• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AEs are not doing it for me. Where can I turn for comfort?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I just started interning in a law firm in NYC and I bought a pair of AE Troys to wear day-to-day. The job requires a LOT more running around Manhattan than I expected and even though the AEs are comfortable and well fitting I was wondering whether there is a similarly (or cheaper) priced shoe that will provide similar conservative style but more comfort for walking.

I want to serve subpoenas in style, not in pain.

Thanks!

atroopan

Reaction score
Mephisto makes some really comfortable shoes - but may be considered "butt-ugly" by most forum denizens. I have a pair of Abels I wear quite a bit and I love em

troop

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Hi all. I just started interning in a law firm in NYC and I bought a pair of AE Troys to wear day-to-day. The job requires a LOT more running around Manhattan than I expected and even though the AEs are comfortable and well fitting I was wondering whether there is a similarly (or cheaper) priced shoe that will provide similar conservative style but more comfort for walking.

junk the leather soled shoes and get something with a rubber sole - the AE stockbridge, or mephistos.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give them time. If they are the corect size... u will break them in. How long have u had them?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
Give them time. If they are the corect size... u will break them in. How long have u had them?

i don't think so - the OP is running around manhattan serving subpoenas. if there is actual running or more than 5 miles of walking involved, the rubber soles need to come out.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NoVAguy... i understand the point... but

I have done the same thing in manhattan. U don't walk/run more than 5 miles in manhattan to do anything.

Learn the tubes, stay in the trenches.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use the tubes but there is still lots of walking. I also like to take the subway to random parts of the city after work and just walk around for a bit. I don't currently have a regular workout regimen so if I am sent to locations which are a few blocks apart from each other I'll walk just to get some exercise.

I think I'll check out those rubber soled AEs and Aldens. I also looked at some Havana Joes, a brand I've been really happy with in the past, but their shoes have been getting uglier and uglier.

Thanks again everyone.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
NoVAguy... i understand the point... but

I have done the same thing in manhattan. U don't walk/run more than 5 miles in manhattan to do anything.

Learn the tubes, stay in the trenches.

see the op's post above.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I truly, truly don't understand some people's insistence that leather soles are just as comfortable for walking as rubber ones. First, if that were the case, there would be leather-soled athletic shoes. There are not. Second, if that were the case, podiatrists would not be recommending people with foot, knee, ankle, hip, or back problems switch away from leather soles to rubber ones; but they are. Third -- and this is the most important thing of all -- if the OP has given it a good try and says they are not comfortable, who are we to insist that he is mistaken? Some of us may be comfortable in leather soles all day -- I am if I'm not doing too much walking on hard surfaces -- but that doesn't mean everybody is the same.

Angelicboris (I'm not doing the cap/small thing), those who have recommended rubber soles are absolutely correct. Both AE and Alden make great ones in conservative styles that would suit your needs very nicely. Some European companies do too, but they can be pretty spendy over here. Good luck.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've found so far. All are rubber soled. Alden
ALD_m_Straight_Tip_Blucher_Calfskin_9561S.jpg
Johnston & Murphy (made in Italy, welted)
3832-281725-p.jpg
AE Perry
allen193889_73361_jb.jpg
Talk about conservative... All range between $200-$305. Any experience or opinions? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads