Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WTB: The Armoury Ascot Chang Long sleeved Polo Sz Small Last post on Yesterday at 1:46 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- New Added**Brooks Brothers USA Supima Cotton Oxford Cloth Button Downs, ESF, Slim, Regular,... Last post on Yesterday at 6:57 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- BNWT Versace, Versace, Versace Shirts Last post on 8/1/15 at 4:33pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- New Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece White Sea Island Cotton Shirt 16.5-33 Slim Last post on 7/31/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- rogue territory popover brown chambray size s preowned Last post on 7/31/15 at 12:25pm in Marketplace
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 48post #706 of 7157/30/15 at 9:15am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #707 of 7157/30/15 at 9:30ampost #708 of 7157/30/15 at 9:40amQuote:
Same here, I'm 95% tie-less.
However, it seems lots of others are happy and don't share my problems with PC collars sans-tie so, like I said, maybe it's me. That's why I'm hoping somebody with a similar experience can say "Yep - that fixed it!".post #709 of 7157/30/15 at 9:43amQuote:
Have you considered having a normal button placement but undoing two buttons? This typically allows the collar to stand up more, but the second button being undone doesn't cause your chest to "poke out." Essentially it looks the same as only undoing one button but with the added benefit of a better standing collar. I've read several articles on the matter, and looked up a few after your post as well. Maybe try that and see if it alleviates the issue at all?post #710 of 7157/30/15 at 9:59ampost #711 of 7157/30/15 at 11:40amQuote:Originally Posted by novaeagle
Have you considered having a normal button placement but undoing two buttons? This typically allows the collar to stand up more, but the second button being undone doesn't cause your chest to "poke out." Essentially it looks the same as only undoing one button but with the added benefit of a better standing collar. I've read several articles on the matter, and looked up a few after your post as well. Maybe try that and see if it alleviates the issue at all?
Yes, one of my PC shirts has the normal placement but it doesn't seem to make a difference regarding whether the collar collapses or not; whether I have 1 or two buttons open (and I can't really do two because of my man fur...) And, just so we're covering all bases, the shirts I compared them to have approximately the same placement with an eyeball measurement.
That's exactly what I was originally asking about, but got a bit lost conversation's progress...post #712 of 7157/30/15 at 3:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by razl
Can someone who has tried the new "stiff collar" option confirm whether it prevents collar collapse? I have gotten 2 PC shirts - one with a Roma and one with a Presidential - and both suffer from the collar collapsing to full flat under a jacket almost immediately when wearing.
I should note that one shirt has the original buttoning height while the second has the lower option, but both behave the same. Also, other shirts - Barba, Maz, Borrelli, etc. - don't exhibit this behavior when worn with the same jackets.
Honestly, it's what has stopped me dead in my tracks from buying any more. And the two that I do have are have seen rotation drop to null because of it.
Not trying to be overly critical, I'm willing to accept that maybe the PC construction just doesn't work for me; but I'm hoping that's not the case and willing to try again if I get some hope that it's worth rolling the dice.
No experience with the 'stiff' collars, but I have one thing to say - Milano II collar. Looks really bad without a jacket (I use button downs and, admittedly, some MII's with magnetic collar stays at times when not wearing one, but I'm almost always in a jacket); looks fantastic with a jacket and is the only one out of any of the collars I've tried (and I've tried a hefty amount of them, including the two you mention) that has enough length in the collar points and at the right angle to stand up perfectly straight.
This was a huge issue for me as well, and I didn't begin fully stocking up on PC shirts until I discovered the wonders of that collar... also, FWIW, I suggest you go with the lowered 0.5" top button with that collar, and not unbutton two buttons - the collar is quite high to begin with, and thus gives the illusion that more neck/chest is shown despite it not really being so, compared to a shorter collar at the same buttoning point.
Anyhow, had the exact same issue, bugged the hell out of me, and the MII solved it, so, hey, might be worth a shot.post #713 of 7157/30/15 at 6:27pmpost #714 of 7157/30/15 at 7:12pmThanks for the feedback novaeagle and AriG! Good to know I'm on the right track, will look at the sleeves and cuffs for my next order.
A few comments:
- I've been using the "full" armhole as opposed to the "tailored". I don't like it to be too tight in that area so thought that would be the better option for me.
- I've been told my shoulders are sloped when being measured for previous MTM jackets, so that's already incorporated.
- I don't think the chest feels too tight, I'd actually been thinking it might be too big a little bit and maybe the arm was pushing excess chest fabric back. But that's another area I'd rather be a little looser on.post #715 of 7157/30/15 at 7:18pm
Ok, than that slope adjustment seems to work for you! As for the full armpit, that's fine, but you will naturally see more lines with arms down as opposed to a more restricted range of movement with the tailored fit (because of the attachment angle). If you feel comfortable right now, I'd leave it as is. Chest certainly looks fine from the pictures.
- Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 42 seconds ago
- › W. Bill Green Linen Custom Run 1 minute ago
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 3 minutes ago
- › Dress in Academia 6 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 6 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 7 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 7 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...