or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum - Page 28

post #406 of 1155
20+,30+,40+,50+, it doesn't matter. People are dressing better and anybody is free to criticize entries that they feel is not deserving. @Clags, What happened to the curated thread anyways?
post #407 of 1155
I feel bad for putting mine up. Feel like I ruined the thread. We should just let the OP put up the batches.
post #408 of 1155
In hindsight, Clags might have named this the MC Consensus Thread or Hive Mind Thread, leaving the criteria ambiguous. I'm certain someone would have figured out the threshold for inclusion, but with some handwaving and obfuscation, I bet he could have kept up the smokescreen for a while.

Anyway, here we are. I suggest that Clags ban any future fits which for which the poster has lobbied for thumbs. This will align incentives and with the desired outcome.
post #409 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

In hindsight, Clags might have named this the MC Consensus Thread or Hive Mind Thread, leaving the criteria ambiguous. I'm certain someone would have figured out the threshold for inclusion, but with some handwaving and obfuscation, I bet he could have kept up the smokescreen for a while.

Anyway, here we are. I suggest that Clags ban any future fits which for which the poster has lobbied for thumbs. This will align incentives and with the desired outcome.

Ah come on! If you couldn't see the humour in my post, then I'm sorry, I should've made it more evident. It was due to the slagging I got earlier in the week re: the loud ties. My looks were torn apart! So I wasn't "lobbying" for thumbs. If I was, I would've been PM-ing everyone! :sly: 

post #410 of 1155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

In hindsight, Clags might have named this the MC Consensus Thread or Hive Mind Thread, leaving the criteria ambiguous. I'm certain someone would have figured out the threshold for inclusion, but with some handwaving and obfuscation, I bet he could have kept up the smokescreen for a while.

Anyway, here we are. I suggest that Clags ban any future fits which for which the poster has lobbied for thumbs. This will align incentives and with the desired outcome.

Well, the whole idea about making the methodology open is so that others could compile the lists. For a while Stitchy was helping in earnest, and a few others, were contributing. But now it's just me. I don't mind. But perhaps you're right.

 

As far as the second point, I agree.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Maybe it's time for a 30+ thread?:-)


I don't want to do this for two reasons. One, there are only a handful of posters who are capable of posting more than one 30+ fit a month, so it would quickly become a Best Of: TTO, Timo, Stitchy, Butler, Pingson, Braddock, EFV, and Claghorn (probably some I'm missing). That's a pretty limited field and wouldn't really showcase a healthy variety.

 

Also, the nice thing about the 20+ threshold is the wide ranger of fit types that can get included. I talk a lot about execution and direction. At 30+, very few directions would make the cut, regardless of execution. 20, you'll have a great variety. AAS's recent fit is a wonderful example of this. Some good Crusty and Holdfast fits hit the 20+ mark and represent a direction that few people really pursue, so it's worthwhile to preserve.

 

Still, such an idea was the motivation behind the Best of Best of thread I started a while back, wherein posters chose their favorite fits from this thread.

post #411 of 1155
It's interesting to be the outlier (or sartorial outlaw, on occasion). I'm pleased when I get thumbs up, but rarely does the number go to 20 or above, but often in the 10+ range, which I think is just fine - more than fine, actually. I realize that my style isn't everyone's cup of tea (to say the least), but it's pleasant when it gets acknowledged in a positive way.
post #412 of 1155
Thread Starter 
I have long considered you the James Dean of StyFo due to your rebellious ways.
post #413 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I have long considered you the James Dean of StyFo due to your rebellious ways.

Oh,,yes, that's me - "Rebel without a Clue".
post #414 of 1155

If Crusty hasn't got a 20+ yet then he's due. His looks are also so refined and elegant, and perfect for a man of his age. The odd new thing like the tie pin might jar with some people, but for the most part his is a classically stylish look.

post #415 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

If Crusty hasn't got a 20+ yet then he's due. His looks are also so refined and elegant, and perfect for a man of his age. The odd new thing like the tie pin might jar with some people, but for the most part his is a classically stylish look.

Fret not - I've gotten a couple of 20+ thumbs up, and yes, the details of my "looks" are very retro - much like their owner smile.gif.
post #416 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

It's interesting to be the outlier (or sartorial outlaw, on occasion). I'm pleased when I get thumbs up, but rarely does the number go to 20 or above, but often in the 10+ range, which I think is just fine - more than fine, actually. I realize that my style isn't everyone's cup of tea (to say the least), but it's pleasant when it gets acknowledged in a positive way.

 

I like every of your outfits much more than most of the 20+ thumbs outfits you can see here. 

Every single outift from you is authentic and I can see your style. Many others with more thumbs are trying to copy other styles (Much blogger blue outfits) and forget to devolpe an own individual style. 

When I look at the most outfits, I can see a blue sports coat, a light blue shirt, a brown grenadine tie, grey flanell trousers...

When I look at your outfits, I can see a gentleman in the best age, who has a dignified aura and the clothes shows this.

post #417 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

In hindsight, Clags might have named this the MC Consensus Thread or Hive Mind Thread, leaving the criteria ambiguous. I'm certain someone would have figured out the threshold for inclusion, but with some handwaving and obfuscation, I bet he could have kept up the smokescreen for a while.


Anyway, here we are. I suggest that Clags ban any future fits which for which the poster has lobbied for thumbs. This will align incentives and with the desired outcome.

Ah come on! If you couldn't see the humour in my post, then I'm sorry, I should've made it more evident. It was due to the slagging I got earlier in the week re: the loud ties. My looks were torn apart! So I wasn't "lobbying" for thumbs. If I was, I would've been PM-ing everyone! sly.gif  


I wasn't complaining about you, etb, just trying to help Clags get the thread he wants. If you recall, I did a bit of subtle lobbying myself—spoilered, of course, because I'm a gentleman. smile.gif
post #418 of 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post


Fret not - I've gotten a couple of 20+ thumbs up, and yes, the details of my "looks" are very retro - much like their owner smile.gif.

UC is by far the best dressed gentleman that posts regularly on this forum. He puts so much effort and forethought in how he dresses and it shows. 

post #419 of 1155

Those who know it can recognize the opening of Beethoven’s Eroica Symphony just from the attack of the first chord, and one can recognize a work of Vermeer as such even if all one can see is a tiny fragment of the canvas showing the portrayal of sunlight through a window.

 

Similarly there are contributors to the WAYWRN thread who are so clearly focused on how they want to look that one would know who they are even if looking at only a very small portion of their fit.  Upr_crust is one.  And I could recognize Claghorn just by looking at the collar buttoning of his shirt.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


Edited by Academic2 - 4/17/14 at 6:54pm
post #420 of 1155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 And I could recognize Claghorn just by looking at the collar buttoning of his shirt.

 

:sneaky2:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum