or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum - Page 20

post #286 of 2070
anyone wanna talk about the fits that were posted? tongue.gif
post #287 of 2070

All I can say is that chocsosa's and Clag's suits fits flawlessly. The theme in the most recent batch seems to be wide lapels and 3 piece suits. 

post #288 of 2070
post #289 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

anyone wanna talk about the fits that were posted? tongue.gif

 

Alright, I want to talk about Pingson's shoe choice in his first fit (sorry I'm having trouble quoting it atm).

 

Pingson went with cream trousers and dark brown shoes. The contrast is fairly jarring. I believe SB also posted a fit recently where he made a similar decision.

 

I have always based my shoe selection on my trouser color in such a way to be close enough without matching. If you imagine colors being light, medium, and dark generally I aim for my shoes being 1 step away from my pants.

 

Light pants take medium shoes

Medium pants take light or dark shoes

Dark pants take medium shoes

 

This is an overly simplistic rule of thumb that I use and there are plenty of exceptions, but I roughly try to follow this guideline to get an idea at least.

 

Is Pingson's choice here suboptimal? SB mentioned a dark tie balancing dark shoes; is there some sort of high contrast up top, high contrast on bottom idea at play here? Others' thoughts?

post #290 of 2070
^ I think he cut off the last batch earlier than those were posted.

BTW, do you guys think this thread might actually influence the overall quality of fits posted in WAYWRN? I mean, people can look at this thread and get a general idea of stuff that seem to work (at least according to SF standards) and then knowingly or subconsciously incorporate that in their own getups
post #291 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Ahem, Stitchy:
IM A COMPLETE MORAN!!!

did you just go full retard on me? the groupings are chronological. each one picking up where the previous one left off. my group ended 4/4/14. your fits are from 4/7 and 4/8, 2014. they will get posted when those dates are covered. yeesh

<3

please, anyone who has noticed their fit is not here, keep the above in mind. check the damn dates!!!!
post #292 of 2070
So do I need to hire a relative to bump my last fit from 19 to 20?

Lol@sugarbutch
post #293 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

^ I think he cut off the last batch earlier than those were posted.

YAY!! EFV HAS A BRAIN!!!!

not that there was any question about that.
Quote:
BTW, do you guys think this thread might actually influence the overall quality of fits posted in WAYWRN? I mean, people can look at this thread and get a general idea of stuff that seem to work (at least according to SF standards) and then knowingly or subconsciously incorporate that in their own getups

i would hope so. to me that is, or should be, one of the purposes of this thread. to learn and understand, through the pics and the discussions.

--

l2b - i hear ya, but i dont subscribe to that. i have no issue with shoes being much lighter or darker than the trousers or suit. yes, it is jarring, but i think it can be jarring in a good and coherent way. some people dont like it (HF for the most part, and apparently you) and some do (me and apparently P and SB). it can often be more of a person preference towards aesthetics than a hard and fast rule, imo.

curious what others have to say on this.
post #294 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

So do I need to hire a relative to bump my last fit from 19 to 20?

Lol@sugarbutch

link me. if i have not thumbed it, i will if i like it and i wont if i dont. your call!

i think clags will not like this being dome though.
post #295 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


i would hope so. to me that is, or should be, one of the purposes of this thread. to learn and understand, through the pics and the discussions.

Well, just wondering since I get the notion there's an increase in really good fits lately.
post #296 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


YAY!! EFV HAS A BRAIN!!!!

not that there was any question about that.
i would hope so. to me that is, or should be, one of the purposes of this thread. to learn and understand, through the pics and the discussions.

--

l2b - i hear ya, but i dont subscribe to that. i have no issue with shoes being much lighter or darker than the trousers or suit. yes, it is jarring, but i think it can be jarring in a good and coherent way. some people dont like it (HF for the most part, and apparently you) and some do (me and apparently P and SB). it can often be more of a person preference towards aesthetics than a hard and fast rule, imo.

curious what others have to say on this.

 

Light suit with dark shoes looks much better than dark suit with light shoes. For example, tan shoes with a navy suit looks absolutely abysmal, while dark brown/black shoes with a light grey suit can look quite good.

post #297 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Well, just wondering since I get the notion there's an increase in really good fits lately.

hopefully this thread can take some of the credit. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Light suit with dark shoes looks much better than dark suit with light shoes. For example, tan shoes with a navy suit looks absolutely abysmal, while dark brown/black shoes with a light grey suit can look quite good.

see, i do not agree with that. i love tan shoes with a navy suit with the right shirt and tie. super jarring, but i can like it if i feel the fit on a whole is cool.
post #298 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


hopefully this thread can take some of the credit. smile.gif
see, i do not agree with that. i love tan shoes with a navy suit with the right shirt and tie. super jarring, but i can like it if i feel the fit on a whole is cool.

 

It just doesn't make any sense from a formality standpoint. It's doubly worse if you wear heavily brogued tan shoes with a plain navy suit. 

post #299 of 2070
Certainly all the items need to make sense together, but I do not think that it is by definition bad.

As a matter of fact, I think that I will do something like this next week just to see how it goes.
post #300 of 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Certainly all the items need to make sense together, but I do not think that it is by definition bad.

As a matter of fact, I think that I will do something like this next week just to see how it goes.

 

I'm looking forward to the post. Hope you manage to pull it off!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum