off Alden as a pipe dream, given what I've heard about their other color shell availability. I've vaguely recall hearing long ago that St. Crispins uses Horween shell, can anyone confirm? Ugh. I have a feeling this next purchase is going to cost even more than I was anticipating.
Rancourt has natural shell.post #8661 of 940210/15/15 at 10:12pmpost #8662 of 940210/16/15 at 4:25amQuote:Originally Posted by JSO1
Originally Posted by JSO1 (Click to show)The whole "shell shortage" thing actually started in 2008/2009, and was particularly bad through about 2014 (the 2013 IKEA horsemeat scandal didn't help). My understanding is that the supply is actually going back up. It's not really a "new" phenomenon.
The thing about the trunk show, though, is that only one of the AE offerings (natural) is actually a "rare" shell. Natural shells have to be basically perfect ("clear") to be used, whereas darker shells (like the other AE offerings - Deep Dark Brown, Navy, and Dark Green) are much easier to produce, since they can dye over any imperfections in the shells.
Obviously, diverting production from normal shell colors like #8, Black, and Dark Cognac (the top three shell colors in terms of production), leads to somewhat of a shortage, but my sense is that Horween is making plenty of shells - still not as many as in the glory days of horsemeat consumption, but more than they have in recent years. The problem is that the demand for shell cordovan shoes has increased year after year.
Brown shell cordovan shoes are still very easy to acquire. The issue with AE is that they have suspended their MTO program indefinitely, as @garland mentioned. There are other makers (Vass, Crockett & Jones, and Enzo Bonafe, to name a few) that should be able to make an MTO shoe for you in some shade of brown shell. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until AE resumes its MTO program.
Yes, quite. By the "shortage" last year, I mean that it was other and smaller customers being told that there wasn't enough shell around. And the only unusual circumstance last year was AE's buying a shit load of extra shells. Even with the odd colours, it might not be more difficult, but it's a "SMU" to be made up by Horween nevertheless, different dye vats, different finishes, more time, etc. etc.
Anyway, back to the point: I hope AE get their MTO/SMU system back and give us a process for some more SF orders. But I'm also hoping that the delay and the lack of another shell trunk show, means that the likes of Carmina and other smaller companies can get more supplies and ramp up their own shell offerings again. I know Vass had a decent selection when I was there a few months ago, but even they were finding shells via UK and Italian merchants rather than direct from Horween at that point.post #8663 of 940210/16/15 at 6:09pmpost #8664 of 940210/17/15 at 11:30ampost #8665 of 940210/18/15 at 11:46am
As a boot guy, I love this season.
2014 MTO Bourbon Daltons, medallion-delete, rubber Vibram, Independent collection lining. Recently black polished these.
Caught a chill last nite;
2014 MTO Chili austerity Daltons;
no perforations, rubber Vibram, independence collection lining.
These have only been wiped & brushed.
2014 MTO black shell Ashtons, stock except "Handcrafted Especially for <Jzrhwinnj>"
This was my first and only personalized pair before MTO rules began to tighten.
Edited by jzrhwinnj - 10/20/15 at 5:26ampost #8666 of 940210/21/15 at 8:09ampost #8667 of 940210/21/15 at 8:58amSomeone here post those gorgeous dundees on ebay?
I'd snatch em if I was a bigger fan of the natural edging and welt.post #8668 of 940210/21/15 at 10:36ampost #8669 of 940210/21/15 at 11:02ampost #8670 of 940210/21/15 at 11:02am
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 30 seconds ago
- › ***SW&D Photography Thread*** 1 minute ago
- › DROP: Vass Double Monk in Brown Calf, U Last Size 43 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on french cuffs for a young lawyer 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...