or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 79

post #1171 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post

@beyondmars2020
1. The Albini White Oxford Chambray fabric since it could be dressed up or dressed down. If you want something cheaper and more durable than the Heavy White Oxford but that might feel thick in the summer as well look more on the casual end of the spectrum. http://propercloth.com/fabrics/white/casual/
I'd get soft two button cuffs since most gents I see wear one button so it's a subtle "dash" of style, soft placket, and either the Soft President Spread collar to play it safe or the Soft Roma Cutaway collar if you want something a little more big and bold. It's my favorite collar for how it looks with a tie and without a tie and how it tucks under a blazer.

Do you use the supplied collar stays with the Soft Roma shirts? I never use them, but my Soft Roma collar points tend to 'fly away' without the stays, worn sans tie. Which is a shame, because it just doesn't make sense to me to wear a soft collar'd shirt with metal stays...

Any trick to keep the points tucked under the jacket?
post #1172 of 1607
@Zeppelin
Any trick to keep the points tucked under the jacket?

Some ideas:
1. Get some cheap plastic stays from Amazon and bend or curve them to fit under the collar better
2. Have a tailor put in hidden buttons
3. You could try these http://fashionanchors.com
4. Magnetic collar stays but you did mention preferring not using metal
5. See if it's the same on all of your blazers and sport coats, maybe some have collar gap

PC said they are changing the construction and dimensions of the Roma and president collars so not sure how that will affect how collars tuck under a blazer. Hopefully for the best.

To be honest I have not tried any of those. If I'm not wearing a tie I'm usually in a more casual frame of mind so less concerned. I am curious to try the third option though. It's also been a while since I've worn any type of collar stay.
Edited by bluescholar - 3/12/16 at 7:04am
post #1173 of 1607
Do we actually know what the changes to the collars will be? Speaking only for myself, I know I don't want the Roma's reduced in specs
post #1174 of 1607
They haven't said, but I know they were looking at changing the interlining on the stiff ones.
post #1175 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Do we actually know what the changes to the collars will be? Speaking only for myself, I know I don't want the Roma's reduced in specs

Agreed. The Roma Spread definitely doesn't need to be any smaller.
post #1176 of 1607
I'm about to give the soft Roma cutaway a try on an Oxford fabric...will be curious to see how it compares to what I've tried from PC (Milano II) thus far
post #1177 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

I'm about to give the soft Roma cutaway a try on an Oxford fabric...will be curious to see how it compares to what I've tried from PC (Milano II) thus far
I think the soft Roma cutaway would look great with a hefty oxford fabric. Unfortunately, I used it on the Albini Navy Stripe Oxford Chambray. That fabric was too lightweight to stand up to a substantial collar. The collar looks anemic on that shirt as a result. If I had it to do over I would have done it on a heavy oxford.
post #1178 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post

I think the soft Roma cutaway would look great with a hefty oxford fabric. Unfortunately, I used it on the Albini Navy Stripe Oxford Chambray. That fabric was too lightweight to stand up to a substantial collar. The collar looks anemic on that shirt as a result. If I had it to do over I would have done it on a heavy oxford.

I've heard this a few times, but never seen any pics to provide a visual. I'd be very curious to see pics of this.

Note: this is presumably for wearing the shirt without a tie, correct? I would imagine any collar would stand up and "stay" as is with a tie to keep things in place.
post #1179 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

I've heard this a few times, but never seen any pics to provide a visual. I'd be very curious to see pics of this.

Note: this is presumably for wearing the shirt without a tie, correct? I would imagine any collar would stand up and "stay" as is with a tie to keep things in place.
Yes, this is without a tie. I'll wear the shirt next week and post a pic.

And the collar does stay up. When I say anemic, I'm trying to describe the incongruity of a big ol' soft collar with a flimsy fabric. I wish I could describe it better. My aesthetic sense says that a soft collar calls for a substantial fabric.
post #1180 of 1607
I'm hoping they do not decrease dimensions of the Roma collars. That said I wonder if they are changing how it's sewn together or anything else. I have tried several PC collars but still have not tried either of the Milano I or II collars. Might feel more incentive to go Milano if the Roma gets smaller.
post #1181 of 1607

Would changing the posture alignment drastically alter other measurements of the shirt, or would it be a negligible/not applicable effect?

 

I do get a slight bit of bubbling/fabric fold up behind the collar, so was thinking to do bump the neck back by 0.5"

post #1182 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

I'm about to give the soft Roma cutaway a try on an Oxford fabric...will be curious to see how it compares to what I've tried from PC (Milano II) thus far

Ha, me, too. I ordered the soft roma cutaway with the light blue cotton-linen oxford fabric. http://propercloth.com/fabrics/light-blue-cotton-linen-oxford-1454.html

My only other PC shirt is the soft Ivy button-down, which I love and frankly is one of the best button-down collars I've found. Sadly, PC's placket is too narrow for my tastes so unless they widen it or give another option, it'll probably be my only one from them. But if this soft roma works out, and the fabric is great, there are a couple other fabrics I'm looking at. The stripe linen-cotton looks amazing to me, too http://propercloth.com/fabrics/light-blue-cotton-linen-stripe-1518.html
post #1183 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrockss View Post


Ha, me, too. I ordered the soft roma cutaway with the light blue cotton-linen oxford fabric. http://propercloth.com/fabrics/light-blue-cotton-linen-oxford-1454.html

My only other PC shirt is the soft Ivy button-down, which I love and frankly is one of the best button-down collars I've found. Sadly, PC's placket is too narrow for my tastes so unless they widen it or give another option, it'll probably be my only one from them. But if this soft roma works out, and the fabric is great, there are a couple other fabrics I'm looking at. The stripe linen-cotton looks amazing to me, too http://propercloth.com/fabrics/light-blue-cotton-linen-stripe-1518.html

Those do look good. I was thinking of the University Stripe Oxford for mine.

 

My only PC shirts thus far are sans placket (this would be placketed), so it'll be interesting to see just how "slim" they run...admittedly, I don't think I've ever (PC or otherwise) heard of a narrow placket as an issue.

post #1184 of 1607

It may shock you to learn that menswear customers on the internet can be extremely picky

 

and I'm not excluding myself from that

post #1185 of 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post
 

Those do look good. I was thinking of the University Stripe Oxford for mine.

 

My only PC shirts thus far are sans placket (this would be placketed), so it'll be interesting to see just how "slim" they run...admittedly, I don't think I've ever (PC or otherwise) heard of a narrow placket as an issue.

Mine seem fine. But then I dont really pay attention to the placket. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread