or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread - Page 55

post #811 of 3201

Hi folks, much appreciate any input from the enablers in this thread regarding my next MTO. I'm planning a trip to Italy this fall and I plan on doing a lot of walking, probably about 8-10hrs per day. I've been looking at my current shoe line up and apart from my New Balance trainers and Converse Jack Purcells, the only shoes I feel will allow me to walk that much comfortably are my tan chukkamok with vibram gumlite rubber sole, chili Carson City boots w/ white harrier sole, and probably to a lesser extent the grey Aberdeen with the mini lug sole. 

 

The problem I have with these shoes are they aren't very versatile either because of their color (grey) and/or design (long wing chukka, thick white rubber sole). I'd like to have a more versatile shoe with a forgiving sole that I can wear with jeans, chinos and cords. Dainite is out since I dont think it has enough give for really long walks (I'll probably be carrying my 2yo son quite a bit too).

 

I was thinking of either getting a MacNeil or Black Hills in natural CXL with natural welt and red vibram gumlite sole. My current preference is the red gumlite sole, but concerned that it will again limit the pant-shoe combination I can use it with. Also concerned that natural CXL will be too light and that golden brown CXL might be the better option. That said it will be casual show thus it shouldnt matter that much. For background info I will most likely bring the walnut strand, burgundy EC and navy suede grayson too.

 

Much appreciate any input. Here are the rest of my shoes to provide more background info.

 

Walnut Strand with V-tread tap soles

Tan Chukkamok

Elgin

Tan suede Amok

Navy Harbour

Navy suede Grayson with JR soles

Grey Aberdeen

BB chili grain MacNeils

Chili Carson City

Burgundy Eagle County with black Dainite

Navy Eagle Country with black Dainite

Tan waxy saddle Eagle County with mini-lug tap soles

Brown CXL Rothsay with mini-lug tap soles

Brogue Suede Grayson with red Dainite (in production)

Chili Grain Lexington with v-tread tap sole (in production)

post #812 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Hi folks, much appreciate any input from the enablers in this thread regarding my next MTO. I'm planning a trip to Italy this fall and I plan on doing a lot of walking, probably about 8-10hrs per day. I've been looking at my current shoe line up and apart from my New Balance trainers and Converse Jack Purcells, the only shoes I feel will allow me to walk that much comfortably are my tan chukkamok with vibram gumlite rubber sole, chili Carson City boots w/ white harrier sole, and probably to a lesser extent the grey Aberdeen with the mini lug sole. 

The problem I have with these shoes are they aren't very versatile either because of their color (grey) and/or design (long wing chukka, thick white rubber sole). I'd like to have a more versatile shoe with a forgiving sole that I can wear with jeans, chinos and cords. Dainite is out since I dont think it has enough give for really long walks (I'll probably be carrying my 2yo son quite a bit too).

I was thinking of either getting a MacNeil or Black Hills in natural CXL with natural welt and red vibram gumlite sole. My current preference is the red gumlite sole, but concerned that it will again limit the pant-shoe combination I can use it with. Also concerned that natural CXL will be too light and that golden brown CXL might be the better option. That said it will be casual show thus it shouldnt matter that much. For background info I will most likely bring the walnut strand, burgundy EC and navy suede grayson too.

Much appreciate any input. Here are the rest of my shoes to provide more background info.

Walnut Strand with V-tread tap soles

Tan Chukkamok
Elgin
Tan suede Amok
Navy Harbour
Navy suede Grayson with JR soles
Grey Aberdeen
BB chili grain MacNeils
Chili Carson City
Burgundy Eagle County with black Dainite
Navy Eagle Country with black Dainite
Tan waxy saddle Eagle County with mini-lug tap soles
Brown CXL Rothsay with mini-lug tap soles
Brogue Suede Grayson with red Dainite (in production)
Chili Grain Lexington with v-tread tap sole (in production)

Having been to Italy a bunch of times unless you are doing limited walking and fashion sense a priority for dinners...forget just going with an AE shoe IMHO...the only shoes from AE that I would even think of wearing for the daily huge walks would be the Traveler or on of AE other ugliesh Euro Styled Shoes. They are super comfy and would work. If I had to go with an AE regular line go with something like a Banchory and fit it with an ortho insole and v tread or one of the rubber soles. The unlined soft leather is super comfy.
post #813 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post


Having been to Italy a bunch of times unless you are doing limited walking and fashion sense a priority for dinners...forget just going with an AE shoe IMHO...the only shoes from AE that I would even think of wearing for the daily huge walks would be the Traveler or on of AE other ugliesh Euro Styled Shoes. They are super comfy and would work. If I had to go with an AE regular line go with something like a Banchory and fit it with an ortho insole and v tread or one of the rubber soles. The unlined soft leather is super comfy.

Thanks Kahuna75 for the input. For the really looong walks, Ill probably wear my white leather jack purcells. But since I shouldn't wear the same shoe on consecutive days, I would like another comfortable walking shoe that hopefully looks nice as well (yes, the voyager is out based on that criteria). I'd like to look reasonably nice when I walk into shops for a bit of shopping.

 

I agree with the banchory, they use the same leather as the chukkamok and they are indeed buttery soft. I dont think the v-tread tap sole it uses will be the right sole for walking though as its still heavy when compared to rubber soles. Thanks for the idea of going unlined for more comfort.

 

For the nice dinners, I will probably wear the Strands or EC.

post #814 of 3201

MacNeil 5!

 

 

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

 

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

 

post #815 of 3201
speaking of bowing...

some of my 5-last bow at the ankles and some doesn't at all. Is this due to the type of material used?
post #816 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

MacNeil 5!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

 

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

 

 

Looking great!

post #817 of 3201

My first MTO finally arrived!

 

Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 

 

 

These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.

post #818 of 3201
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

MacNeil 5!




The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?



Looks lovely half x 3! Makes me more excited for my natty cxl ones!
post #819 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

My first MTO finally arrived!

 

Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.

they are beautiful

post #820 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

My first MTO finally arrived!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 





These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.
Wow. So mad I missed out on these. Congrats, Opto.
post #821 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

My first MTO finally arrived!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 






These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.


👌
Edited by wonsmithr8 - 4/28/14 at 8:22am
post #822 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

they are beautiful

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Wow. So mad I missed out on these. Congrats, Opto.

 

Much appreciated guys.

post #823 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

My first MTO finally arrived!

 

Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.

 

Holy guacamole!

post #824 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

MacNeil 5!




The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?


Looks lovely half x 3! Makes me more excited for my natty cxl ones!

 

I definitely want to see those natties.

post #825 of 3201

What do you guys think of the Mora 2.0 in Walnut or Merlot? Trying to put together a poorman's Carmina Salinger.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread